Aug 2, 2008
anywhere & everywhere
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
9 years
Hi Everyone,

We need an "A" frame to hook up our VW Sharan to our RV. Already bought a "Brake Buddy system" from the States, and now looking for the "A" frame to bolt it all together.

Any suggestions would be gratfully received

cheers Malc & Gina

:whatthe:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
At close to 2000 KG thats some toad, we know the RV wont care but a UK style A frame may not be up to the job:whatthe:
You might have to go American Blue Ox or similar to cope
Could not in all honesty recomend the Cox version but maybe Towtal or Caratow might be a possibility check with the A frame makers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NickF

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Nr Caernarfon North Wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze
Exp
on and off for years
I'm sure this has been asked before but i can't find it - Can anyone shed any light on whether is it legal to tow a car on a A frame - assuming the car is with the vehicle in the towing weights limits etc.

It's just over the last 3 months when i have spoken to some companies about towing a car on the road versis put it on a trailor they have all told me that a A frame ( even a solid mounted on) is not to be used unless it's for rescue purposes only.

So i had convinced myself that a 4 wheel trailor is the only way to go to cover me with a vehicle around all of europe - italy, france, germany etc

So has anyone ever had problems A frame towing whils tin the Uk, has the a frame got to be a braked version als has anyone a frame towed around Europe and not had a problem?

If this is ok to a frame it will save me having to buy a trailor with all the inconvinience that can go with one.

thanks,

Nick.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
braked a frame legal. yes have towed around europe (unbraked).look on dft sits for info, or google caratow they put something on website. lots on here styill do .wait for it i feel a wave of replies building up .cheers alan.

E

Eddie Edwards

Deleted User
A-Frames

I was about to get a Chris Cox A-frame but spotted that somebody was not too pleased with theirs. Is it worth the extra £300 for the alternatives or is somebody out there pleased with Chris Cox?:Confused:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
At that weight don't buy cheap get a Blue Ox best on the market and will tow that weight forever. I've towed our jeep in the states 30'000 miles so far and had to tighten 1 screw half a turn fantastic kit the yanks know how to make A frames.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
a Blue Ox - fantastic kit - the yanks know how to make A frames.

I use a Blue Ox combined with a Brake Buddy to tow my Volvo V70 Estate - absolute doddle, honest - but I also have to give credit to Chris Cox who 'manufactured' the base plate which is fitted to the Volvo to enable me to connect it to the Blus Ox.

I was always a trailer 'advocate' but since my introduction to the Blue Ox, there is no way that I would go back to a trailer - (mind you - there is no way that I can go backwards with the Blue Ox, either :Eeek:)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was about to get a Chris Cox A-frame but spotted that somebody was not too pleased with theirs. Is it worth the extra £300 for the alternatives or is somebody out there pleased with Chris Cox?:Confused:
Hi Eddie
I'm not sure if its my comments you refer to,But it is only my opinion, please don't take out of context what I'm saying and dont let me put you off buying one
the post refers to pulling a heavier than normal vehicle, my only experience of the cox version is visual, and it dosent look up to pulling that amount of weight
The cox A frame is widely used by a lot of happy people with average type toads, My personal view is that out of the three or 4 referred to its the ugliest, it has the appearance of being home made, and leaves a lot of iron work on view atatched to the car compared to the others that only have a couple of small eyes on show. also the others look like factory made units of a much higher quality but if the price difference is as you say £300 that goes a long way to explain why
Im sure the cox unit is upto the job and maybe he could manufacture a better looking system but not at the same price
Geo

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i too am a blue ox user. mine is the aladdin, which is only rated to 5000 lbs. but, as others have said, these are far superior imho to any brit ones, as they fold onto the rv, and never have to be carried. well worth the investment. but definitely chris cox can fit a baseplate, as his a-frame ends will mate with blue ox no problem.

des

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say google intertrade, i believe they now do a braked version. i have used their old style chains n bumper pads to tow all sorts of cars vans mn trucks. have well n truly gone over their wt limmits with no probs. they have been making a frames for years and are used by rac,aa . i think they make the best a frame in the uk. mine is about 25/30 yr old n still gets used. cheers alan.
ps, i
do only use mine for recovery ,advise a braked one for other people. ha ha.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back