Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Morning

We are due to cross to France early hours Friday morning to go to Soulac - west coast.

It's 500 miles from Calais which our car will do fairly easy (mh conversion not ready yet)

Last night we thought straight away we can't go due to the fuel shortage but I'm wondering whether it will be over in a few days and it will be back to normal.

Should we risk it, wait it out or just try and cancel/amend now? I've got travel insurance but not sure whether this would be covered, although I have got a medical condition which safe to say it would be no good if I were to be stranded on a motorway.

I feel right fed up, kids are none the wiser at this moment and I just don't know we what to do for the best!!!

Any help/advice appreciated x

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
How long are you planning to be away for ? If just for a long weekend then I would be worried about travelling, longer than that it could all be resolved by the time you need to refuel.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
A tad difficult obtaining fuel in France at the moment may be a slight concern:)
I thought it was only in the north? Most previous posts seem to say there isn't that much of a problem. If you set of with a full tank you will be near the south.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We are near to St. Nazaire at the moment, the current shortages seem to have started in this area last week and have been spreading through France since. There seem to be areas that are unaffected and some fuel supplies are now available in our area where there were none, I managed to get 20L yesterday. The French Government keep saying reserve supplies are available but getting those reserves to the public in the event of major disruption may be a low priority.
Nobody knows how this dispute will develop and only you can make the risk judgement on whether to travel or not.
Sorry if this sounds unhelpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are you staying with friends or renting somewhere, either road can you not contact someone there to see what is happening around where you are going, if you have enough to get you there, and you can find out if there is somewhere to fill up there, don't see a problem,

Deleted User
I thought it was only in the north? Most previous posts seem to say there isn't that much of a problem. If you set of with a full tank you will be near the south.

The effects are spreading and a major refinery in the South of France is now blockaded but the situation is constantly changing, would you risk being stranded in the South of France with children?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The effects are spreading and a major refinery in the South of France is now blockaded but the situation is constantly changing, would you risk being stranded in the South of France with children?

In a motorhome, I'd say go for it. Being stranded for a few days is an adventure in itself :) But in a car with kids, I think I'd give it a miss.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
We are in France at the moment. Coming back on Sunday morning.
Up to now we have had no problems with fuel.
We are at parcverger for a few nights

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You mention travelling by car, where in France are you aiming for? Do you have accommodation booked? What sort of holiday are you planning?

From reading Jims link it suggests leaving the uk with a full tank, thus giving you 300 miles to get to....?

If you can get to your destination without having to fill up and it's a stay put holiday I'd be likely to go. As long as you think you can refuel for the return.

Don't know the ages of the kids but what an adventure for them.

Edit, sorry just read its 500 miles so you'd need a refuel, check out the map on jims link to see if that takes you out of the most problematic area.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
On the motorways you can get 20 ltrs at most services but expect a queue of 3 to 6 vehicles at each pump. Yesterday morning local supermarket fuel was closed, delivery yesterday lunchtime and fuel on 30 ltrs. Shortages seem fairly widespread down to Poitiers.

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
It wouldn't be a problem if were in the mhome, it definitely would be an adventure!

Our car does around 600 to a full tank so it should get us there. But once there I didn't want to be stuck on site and don't want to have a problem getting home!

Husband's put his foot down now and said no way are we risking it.

He is going to try and find something here for less than £1,000 I think I'd rather stay at home to be honest.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Brodie,
What a shame not to go, the only reason for not going must be the medical condition and if that is likely to cause a problem for you then I would not go, otherwise I would certainly go, over the last 40 years we have travelled to or across France each year and come what may, strikes etc have never been a real problem.
I am sure others have travelled as much as us or more, I mentioned our travels not to be clever but to inform you.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Just a thought....
When the Spaniards make life awkward with A frame rules, Brit tourists being regarded as money boxes by the police and traders, the cry is usually "let them go hang", "vote with your feet and go elsewhere", etc.
The French are very good at making life awkward with strikes and blockades.
I haven't yet seen any post advising "go elsewhere".
One family with 3 kids being advised to go even though there is the possibility of getting stranded.
Strange, that?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There doesn't appear to be any end in sight for this dispute, so likely to continue for quite a while.
I have just read that there are now lorries blocking the truck toll gates on some motorways to prevent fuel being moved.
If it were me, with a young family, I'd be looking to go elsewhere.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No ,there have been some on the fuel thread that have stated that they will never again spend a penny their.

