Tip for buying tyres (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I'll start a new thread for this as I don't want it to get lost in my other posts.
Just bought 3 new Michelin Agilis camping car tyres 215/70Q15 109Q.
I normally pay £405.
Checked with Kwik Fit on line, price for 3 tyres, balanced, fitted and filled with nitrogen £300.
You order and pay on line, select your nearest Kwik Fit centre, book an appointment and they will deliver them there. A saving of over £100 is not to be sniffed at. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used Kwik Fit Mobile both on the Autoquest a few years ago and on our Burstner in January. £435.92 for four Michelin Agilis Camping fitted on our drive - and the fitter didn't even want a cuppa because he did us first job and had just had his breakfast :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'll start a new thread for this as I don't want it to get lost in my other posts.
I normally pay £405.
Checked with Kwik Fit on line, price for 3 tyres, balanced, fitted and filled with nitrogen £300.
You order and pay on line, select your nearest Kwik Fit centre, book an appointment and they will deliver them there. A saving of over £100 is not to be sniffed at. (y)
Now you learn something every day , my sil has his own tyre company, Blythe bridge tyres, plug plug, but this nitrogen thing is new to me , what's that all about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Courtesy of Kwik Fit:

The facts about nitrogen filled tyres
  • Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 racing, aviation tyres, military vehicles, NASCAR and heavy construction vehicles.
  • Nitrogen maintains tyre pressure 3 to 4 times longer than air-filled tyres and disperses heat more effectively resulting in better fuel economy.
  • Nitrogen delivers longer tread life due to less heat generation.
  • Nitrogen inflated tyres deliver optimum handling characteristics for longer as pressure is more likely to be maintained at the correct level.
  • Nitrogen also slows the chemical ageing of the tyre’s rubber components resulting in fewer tyre failures.
  • Nitrogen results in improved performance, increased safety and lower maintenance.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
RE Nitrogen....
Interesting post; thanks.

Question 1. How much more does it cost over ordinary compressed air?
Question 2. When you DO need to top up, does it have to be nitrogen? Sorry, science wasn't my strong subject (n)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Courtesy of Kwik Fit:

The facts about nitrogen filled tyres
  • Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 racing, aviation tyres, military vehicles, NASCAR and heavy construction vehicles.
  • Nitrogen maintains tyre pressure 3 to 4 times longer than air-filled tyres and disperses heat more effectively resulting in better fuel economy.
  • Nitrogen delivers longer tread life due to less heat generation.
  • Nitrogen inflated tyres deliver optimum handling characteristics for longer as pressure is more likely to be maintained at the correct level.
  • Nitrogen also slows the chemical ageing of the tyre’s rubber components resulting in fewer tyre failures.
  • Nitrogen results in improved performance, increased safety and lower maintenance.
I would happily challenge some of these claims by Kwickfit.
The two main application of Nitrogen filled tyres is A, for aircraft, because ordinary compressed air can form ice crystals at high altitudes resulting in the moisture in tyres causing vibration and balance problems when landing.
B, in motor sport, the elimination of moisture in tyres through the use of pure nitrogen (or dried compressed air) can help reduce tyre temperature when operating in extreme conditions, close to maximum load/speed.

The AA state

For passenger car tyres the main claims seem to be:

• Less corrosion – because unlike air there's no moisture in pure nitrogen
  • Slower rate of pressure loss – nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules (which make up 21% of compressed air)
Air loss can occur through the inner liner of the tyre as well through the valve, punctures, or failure of the seal between tyre and wheel rim. Pure nitrogen might leak more slowly through the liner, but you would still have to check tyre condition and pressure regularly.

Corrosion of the tyre from using normal compressed air is unlikely anyway because only the outer tread band of a car tyre contains steel – the amount of moisture reaching it from the inside is minimal.

To change to nitrogen you have to have the air already in the tyres removed before the tyres are re-inflated with purified compressed nitrogen. There will be a one-off charge per tyre but once filled with nitrogen, future top-ups would have to be with nitrogen if any advantages are to be maintained.

Overall, while accepting the possibility of purified nitrogen being of benefit in certain applications, we don't think that the cost and possible inconvenience are justified for normal passenger car use.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
RE Nitrogen....
Interesting post; thanks.

Question 1. How much more does it cost over ordinary compressed air?
Question 2. When you DO need to top up, does it have to be nitrogen? Sorry, science wasn't my strong subject (n)

1. It was included in the price of the tyres.
2. Yes it does have to be nitrogen. They said just pop back to them if they need topping up.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
just had 4 tyres same size at kwik fit, same price. best price i could find. van wouldn't fit into depot, too high, and the first fitter said Health and Safety wouldn't let them work outside. manager soon put him right and tyres fitted in their car parking area.great service though, ordered in morning online, had a call from the depot at 4.00 pm saying that was them delivered.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
just had 4 tyres same size at kwik fit, same price. best price i could find. van wouldn't fit into depot, too high, and the first fitter said Health and Safety wouldn't let them work outside. manager soon put him right and tyres fitted in their car parking area.great service though, ordered in morning online, had a call from the depot at 4.00 pm saying that was them delivered.
The reason I chose the Kwik Fit Mobile service is that our local branches can't fit the van inside and their car parking areas are small. Works well though, no having to take the van to the depot and waiting whilst other jobs are finished and no extra charge (y):)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I normally pay £405.
There's a firm called "Black Circles" who run a similar service. You choose a local fitter and they deliver to them for the fitting. It's cheaper than the mainstream tyre depots and they were very helpful when I decided to ring and confirm about the size of motorhome and would it fit in the fitting bay.

www.blackcircles.com

Wyn

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The only place to buy tyres is P & B tyres, members on here @Brian and Jo. They will also deliver and arrange local fitting.

