Yikes! Just sold our Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Spent yesterday cleaning and polishing it to within an inch of its life yesterday, then we sold it around mid day today, and I feel like a big part of me is missing.
It had a professional damp test, and despite it being a British van, no damp was found, not even a tiny bit!
We will be spending more time in France this year, coming back every couple of months for a week or so, so have decided to get a left hand drive.
Then, we decided our van was too small to use how we want, and there aren't enough seat belts, so we started looking at larger vans.
Stupidly, we looked at an RV, now everything else looks too small!

So, we are off to look at a replacement tomorrow morning, an American RV ( used, I'm not that mad.....)
We have weighed up the pros and cons of an RV, more costly at the pump, longer, wider, taller than a eurovan, but Mrs A made a good point after our scary trip over the Pyrenees a few weeks ago, no more narrow mountain roads with hairpin bends. Well, I don't know about that, I can still do handbrake turns........ ( but don't tell her) and I can set the sat nav up so it thinks we are a lorry, that should keep us out of the tiny back lanes. I have a PCV licence and used to drive double deckers and 12 metre long coaches, so, as they say, the size doesn't matter to me.

Long term plan is to live in it most of the time while renovating the house in Brittany, then scoot off to some winter sun when the fancy takes us.

I miss the old van, but can't wait to get a new one....

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations! When most people are downsizing you are upsizing!! It will be great to live in while you are doing up the house! So win win!!(y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Strangely enough I feel as excited as you are. An RV, well jealous!!! :)

We need pictures ASAP so that we can all share the joy please :)

We say they're big (and they are compared to our vans), but I like the term spacious and after a while you'll hardly notice it. Lots of RV reviews on YouTube too :)

Good luck!! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Been looking at insurance, and quotes so far are in the ridiculous range! Most expensive was £1600 from Comfort!
Going to have to do some serious ringing around today....

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well done with the sale,now the excitement starts now!!
Insurance sounds a bit steep though,must be they know about the handbrake turns!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tell Mrs A you can still go over the Pyrenees in a big vehicle it just adds to the excitement.(y)
Col de Somport when the tunnel was shut & I went over the top I had a Polish artic in front.:D

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Sounds great. You either love them or hate them, we've had our baby RV 7 years and love it.
I'm sure you know this but unless you have your HGV licence you will be restricted to 7.5t. Sounds expensive for insurance, obviously depends on value of vehicle but we pay around £1200 full timing insurance.
Looking forward to hearing about your search and purchase.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We got our insurance through Safeguard and we're paying about £500. Your RV may be more recent and more valuable than ours, though. Compton also gave a good price.

We've only had our RV for a couple of months, it's 30 feet long, so relatively small as RVs go. We love the living space it gives us, and the large walk-round bed. Of course, there are disadvantages - more expensive to run, and there are some places you just can't go. Driving it on some roads is a bit of a challenge - it's the width more than the length that's the issue.

Steve

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a PCV licence and used to drive double deckers and 12 metre long coaches, so, as they say, the size doesn't matter to me.

I'm sure you're aware but be careful with that.

PCV is Cat D on licences now. That is not the same thing as HGV which is Cat C

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We had RVs for around 10 years and had to part with our last one , a 30 footer due to a 70 year old licence renewal hiccup .
Miss it but the Hymers pretty good .
Good luck.
BTW , are there complications if registering in France ?

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Well, we did the deed. It's a 1999 Winnebago Brave, 31ft long and under 7500kg, so no need for a licence upgrade.
We went for an older one to see if we could cope with the extra dimensions, maybe get a newer one in a few years, if we have any money left after the house refurb.
It's in pretty good condition all round and runs beautifully, can't wait to bring her home, after the insurance details are sorted out.
Will post a few pictures when I have my grubby hands on the keys.......

I think registering this in France will be nigh on impossible, but we will keep an address in the UK and keep popping back to visit family, open the post and pick up meds.

Maybe the next one will be bought in France and already registered there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back