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Update

Travel insurance say we are not covered, they don't cover loss by protesting.

I could get a drs note for my medical condition and they will assess it but can't guarantee as we are choosing not to travel not being prevented from travelling.

Siblu the campsite we are using can transfer the park and dates to the more expensive time of 6 week holidays. Won't hold it for next year or help us out in anyway financially. It's not their fault or their problem!! I've today to decide what to do.

I know one thing though I am going to be very reluctant to spend any more Euros in France than I have to.

Get me that motorhome.....

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
It is just hit and miss, get away from the coast and look to fill up where you can. There is talk of a general strike tomorrow, lady in supermarket was giving us the news. Certainly this site has emptied today, we are just sitting in the sun watching the Indre flow by.....

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Why not take 3 10ltr plastic cans of fuel with you. Should help a bit. When in france spain or Germany we always a couple of cans full just in case. You can get fuel in Belgium if you are nearby

OP
OP
brodie

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
It's not just getting there, it's getting back too!

Anyway, Siblu have agreed to let us change our holiday.

So I thought we had a little Chinese of light, oh no, it gets worse.....

Decided on the site in Normandy, first week of 6 week holidays.

Holiday advertised online at £514 we have already paid £432.10 not too bad we will just have to pay the difference of £81.90

Then it goes downhill, that price of £514 is a discounted price for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. As we are changing the booking we will have to pay the full price of £735 less the £432.10. No leeway whatsoever, no compassion, no flexibility.

So choices are loose £432.10 by not turning up or pay £302.90 extra to change the holiday.

I am so upset, couldn't even speak to them on the phone my husband had to take over. As a family who go to France 2/3 times a year they have done themselves no favours with us. I know we are only one family but we will definitely be making our point by not visiting anymore.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
It's not just getting there, it's getting back too!

Anyway, Siblu have agreed to let us change our holiday.

So I thought we had a little Chinese of light, oh no, it gets worse.....

Decided on the site in Normandy, first week of 6 week holidays.

Holiday advertised online at £514 we have already paid £432.10 not too bad we will just have to pay the difference of £81.90

Then it goes downhill, that price of £514 is a discounted price for NEW BOOKINGS ONLY. As we are changing the booking we will have to pay the full price of £735 less the £432.10. No leeway whatsoever, no compassion, no flexibility.

So choices are loose £432.10 by not turning up or pay £302.90 extra to change the holiday.

I am so upset, couldn't even speak to them on the phone my husband had to take over. As a family who go to France 2/3 times a year they have done themselves no favours with us. I know we are only one family but we will definitely be making our point by not visiting anymore.

I would get back to Siblu and ask to speak to someone up the line, we are due to travel on June 2nd touring France of 4 weeks staying at a couple of Al Fresco sites.

With the current fuel and threatened general strikes causing future uncertainty we sat down this morning and totally changed our plans, a short phone conversation with Al Fresco and the they changing all our French bookings to their Italian sites with NO extra costs at all.

We are still planning on driving down to Troyes and then onto Annecy but will then head towards the Mont Blanc tunnel over to Lake Garda, we aren`t too far from nipping into Switzerland (Geneva) if we need to fill up with fuel.

Personally we think it would be madness to ignore the extent these strikes will accelerate to, power stations and air traffic control have now joined the strike action, then you will also have the worry of having your fuel stolen by some needy frenchie.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@brodie I agree with @robnchris get back onto them. If you still dont get any joy ask why they are discriminating against an existing customer. Failing that twitter is your friend. (y)

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Just watched the news on 5 and it appears to be getting worse. The one thing French are great at is protesting and standing their ground. I wouldn't want to be searching for petrol or stuck in long queues if I had a choice or alternative available.

Camping Parc Verger

Free Member
Jul 3, 2015
New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
over 25 years
Hi to you all. We are located in the limousin valley and we do not have any problems regarding fuel. The supermarkets around are selling fuel with no restrictions. The main reason is that all the fuel that we get in this area comes from La Rochelle and Bordeaux. not from the North.

We have guests on site who have bought fuel over the last few days again without any restrictions or queues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back