Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am waiting for the delivery of a Snipe 2. I am wondering how many cables have to be feed through the roof of MH. Also are they (Snipe)fairly easy to fit? I am thinking of taking the old TV aerial off and passing cables thought that hole, is that a good idea?

Thanks for any help.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There are 2 cables (Tuner & controller) with "f" connectors fitted to the ends. Doing what you suggest sounds like a good plan, should be able to mount the mounting plate with Sikaflex.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
There are 2 cables (Tuner & controller) with "f" connectors fitted to the ends. Doing what you suggest sounds like a good plan, should be able to mount the mounting plate with Sikaflex.

Thank for that information, just what I needed.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I have today received my Snipe 2 and notice that in the fitting instructions they suggest fixing it in the middle of the MH. I was thinking of fixing it nearer the edge.

Have any of you guys fitted one and if so, could you tell me your thoughts please, as once fixed, it would be a bugger to relocate.

Thank you for your help.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
2015-08-26 19.50.49.jpg
We have the original Snipe, ours is not centrally mounted on the van (pictured when not having parked correctly, been ok since).

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have the Pro-Max version and its not fitted in the middle., its not caused any issues yet.

2015-10-10 17.43.59.jpg 20151011_153030.jpg

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I fitted the snipe2 last week , very easy to fit and works a treat

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 97

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have today received my Snipe 2 and notice that in the fitting instructions they suggest fixing it in the middle of the MH.

This is good practice with any dish.. the reason being, if the van moves when you walk about, or by gusts of wind .. the up and down distance is greatest at the edge of the van.. in the centre it is zero..

In saying that, I mounted my Alden sat dish off centre as I had no other choice..

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I fitted the snipe2 last week , very easy to fit and works a treat
You seem to have generated an inordinate amount of waste fitting the snipe, judging by the Skip:doh:
Geo

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Another question guys: The Snipe is pre set to receive up to about 9 satellites, I thought you had to have a different receiver for each satellite. Is it possible to have just one receiver and it will feed all of the satellites through it? I have an Icecrypt 1600 so that I can pick up British TV down in Spain, would that pick up the other sats? if not what receiver do you use?

And a big thank you for your replies so far :)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another question guys: The Snipe is pre set to receive up to about 9 satellites, I thought you had to have a different receiver for each satellite. Is it possible to have just one receiver and it will feed all of the satellites through it? I have an Icecrypt 1600 so that I can pick up British TV down in Spain, would that pick up the other sats? if not what receiver do you use?

And a big thank you for your replies so far :)
I use an Avtex TV with inbuilt free to air Satellite receiver. It lacks the niceties of a dedicated satellite receiver in terms of EPG etc but works well enough for us. Only used it in anger on Astra 2, think you can change the satellite in TV settings if required to match that the Avtex controller is pointing at?

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I am now ready to stick the Snipe plate to the roof. I have Sixaflex 221 or CT 1 my question is which one is best. I am thinking that I would not screw to the roof just use one of the above. All help welcome, thank you.

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Is sikaflex really strong enough ? I mean permanant and strong ?

I would love to add a Snipe 2 to our van. !!

Not sure I'm up to installing it though....

@Charlie well I am hoping somebody will tell me that either sikaflex 221 or CT1 is strong enough as like you, I am not sure. I might well bit the bullet and screw it down as well. :)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I would put at least a couple of stainless self tappers in as well. Sikaflex is easily capable of holding the Snipe in place as long as the surfaces are properly prepared but bear in mind you will be gluing to paint and you don't know how well the paint finish was applied (White Fiat vans have a history of the paint falling off for example). Just put a gob of Sika in the screw holes before you fit the screws.

D.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Knowing paint as I do I would not be confident in sikaflex or any kind of adhesive alone. I also worry about if for some reason the thing had to be removed what the result would be ?

There are that many holes in a MH roof would a couple more matter ?

This mounting plate... Does it come with the Snipe or as an extra ?

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Knowing paint as I do I would not be confident in sikaflex or any kind of adhesive alone. I also worry about if for some reason the thing had to be removed what the result would be ?

There are that many holes in a MH roof would a couple more matter ?

This mounting plate... Does it come with the Snipe or as an extra ?

Yes it comes with a very good mounting plate, and has screw holes, so I guess I will put some screws in it. I won't remove it as the Snipe will be sold with the MH as by then I will have had the use of it and of course it will perhaps help sell it.

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I agree with Charlie cannot rely on the paint on a Ducato roof, mine is peeling in some places, I used silkaflex and all the screws, as the unit does sit quite high and would get some leveridge in the wind, when driving 50 to 70 mph, being has you can buy the mounting plates separate, I would leave the plate on, and just in bolt the dish if I sell

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I too am looking into snipe2 installation on my roof. Tried using it the weekend by placing it on the roof through the roof light, got quite wet when I brought it back :) - so definitely want to permanently mount it.

Am thinking of making use of some old solar panel brackets that are already there, with a framework of angled aluminium between them, the snipe roof mount and Silkaflex. Hoping to avoid drilling any extra holes.

See photo for some of the brackets.
image.jpeg

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
The Snipe on its own mount sits pretty high on the roof. I wouldn't want to raise it any more you need to.
To be honest I'd use the Snipe mount straight onto the roof.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Agreed, I initially thought about having the mounting plate a little in the air, but was worried about flexing and pressure on the brackets, as well as the additional height. So yes I am planning for the mounting plate to be glued directly to the roof, as well as being bolted to some aluminium cross pieces.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
All fitted without drilling any extra holes.
Just need to work out where to put the controller inside now.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Have a super snipe fitted to our van, up to now it's been useless from Northern Spain through Portugal now doing the Costas(no not the coffee shops) It's liked to an up to date Avtex. Had one chap in Spain come but didn't know the system now have another chap coming tomorrow so fingers crossed. Reading this tread had given me hope that all will be put right but just in case it isn't can anyone recommend some one in the UK that I can contact when we get home? I know I won't get a lot of Channels but should be able to receive a couple
Thanks for any suggestions (clean ones?)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a super snipe fitted to our van, up to now it's been useless from Northern Spain through Portugal now doing the Costas(no not the coffee shops) It's liked to an up to date Avtex. Had one chap in Spain come but didn't know the system now have another chap coming tomorrow so fingers crossed. Reading this tread had given me hope that all will be put right but just in case it isn't can anyone recommend some one in the UK that I can contact when we get home? I know I won't get a lot of Channels but should be able to receive a couple
Thanks for any suggestions (clean ones?)
You should be able to get the news channels on Astra 1 or Hotbird even with an 85cm dish you won't get the UK channels on Astra 2.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Has anybody managed to get the satellite i907 on Snipe yet?
If it's not one of the pre-installed satellites, presumably you have to use the update software to enter the co-ordinates etc into one of the "User x" settings? Think the Snipe manual details the process?

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
If it's not one of the pre-installed satellites, presumably you have to use the update software to enter the co-ordinates etc into one of the "User x" settings? Think the Snipe manual details the process?

Yes the manual nearly does, one or two of the settings needed, I cannot find. I know most of them, just trying to find the first couple.

Just looking for somebody ( if anybody has) that has done it. Other than that my Snipe 2 is fitted and working well.

Thanks for your reply.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Was recommended a firm called Tambo from Benicarlo he was brilliant discovered it was a mechanical fault, took unit from roof and found three screws had fallen into the base and another two loosened. Then sat and retuned onto Astra 1 now have dozens and dozens of channels around ten English speaking ones. He wouldn't take payment until he popped back early evening to check we were happy. Now that's what I call service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back