Help needed with LPG installation (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Hi all. any Autogas/LPG experts around.

I've removed a Gaslow twin cylinder from my motorhome ready to transfer it to a new one. a Hymer exsisi i. The original installation had the filler in the gas locker but on the new one I want to mount them externally.

The Hymer gas locker is inside the garage, as is the boiler installation on the other side, I wish to mount two new external fillers in the walls of the MH, one directly into the gas locker and one into the boiler area..

I was thinking of gettng two new inlets with 8mm outlets, using FARO type polypipe from , running these two pipes to an 8mm 'T' and then via a 8mm to 3/4 UNF JIC reducer to the original Gaslow inlet pipe.

Does this sound OK? Is 8mm sufficient for filling? As far as I can see the Gaslow hose are 8mm ID in spite of their large OD. I will of course make sure all joints are gas tight and all pipes and junctions securely fixed.

Malcolm

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nothing wrong with DIY (its your van) but with 2 fillers it will never pass a certified gas Test
Terry

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I might have missed it what's your reason for two fillers?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Nothing wrong with DIY (its your van) but with 2 fillers it will never pass a certified gas Test
Terry

how come Terry.. ?

I've seen RVs with twin filler points for the LPG tank...one on either side ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No idea but my mate who does testing refused me one saying I cannot t off and have two filling points
Terry

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I want to be able to fill from either side. According to Gaslow it's very common on installations they do on caravans. I'd be surprised if they fit anything illegal.

Malcolm

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
But does anyone know if my method of doing it is OK assuming two fillers is OK?

Malcolm

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I never asked Howard why? I simply took the rear filler out so eliminating the T -It could well have been the T he did not like ? Last time I spoke with him he was due a refresher type course (every 5 yrs or so I think) and he was still insisting that gas lockers should have metal linings as per 5 yrs ago -When I pointed out that Autotrails etc don't do metal gas lockers and seam to pass gas checks he simply smiled and said not by him they don't and as far as he knew there has been no change in gas practice as yet -Make of that what you want and remember it is your van and you can do what you want to it any way you want so if it is good enough for gaslow it is probably good enough for you :LOL:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I spoke to Darrell about this Terry ( as I mentioned he has his ticket for lpg as well as domestic )
It seems there are THREE sets of rules..
One for LPG domestic
One for LPG vehicles
One for LPG domestic IN vehicles

Maybe your friend is muddling up between them ?

Not one of them has a requirement of being in a metal box though for vehicle LPG there is a requirement of a bulkhead of other metal guard between the cylinder and the occupants
I also mentioned the T to two fillers
Digging through all the rules and regs it is mentioned.. But only to say care should be taken that using one point will not allow gas to escape from the second.
As the fillers have check valves in that is not a problem.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi John I assume he only has LPG vehicles - it will be the metal guard/bulkhead bit that he is translating into metal box? Next time I see him he should have had a update course so he may well have a clearer instruction by then because he will have asked for clarification (y)
thanks terry
PS no need to remind me of your shelve I remembered;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice one !!! Cheers mate

Join us or log in to post a reply.