iPad question (1 Viewer)

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to repost this in a different section but had no replies in "computer" which either means no one has an answer o less people read it. Any help appreciated.

We don't have a TV when we travel but I do have a couple of iPads. On a recent plane journey I saw something called a Leef iBridge which is a USB Flash Drive with Lightning Connector. I started thinking this may be a good way of downloading TV programmes to take and watch on the iPad while in Spain over winter. Looking at the reviews it would seem that they are mainly used for photo storage but will store videos. However not from a direct download. I am thinking of downloading some stuff on player then onto one of these drives. A couple of questions please for anyone who knows/uses/understands these devices.
Firstly do they work as I want them to i.e. from player to iMac to memory? and then will then play on my iPad?
Secondly having a quick look on places like e bay the price is massively variable so is it you get what you pay for?
Anyone use them? Any advice please?

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Madmag
I bought a top of the range Ipad and wished I hadn’t.

It has been such a pain trying to do all the things I did on a Android tablet and computer, the amount of money I’ve spent trying to get things onto this I pad to play at different times is ridiculous.

With the Ipad it does not operate like a pc or laptop you cannot access files, all items loaded onto the Ipad must have an application, the I pad is also limited to various movie files unless you convert them to the correct format, I don’t want to spend time doing that. The tablet itself is great but far to limiting in my view, I know people will say all you have to do, but my argument is you should not have to, I do not have this problem with Android. There is something called an IStick which I bought which was £35 but that stopped working the lead you are talking about I bought £30 but as you say it’s only good for photos etc. I’ve bought a lead so I can link the Ipad to the tv through the HDMI cable don’t know if that will work but I’m not that hopeful.

I’m considering just keeping the Ipad for limited use and buying a Sony or a Samsung Android Tablet and making my life easier.

Probably not what you want to here but if anyone can find an easier way to do these things with and Ipad I will gladly listen after paying out nearly £700.

Best Wishes Tony

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Will you have an internet connection? If so, use the sky go app via vpn (to make sky think your in the UK) and you can watch all your sky stuff on the IPad. Ive done this all over the world with no issues. Other options, use iTunes and download stuff onto the iPad before going or use amazon prime app and stream

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
IPad Pro here , amazing bit of kit . Never had a problem downloading anything onto it , ever .
Hi There Adbt Does the Ipad Pro allow you to access all the file system like you can on a mac computer or is it a bit like the Ipad air 2?
best wishes Tony

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Will you have an internet connection? If so, use the sky go app via vpn
Hi taff015 that's good advice I would think that would work for the BBC Iplayer as well as I don't have Sky. Do you use yours for BBC Iplayer as well?
best Wishes Tony

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
As far as i am aware, yes. I haven't used iplayer or the itv ones etc but with a vpn you can pretty much use anything you can in the uk anywhere in the world as it will think your in the UK. The only issues I had were the sometimes dodgy internet connections in Afghanistan. I do remember watching the Rugby World cup so I must have used the ITV or BBC versions at some point!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you have decent wi-fi connection the free Film On app will allow you to access films plus main stream tv channels.
We watched an entire GP on Ch 4 on iPad while sitting at a Spanish camper stop.

Richard.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the replies. Firstly what is a VPN?? We don't have a TV so the idea was to download from I player but to store on some kind of memory stick that would work with my I pad rather than filling up all the memory with direct downloads. I don't really know how much space downloaded programmes take up. Actually I do have Sky Go so that would be an option if decent wifi. I've never bothered before so if complicated or needs expensive bits then might not bother this winter either.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
A VPN. would allow you to access bbc I player from abroad for example.

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
hi a VPN is a virtual private network. this allows you to fool things like sky into thinking you are in the uk and allows watching of uk only stuff. basically, you log into whatever internet provider you have then log into the VPN app. this then creates a UK (or wherever you choose) IP address. This is also how you get past internet providers that don't allow certain websites!!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use our ipad as a bedroom TV.. we've got a laptop and tablets for serious stuff .
It is a very good TV .. perfect size and great picture.
Sometimes stream files to it but usually just use streaming services.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Found what I think is the answer to my original question although Thanks, I have learnt a lot from your answers basically the answer is No you can't download from I player to PC then transfer it to a memory stick and play it on your iPad at a later date apparently it's all down to the downloads being 'drm' files which basically mean the download expires 30 days after it has been downloaded. It is possible to get round this is you are feeling technical and follow lots of stuff on YouTube etc but it's beyond me & not worth the hassle as far as I am concerned.
If I am honest we never have had a TV on our travels so why start now so I am quite pleased with the answer.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I would suggest that you treat yourself to an external USB drive but with a built in Wireless capability. This will allow you to connect to it using any device ... Ipad, Phone, PC, Mac etc. The films can be in mp4 and would play on most devices either with VLC or the app that goes with the USB drive. Depending on the size of the drive you can store perhaps 100+ films and connect to your TV through an HDMI connector.

The connector can be found on Ebay, Amazon and Apple ...http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=91
Wireless drive but of course there are other makes ...Amazon product ASIN B00K67ECDI
Colin

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I wouldn't be without my iPad in my truck, I've always got 6 or 7 films on it, at least, plus a few tv shows. As A way to watch stuff it's great.

It is however limited in the ways that you can watch things, essentially there are 3 ways, streaming via data, downloading from iTunes, iplayer, Sky go, amazonprime etc or using one of the wifi hdd cherry pirate suggested.

It's not a computer so don't expect to use it like one.

Depending on the source, a film can take up between 1.5 -2.5 gig of space, what size storage are your iPads?

I currently have 6 films downloaded from iTunes which take up 10 gig,

I have 6 films and 16 tv episodes downloaded from Amazon prime which takes up 24 gig.

From memory I think stuff downloaded from iplayer and Skygo are much more memory efficient but do have a time limit before automatically deleting themselves.

OP
OP
M
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks. That was actually one of my other queries. How much space do I need. Reading above I should have plenty as I have upgraded my iPad from 32 to 128gb. I am keeping the old one for all the travel stuff like maps , sat Nav and site details this means I will have masses of space on the other so shouldn't need any external storage. Now all I've got to do is find programmes worth keeping!

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
VPN, this app does the job https://hola.org/ .Fools aps into thinking you are in the UK, you can't even listen to Test Match on iplayer radio without a VPN if abroad. Free on PC but there is a small monthly charge on Ipad. The good news is the fee is not reoccurring so only use and pay for it when you need it.

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Another advocate of Filmon.com, watch UK TV all over Europe (when we feel the need) all you need is wifi.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back