Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Im after some advice on how to replace our twin submersed water pump. We have had a look and it doesn't look too complicated but looks very fiddly so any tips pointers are welcome.
IMG_0602.JPG

I am presuming that I will need to work from inside the water tank and push up the white wire from the Reich twin pump up through the small grey hole from inside out after having unscrewed the top part from the outside first.

Please correct me if this is wrong. Then I will need to fasten the hose inside the tank over the top part of the (water pump inside tank), I can see where this should go as the top part of the pump has snapped off leaving part connected to a hose with a screw bolt hose style fastener.

Once all is replaced I then hope to connect via the block connector and tape up as it was before I removed the tape in the image above.

Or should we pay someone? Hope it's not too fiddly.

I will await some advice, thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Remove big yellow cap, fish out pump, remove from pipe & replace with new pump. Cut the wire off the old pump, strip it & attach it to the wire on the new pump, remove the upper nut from the grey gland where the wire appears from the tank & use the old wire to pull the new stuff up through the gland. leave just enough in the tank so that it isn't lifting the pump. Replace gland nut, remove old wire, connect new in its place.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for replies

Can i ask what is the difference between the non return value one and the one without?

The one we have has the non return value which is where it has snapped off. We only had this fitted last year and has snapped off already!!

It also doesn't seem quite as good as the one we had previous which seemed a different make. We had it fitted in France and don't have the old one to see what that was like. Does the non return value need reinforcing like in one of the links???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Non-Return valve prevents the water from the pipes and the Truma hot water boiler draining back into the cold tank ..

Don't understand how it snapped off.. unless it was damaged before or during fitting.. there is no strain or stress on it once fitted.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
The old pump was partially lying on its side should it be sat upright ie sat on its bottom so to speak!

We also don't have the nylon nut as shown in Marcle leisure link above.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, it should stand upright.. perhaps the plastic discharge pipe is forcing it to lay on it's side causing stress on the NRV.. if that is the case you may need to shorten the pipe.

The pump I bought from Marcle Leisure came with the white nut... I know the info says it doesn't, but mine did.. Steve (Marcle Leisure ) is a helpful guy, known him for years and if you call he will certainly offer advice..

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A split at the non-return valve sounds like frost damage to me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are havingg problems with it being a tight fit you could fit a pump without a non-return valve then fit an inline non-return valve externally

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Now you are getting far too complicated for me (n)!! Its pushing us to our DIY limits as it is replacing like for like!!

I've ordered another one exactly the same with non return valve so I hope this one lasts longer than the last! I will also make sure its propped up rather than laid partially on its side.

Stay well away from us when we try to fit it inside the tank! I feel a domestic coming on!!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Well we have only gone and managed to change the pump!!!

We went for the same one that had broke with the non return valve on top. However, when fitting it I discovered what looks like an inline non return valve. So we now have two, it's also laid on its side so again I don't expect it to last long but will get the shorter one without valve as a backup for when this one breaks again!

Please let me know if the item in the pic isn't a non return valve!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 43

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I fit a new twin Reich waterpump yesterday and compared to your pic ours has a rigid plastic pipe running from the top of the tank to the pump (just push fit on to the pump) where as yours is what looks like a hose type of pipe which is more flexible (maybe why it keeps lying down - which cant be good as i think they are meant to be upright)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes, that is also a non return valve.. (the arrow points in the direction of flow).
If it were mine, I'd remove it and shorten the flexible pipe so that the pump stands vertically on the bottom of the tank..

or.. if you prefer, keep the NRV but shorten the pipe..

I have just changed my pump.. it was getting noisy and we had noticed a reduced flow..

this is the old pump.. the short pipe tail had gone hard so that was replaced, and the cable was also brittle .... probably the original Hymer pump.. 15 years old.. !

IMG_0181.jpg

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Although the pipe is hose pipe it is still too tight to push pump upright so I have left it on its side. I do expect it to fail again due to the stress on the angle!

I am reluctant to cut the pipe yet as we obviously now don't need the non return valve pump, due to the inline one (or what looks like one lol) so I will change this in the future and have a spare on board! Although if I remember correctly the one I presume was fitted by Carado before the last one broke was possibly on its side too! It's not easy to get at the pipe to alter either. And I will be replacing the rusty part that fastens the pump on!

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We must of posted at the same time @scotjimland

You pipe looks easier to access we were working blind under the tank, with an arm through each inspection hole!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We must of posted at the same time @scotjimland

You pipe looks easier to access we were working blind under the tank, with an arm through each inspection hole!!!

yes.. mine is a doddle to work on..

could you not remove the pump, measure the tank depth, cut the pipe to the correct length.. then replace ..

The short piece of pipe between the NRV and the Red gland looks about the correct length ... just need a new hose clamp..

I appreciate it's easier said than done.. but would be worth the effort..

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Yes its worth thinking about but I think if we have the right pump the one without the valve then we won't get the issue of it breaking either. We had a brief look yesterday at removing the pipe but everything was on too tight and the only or easiest option was to work blind from inside the tank.

I'm sure someone must know of an easier way but we were tired after work and I was just so chuffed we managed it that it will do for now lol!!!! Just a shame the mechanic in France last year didn't pay more attention to what he was doing but as it broke on day 1 of our holiday and journey South we were just please to get someone to do something (but paid a fortune for the privilege!!!).

Bring on the weekend!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back