Super tyres, super prices, super service and, if you arrive at the right time of day, bacon rolls and tea. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
There's a firm called "Black Circles" who run a similar service. You choose a local fitter and they deliver to them for the fitting. It's cheaper than the mainstream tyre depots and they were very helpful when I decided to ring and confirm about the size of motorhome and would it fit in the fitting bay.

www.blackcircles.com

Wyn

Just checked Black Circles and they would have been over £30 dearer for the three tyres.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I worked for Krap-Fit for 6 months, I would not let my worst enemy deal with them, I know things that would open many peoples eyes. There are better things than low prices, believe me.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I worked for Krap-Fit for 6 months, I would not let my worst enemy deal with them, I know things that would open many peoples eyes. There are better things than low prices, believe me.
Someone I knew who worked for a small garage in the 1980s said they were known as Kwik Fit, Kwik Fall Off. Many years ago I had to go to them (nowhere else open at the time) with punctures and ended up with new tyres when I thought they could have been repaired. I have to say, though, that the twice we have had van tyres fitted on the drive (plus when we had Tyron Bands fitted to the first van (also on the drive) the fitters were OK.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
They maybe cheap but are they 'NEW' ? Check the manufacture date on the sidewall of each tyre. I was caught out by Black Circle who sent 2 'new' tyres that were over 18 months old. Eventually after 4 deliveries (8 tyres ) they delivered 2 tyres which were under 3 months old.

?

Deleted User
They maybe cheap but are they 'NEW' ? Check the manufacture date on the sidewall of each tyre. I was caught out by Black Circle who sent 2 'new' tyres that were over 18 months old. Eventually after 4 deliveries (8 tyres ) they delivered 2 tyres which were under 3 months old.
What would you say was to old for you then? Its not like you are going to walk round the van looking at the dates and say, thats to old and replace them.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
What would you say was to old for you then? Its not like you are going to walk round the van looking at the dates and say, thats to old and replace them.

As we all know caravan & motorhome tyres do not do the mileage the same as car tyres. So the date of manufacture becomes an important factor when looking at replacing tyres. The industry standard although not law, recommends that you consider replacing tyres that are over 5 years old due to perishing sidewalls, blisters and tread degredation, so why buy a tyre that is not as new as possible. As I did, I would agree to purchase tyres that are upto 6 months old. At least that would give me 4-5 years of use.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The only place to buy tyres is P & B tyres, members on here @Brian and Jo. They will also deliver and arrange local fitting.

Super tyres, super prices, super service and, if you arrive at the right time of day, bacon rolls and tea. :)

Further then. When Brian's merry men fitted the very weird sized tyres to my RV, they were dated two weeks old. I say it again, the only place to buy motorhome tyres. (y)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I think you'll find that with certain tyres, they're made in batches and not all of the time, making shelf availability of that tyre made within the last six months sometimes difficult for the vendor to supply.

This post comes up very frequently on all of the forums and is discussed at length with the same conclusions.

A tyre which has 2015 or 2014 stamped on the side wall and that has been unused, in storage is still classed as new - even when supplying now in 2016. It will have no detrimental effect to that tyres performance or life.
It should be when the tyre is fitted to the wheel and first started to be used and stored on the van (if your van is in storage) that you should then start your count down clocks.
My van takes 225/75/R16 camping tyres.
Michelin are renowned for produces their Agilis Camping tyre in this size in batches. They don't manufacture it all of the time. Only on demand.
As long as they're not supplying you with a 2008 date stamp on the tyre and selling as new, there's no problem. A tyre with 2-3yrs old date stamp is fine and still classed as new for they're industry.
The problem lies with the vendor/tyre shop supplying you, not explaining this and because you are buying a new tyre, you as the customer are expecting one straight out of the mould.
Michelin will confirm this.
So Black Circles and any other vendor is not doing anything wrong with doing this.

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Gavlad, we are all entitled to our opinions and that's good for discussion but if I'm buying & paying for something new then I expect as 'new' as possible. Suppliers of tyres including Blackcircle know exactly what they are doing and will off load old tyres if they can. I agree certain tyre sizes are made in batches and mine are the same size as yours, but to be offered tyres that are over 18 months old and within 4 days offered tyres under 3 month old the supplier is basically taking the preverbial.....

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Gavlad, we are all entitled to our opinions and that's good for discussion but if I'm buying & paying for something new then I expect as 'new' as possible. Suppliers of tyres including Blackcircle know exactly what they are doing and will off load old tyres if they can. I agree certain tyre sizes are made in batches and mine are the same size as yours, but to be offered tyres that are over 18 months old and within 4 days offered tyres under 3 month old the supplier is basically taking the preverbial.....
You are entitled to your opinions - it's an open forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back