So many times I've been overtaken by speeding caravans (1 Viewer)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Agree Jim. I wonder why so many tuggers think that the towing speed limits don't apply to them, many a time on the motorway I get passed by caravans.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Self inflicted I'd say. I too have often been overtaken at speed by towed caravans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Yes, a few overtook us on our way home from Falkirk this week. I wonder if people take any notice of the 80% rule when towing a caravan???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
+the inability to drive .
When I lived in Devon, once spring came it was a weekly occurrence of an overturned caravan between J25, Taunton & 26 Wellington.

The only overturned caravan I have ever seen here was a British one.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Just this last week on the M6 there have been 3 such disasters with caravans ,I saw one by junction 31 and the tailbacks were miles long .I remember in Yorkshire a few years back on a long downhill straight a caravan passed me at great speed and a few minutes later so did an ambulance the caravan was on its side smashed up and the driver and his wife were both hurt.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can someone tell me how fast the caravan was traveling at.

Too fast by the looks of it. But I'm no expert, I know that, radical manoeuvres, the wrong loading giving C of G problems, overloaded nose weight, overall weight, the car caravan combination weights. Can all cause serious problems. But, you might get away with any of those problems at low speed, but...

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
+the inability to drive .
When I lived in Devon, once spring came it was a weekly occurrence of an overturned caravan between J25, Taunton & 26 Wellington.

The only overturned caravan I have ever seen here was a British one.

You'll be pleased to know it hasn't changed, I think the large 4x4 are the biggest culprits, they seem to forget they're towing something very lightweight and not stable at high speeds, we got passed by a few on the way down to Cornwall this week with the caravan swaying about on the back.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Us too. To and from Devon last month on motorways 90% of the time I lost count of the times we were overtaken by tuggers. I tend to sit in cc at around 60 mph which is probably 56/57 on the sat nav, perhaps it's too slow for them?

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Having recently become a tugger I drive with extreme caution and I attended a training course before using the van.

Only once have I passed a motorhome on the motorway and it scared the life out of me; I felt the overtake was necessary because the mh was travelling at 45 mph, staying behind it meant that all lorries etc were passing me and causing crazy buffetting.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Suppose really its time a caravan / large trailer driving test was introduced along with a mot type assessment of trailer ...

While I totally agree with you that people should be trained unless you can get through to them the towing weight capability of the tow vehicle the need for correct loading, The fact that whatever the total weight of the caravan is the nose weight should be 7% of that weight and should under no circumstances exceed the tow vehicle manufactures nose weight nor the caravan manufactures nose weight.

Recently saw a twin axle being hooked up to a tow car that I doubt was truly capable of towing it then saw all the toys and BBQ + gas bottle plus bikes and awing ground sheet being packed inside it then the awning was stuffed into the gas locker at the front. Off they went car back down - caravan nose down and totally oblivious to the danger they present not only to them selves but to other traffic.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Many years ago I was towing a Compass Rallye behind a heavy old Ford Sierra. I never sped, was meticulous about the towing weights and considered myself a careful and safe driver.

Coming back from a holiday in Cornwall on the M4 just south of Oxford, on the flat and level, a coach passed me doing about 75mph I reckon (I was at 60mph on inside lane). The bow wave started a snake; I eased off exactly as they say you should, no brakes etc. As we slowed and from about 50mph through to 30mph the van was bouncing off each wheel. It was quite terrifying, kids in the back screaming and wife almost woke up! Shortly after that I changed the van to a lightweight Swift with alloy chassis making my rig something like 60% of tow car weight.

Quite scary when it goes pear shaped!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Not condoning speed but would it have anything to do with age. Most motorhome drivers are old possibly retired and no children. The caravan driver could still be working, cash rich but time poor, kids screaming in the back and just wants to get from A to B in the shortest possible time. The journey may be something they endure rather than enjoy, not excusing bad driving but looking at possible reasons.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
I thought I was tonking along at warp speed yesterday on the A14 (66mph) and TAG caravan being towed by a RRS went helling past - if only common sense was common.....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Speed is always the biggest factor in these accidents but weight balance also has a big effect. Had a Lunar caravan, before our first long trip in it I carefully balanced the weight I took the spare wheel out of the front locker and put in on the floor above the axle and carefully packed the van so the noseweight was correct. A few mile down the motorway from Calais got the most horrendous sway, slowed down carefully when safe to stop through everything back in the front locker and it towed fine after that. Our last caravan was a Hobby had a very light nose weight even had a bike rack on the back and that towed like a dream.

Deleted User
Suppose really its time a caravan / large trailer driving test was introduced along with a mot type assessment of trailer ...

I thought there was, is it not called B+E? Don't know what the test covers but it should certainly cover correct outfit matching and loading.
Agree with the MOT for trailers, most other EU countries have some form of testing.

I have always towed with the correct nose weight and this usually gives a slight nose down to the van, much preferable to having weight at the back end causing a pendulum effect.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There is....it's called the B+E test, unless you use grandfather rights then it's called common sense which seems to be on holiday most of the time.
Didn't realise that as have all my life towed all sorts of things and of course at my age (over 21) never had to take any test to tow....so does that now mean that anyone say in their 20/30s etc have to pass this test to tow a caravan ???? Roy

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Forfar five East Fife four ..? Supposedly came from James Alexander Gordon on the Saturday night footie scores, not sure if that score ever happened though.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Us too. To and from Devon last month on motorways 90% of the time I lost count of the times we were overtaken by tuggers. I tend to sit in cc at around 60 mph which is probably 56/57 on the sat nav, perhaps it's too slow for them?

I think most tend to drive at the upper end of their speed limit, we only drive at around 60-65mph in the MH and we got passed 3 or 4 times by car and caravan doing well above that

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Forfar five East Fife four ..? Supposedly came from James Alexander Gordon on the Saturday night footie scores, not sure if that score ever happened though.

Apparently so, in the 1963-4 season.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not condoning speed but would it have anything to do with age. Most motorhome drivers are old possibly retired and no children. The caravan driver could still be working, cash rich but time poor, kids screaming in the back and just wants to get from A to B in the shortest possible time. The journey may be something they endure rather than enjoy, not excusing bad driving but looking at possible reasons.

Even more reason to look after your precious cargo!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We know that but sometimes people do strange things.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back