Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi

We have been looking for a good camp site in or around Saumur and wondered if anyone can recommend one. We have seen one which is around a 15 minute walk from the town and on the river, ( which is perfect) but it seems really expensive for one night. Being new to all this I would appreciate some advice and any suggestions of sites.

Thanks

Jo

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think we tried to get in the same campsite in June last year, but arrived just as the "Full" sign went out. We ended up driving out of there, turning right away from town and over river, then right again alongside the river to find another campsite a couple of miles away. I can't recall the name, but I think it may have been "Domaine de la Brèche" based on Google. It's quite a big holiday site with good facilities, nice restaurant just outside the gates, bar and shops onsite.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The one we have used is the nearest one to the town which is l'I'll de Offard situated on an island in the river directly opposite the town. I thought that this site took the ACSI card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The Flowers camp site in the Ile d'Offard is the old municipal site. It is certainly the easiest for walking into town. We were last there a couple of years ago and the pitches with the best view overlooking the castle were being taken over by small huts/chalets. The site appeared to be quite tired but presumably Flowers are in the process of remedying that. It is always an interesting site as there is a mixture of huts, campers, tuggers and people with tents cycling the Loire. There are numerous Aires in the vicinity and a number of vans appear to park opposite the tank museum.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We stayed on the Ile d'offard site, which is now a "flowers" site a few weeks ago. It has been tidied up nicely recently, as it was a bit scruffy. Toilets revamped and new chalets. There are still pitches with river views but these are at a premium and not included in the ACSI rate. Saumur old town is looking very smart too now.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Couple of shots taken from the site

20160428052339.JPG
IMG_20160427_172715.jpg

OP
OP
Orchid288

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, just to say thanks again, booked our first night at the site you recommended

Jo

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hi, just to say thanks again, booked our first night at the site you recommended

Jo
Make sure to go look in the old quarter, it has just been re-paved in the centre and is lovely. You can walk up to the chateau for a stunning view. There is room to park if you take the camper up and a nice restaurant with a big terrace to take in the view. There are some super buildings in saumur, the original post office is beautiful. Enjoy, if you get enough fuel to get there:(

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We've visited Camping Chantepie a couple of times in our caravanning days Link Removed just outside Saumur atSaint - Hilaire -Saint-Florent, as fantastic views across the Loire Valley, doubt if we could get our RV on there :(

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Take the south west Loire road out of town for about 5 km. there is an excellent
Sparkling wine warehouse. Very tasty cf champers and excellent value. We always stock up when around Saumur.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We've visited Camping Chantepie a couple of times in our caravanning days Link Removed just outside Saumur atSaint - Hilaire -Saint-Florent, as fantastic views across the Loire Valley, doubt if we could get our RV on there :(

This site gets our vote too :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Take the south west Loire road out of town for about 5 km. there is an excellent
Sparkling wine warehouse. Very tasty cf champers and excellent value. We always stock up when around Saumur.

Ackerman caves? Good museum to visit there now.
If you have a full day to spend the tank museum is excellent. Also when the Cadre Noir horse show is on it is truly fantastic. Think it is in June.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Gratien & Meyer is a good sparkling wine cave :)
http://www.gratienmeyer.com
But always found it loads cheaper in the hypermarket in town. Le clerc I think :)

OP
OP
Orchid288

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am so excited about my holiday. We are then thinking of moving down to Sarlat for a few days

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We are then thinking of moving down to Sarlat for a few days

The aire(s) - there are 2 - in Sarlat aren't bad. Try to see the town at night as the French gas company converted the street lights to gas and it gives a peasant glow to the honey stoned buildings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back