crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
can any members tell me how to find Ayres and Moterhome sites for the route i intend to take above, my plan is to spend 5/6 months away this winter, i am new to MH so not clued up on the score

thanks in advance

crabs

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Campercontact app,
Park4night app,
Aires books,
Searchforsites website,
FurgoVW website.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There are some postings on suggested routes and places to stop available by searching onFun, many are tried and tested and have been posted by very experienced Funsters. Happy searching and happy travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your route will depend on whether you want to spend on tolls or not and how quickly you want to get to your destination. I have placed in the resources section, Non toll routes for France and Spain. (Best toll and non toll routes France and Spain motorway maps)(I should have done a better job with the titles). Both these sites will provide you with all the information you need to plan your routes to your destination in France and/or Spain using toll and non toll routes or a combination of both.
Tonka's route which is fine I.M.O. uses much of the famous N10 route you will find in the French download and is used by many people travelling to Spain in the winter. (Snow free)
As for myself, I tend to do France in two days, driving on Sat & Sunday when the roads are more or less free of HGV's. First overnight stop at Chateaundun and second night just above Irun on the Spanish border. As you never gave your destination in Spain,I will go no further with stop over suggestions.
Be aware, you can do almost all of the A63 from Bordeaux to Irun for free. Exit at Jct 18, rejoin at 17,exit at Jct 12 and rejoin at jct 8 and pay the last few tolls before crossing into Spain.
Finally, consider buying All the aires Spain and Portugal (4th edition) if you want to keep your camping costs down to a minimum.
Safe travels.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks Philandmena i prefer to save on tolls so your route sounds good and i am in no rush anyway, and i have no idea where i willl end up in spain aa well, i am going to get the 4th edittion of the aires of Spain and portugal sounds good.
regards

crabs

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Before you get the all the Aires books I would sguest looking at the campercontact app as suggested above. (Free)
Another useful app is the via michelin app. (Free)

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
gets better all the time lol thanks all,

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks for your replies jumar and Boringfrog, i will check them out

I posted about my planned trip to Europe starting September, had good advice from members, used to be one of the dirty rotten scoundrels driving HGV around Europe, now I got myself a Motorhome and want to see the tourist side of things, been searching for a satnav that will be up to the job, I read the reviews some say they have no problems others say they have terrible problems with them, Who has the best satnav for a motorhome I need to put in Height etc, I did ask about this before but I am nun the wiser regarding satnavs, in my truck I stuck to motorways so had no problems with low bridges or narrow roads, don't mind if its a Garmen or a TomTom just want it to do the job right, what say you members what's the best for me? or you

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know what size your motorhome is but you most likely don't need anything too sophisticated on the sat nav front, if you want to see France or wherever just set to avoid tolls read the signpost for low bridges and weight limits and you won't go far wrong.

Enjoy.

Martin

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
10 height MH, martin, trying to remember to look out for signs these days lol, I will have the roof off been a while since I gave up the HGV, remember I was on motorways and industrial estates, can see these days got glasses with lenses so thick they look re-entry shields :LOL::LOL:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I posted about my planned trip to Europe starting September, had good advice from members, used to be one of the dirty rotten scoundrels driving HGV around Europe, now I got myself a Motorhome and want to see the tourist side of things, been searching for a satnav that will be up to the job, I read the reviews some say they have no problems others say they have terrible problems with them, Who has the best satnav for a motorhome I need to put in Height etc, I did ask about this before but I am nun the wiser regarding satnavs, in my truck I stuck to motorways so had no problems with low bridges or narrow roads, don't mind if its a Garmen or a TomTom just want it to do the job right, what say you members what's the best for me? or you
I have the Tom Tom camper and caravan S.N. and it does it all. I am pleased with it's user interface and find it great on complicated jcts and it's reliability. My only gripe, is paying extra for map updates and live services and If I could get these free I would consider moving to another S.N. (You might be able to buy direct from Tom Tom with free lifetime updates but not certain).
I have heard good things about Garmin and if I did move I would keep with one of the major S.N manufacturers, some of these cheap Chinese S.N. are ok until you try and update them.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The French CCI website provides free SatNav POI files of aires, service points and campsites all over Europe that are updated daily. Loads of info on aires and what users think of them too. I plan all our trips with it.

