Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thinking about getting a thermal screen cover for the outside of the windscreen and side windows and just wondered your thoughts on them and if they cut down on the condensation?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
silverscreens are an absolute must in our opinion. keeps the cab warmer in winter with no condensation and cooler in summer avoiding the greenhouse effect of all that glass

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
oh and the best ones we have found in all the years we have used them and tried nearly all are the originals made by silverscreens themselves. taylormade and others are knock off copies of far less quality

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I also use external silver screens which keep the MH warmer inside and virtually eliminate condensation (y)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Are the silver screens the Paragon ones or the Taylormade?
Which are the originals?

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
oh and the best ones we have found in all the years we have used them and tried nearly all are the originals made by silverscreens themselves. taylormade and others are knock off copies of far less quality
Very informative!

My first set of taylormade screens bought new used for 51/2 years sold with van after 120 +nights a year, still perfect.
Second set bought secondhand used for 5years sold 3 years ago and still good condition according to current owner.
Currently using secondhand set that are 3 years old and perfect.
And all Taylormade. Where does the knock off quality fit in?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Taylormade & Para-Gon silver screens generally rate as equally good by those who have had both :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Interior ones will stop condensation as they insulate the cold glass from the interiors warm damp air from your breathing
/QUOTE]

Agree that internal ones are good (we have Milenco) but do still get some condensation even in autumn & spring but understand none with Taylormade/Para-Gon so better in very hot or winter weather.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Very informative!

My first set of taylormade screens bought new used for 51/2 years sold with van after 120 +nights a year, still perfect.
Second set bought secondhand used for 5years sold 3 years ago and still good condition according to current owner.
Currently using secondhand set that are 3 years old and perfect.
And all Taylormade. Where does the knock off quality fit in?
I buy vans, do them up and sell on. over the years have had many many sets included with various shape vans. without fail the taylormade ones have had poor stitching and less padding. on the other hand pretty much all the genuine silverscreens have been as new even after prolonged use.

several years ago I bought a new set of taylormade screens for a vw lt as nobody else had them on the shelf. took them back after a few weeks as they were a bad fit and the stitching was fraying. A very unpleasant chap to deal with, in my opinion more like a dodgy second hand car salesman

bear in mind it was silverscreens that first came up with the idea and designed the originals. They did the r&d and sourced the best materials possible. when sales took off other companies copied the idea and did their best to undercut the price of the originals as is always the case. sadly though the workmanship was not matched. I have even seen sets of taylormade screens with the silver coating peeling off. not something you see with silverscreens

so I am offering the benefit of 20+ years of experience using various screen covers and have no connection with any supplier. just a very satisfied customer happy to recomend genuine silverscreens. Is that informative enough for you @sweetie ??

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I buy vans, do them up and sell on. over the years have had many many sets included with various shape vans. without fail the taylormade ones have had poor stitching and less padding. on the other hand pretty much all the genuine silverscreens have been as new even after prolonged use.

several years ago I bought a new set of taylormade screens for a vw lt as nobody else had them on the shelf. took them back after a few weeks as they were a bad fit and the stitching was fraying. A very unpleasant chap to deal with, in my opinion more like a dodgy second hand car salesman

bear in mind it was silverscreens that first came up with the idea and designed the originals. They did the r&d and sourced the best materials possible. when sales took off other companies copied the idea and did their best to undercut the price of the originals as is always the case. sadly though the workmanship was not matched. I have even seen sets of taylormade screens with the silver coating peeling off. not something you see with silverscreens

so I am offering the benefit of 20+ years of experience using various screen covers and have no connection with any supplier. just a very satisfied customer happy to recomend genuine silverscreens. Is that informative enough for you @sweetie ??
NO
I am not knocking silver screens, but putting my and friends opinions the same as you. And have never had any problems with stitching or the amount of insulation in them..
Yes I have heard about a bad batch of material where the silver coating peeled and one of the complainants had them replaced quickly.
Sorry my benefit only goes back 15 years. I bow to your superior knowledge.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Van comfort for winter use
Broken Link Removed

and internal ones below for summer use and use on Aires
Broken Link Removed

These are excellent value, fit well,suckers are again excellent

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We've got a set of thermal internal blinds which came with the Vehicle. 14 plate Transit. But as we don't use it in winter these are not much use. What we really want is just some reflective blinds to put on the outside of the windscreen to keep the sun out when parked up for a couple of weeks in the South of France.

Had thought of cutting up and adapting a survival blanket as they are thin and shiny, unless anyone has better ideas ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Had thought of cutting up and adapting a survival blanket as they are thin and shiny, unless anyone has better ideas ?

in the past I've used anything to hand.. something as simple as a bit of cardboard, a blanket, a car windscreen sun blind, etc.. held in place by the wipers parked vertically ..

or from most DIY shops, the silver insulation material you put behind radiators.. anything really..

your idea would also work well..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Taylormade for me.
Used for approx 6 months every year for 5 years in temps from +40c summer to -25c skiing in the alps and still as good as the day I bought em.
Absolutely no condensation when fitted.:)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back