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/recherche.php

As you mention you're travelling south for the winter you might want to double check aire opening dates and whether or not their service points are working off season.

One I can recommend is Parc Futuroscope which is just off the Autoroute at Jaunay-Clan north of Poitiers. The parking area is open even when the park isn't, and there's a supermarket and MH friendly petrol station just round the corner. The parking area is massive so you never have to worry about finding a spot whatever time you arrive there. Height is restricted to 3.5m though.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
thanks Phil your right stick with the major SN make. I am still looking into it all,

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use a Tom Tom 1005 Camper Sat Nav with lifetime map updates. We haven't had any problems with it but it does sometimes take you a long way round.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you dont really need much get a michelin map of france . buy an aires book when you get over there . yes its in french but that makes you look in a dictionary . good for learning a language .
avoid all main roads just use smaller ones .
for spain and portugal look on amazon for a mapamax map book of spain and portugal.
you can forget sat nav not needed and if you want adventure just hug the coast .
visit any village you will find water and somewhere to stop the night . parking not camping . just dont empty things out and have chairs and tables outside . keep your eyes open for low bridge signs etc dont rush go as slow as you can and enjoy the drive .
might even see you somewhere .
mini artics rule ,hee hee.
come on you dont need a sad nav .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Only trouble Tom Tom camper now discontinued

Joe
I would re-check that with Tom Tom. Whilst some dealers no longer have them in stock my last conversation with Tom Tom confirmed they still support this model and will be producing more once they get the latest models out to dealers. That was some time ago mind, so I would expect to see them on the shelf by now.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
again thanks Phil, you know i have a Pronav PNN200 without the European maps TomTom no longer support this model and I cant get a update from them, it was a proven good satnav, I have a contact who thinks he has a new map upgrade for it, if he can find it I am home free and wont have to buy another satnav, but for this new long trip around Europe I need a satnav as I don't intend to stay on the motorways,

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would re-check that with Tom Tom. Whilst some dealers no longer have them in stock my last conversation with Tom Tom confirmed they still support this model and will be producing more once they get the latest models out to dealers. That was some time ago mind, so I would expect to see them on the shelf by now.

Everywhere I've checked says discontinued tuned and tomtom don't list it for sale

Joe

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Correct Joe and that's why I phoned them direct when they stated the model is still supported but were very busy producing new models and as soon as these were out to the dealers the camper model would be available again. Mind you, that was some time ago and I would have thought the model would be available by now.
I'm going to ring them now and get the latest update.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I now stand corrected. Just had it directly from Tom Tom and will be receiving email confirmation shortly.
Tom Tom has discontinued the Camper and Caravan Sat Nav but will continue to provide map updates and live services to this model. I'm a little gobsmacked as the Sat Nav is part of their 'Go Live' series and was released only a few years ago.

Does this mean I now have the Camper and Caravan limited edition....LOL

The agent I spoke to suggested I buy their brand new truck model and I suspect this does exactly the same job as the Camper and Caravan (Hence the continued map update and Live services support).
Perhaps their thinking is why produce two different models that does the same thing ! Drop one and hopefully existing users will buy the new and increase our sales.
Although very disappointed with Tom Tom, I will look at their Truck model and compare it with other makes If ever I change my Sat Nav in the future.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
  • what i need instead of a satnav is a man with a flag on a stick walking in front of me for the journey, any offers I pay a good rate £3.50 per hour and all the doughnuts you can eat :D

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@PhilandMena - The truck version won't contain all the POIs on it.

Don't know how long it would take to load them all but quite some considerable time I'd have thought.

Joe
Providing third party POI's can be loaded, it takes seconds and there are loads of POI's to choose from. I disable almost all of mine so there's no clutter on the screen, I just keep petrol stations on when driving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back