TV Point on Serviced Pitch (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I am booking a site in June, and have the option of a pitch with TV Point, Fresh Water and Grey Waste disposal. I have never used such a pitch and have a few questions.

I know my MH does not have an external TV Point, so ….

1. How do I bring the external TV lead into the van? Do people have MHs with external sockets already fitted?
2. What is the most common plug/socket for the “post” end? I am pretty sure my TV just has an older type Coaxial socket.
3. What typical length of aerial lead would I need?

Grey Waste …

The outlet is a rigid plastic pipe, approx. 50 mm diameter, from memory, controlled by a ball valve.

1. What is the most common way of connecting this to the drain? I have seen Caravans on sites, with rigid pipe extensions, but would like something more portable.
2. Again, any “standard length” for this pipe?

Fresh Water …

1. I normally use a “food grade” hose with standard hose connector, but do many people use something similar to this, to connect to the MH?

heoswater__08519__11770.1347787049.1280.1280.jpg

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Re : the T.V. aerial point

Yes, many MH's have an external aerial socket, if you haven't got that then running the cable through an adjacent window to the T.V. is one way.

All the pitches with this facility we have used thus far have normal coax connections.

10 metres of coax should suffice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
TV point .. normal coaxial socket on post .. 10mts of coax should be plenty

Grey waste.. I use a flexible pipe that pushes over the grey waste pipe on the van.. measure yours and buy from a pond shop..
I carry two lengths that can be joined giving me a total length of 6 mts.

Fresh water .. you can use whatever you like... fill up as normal with your hose.. .. I don't have the connector you show.. I just stuff the hose end into the filler point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Jim & Mark,

Thanks for your replies. I will get myself lengths of co-ax cable and flexible pipe.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We pitched up to a site in Barmouth that had no TVs reception at all. The site had wired every pitch up with tv and loaned us a length of coax for £2.00 deposit. I have seen units with ridgid drain pipes but they belonged to the site and were left behind when pitches were vacated.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Thanks Paul. Useful to know, but I think I will get a length of Co-ax cable, just to be self-sufficient.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Jim & Mark,

Thanks for your replies. I will get myself lengths of co-ax cable and flexible pipe.
Make sure you get a good quality double screened co-ax lead or make one from satellite cable no quicker way of losing a signal than with cheap cable.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Not sure how relevant this is but last weekend the guy on the next pitch was using the TV point with a co-ax extension lead. To go through the window he had what appeared to be a flexible printed circuit board with co-ax connectors at each end. I hadn't come across this before but a quick Google gives quite a few results - and cheap!!

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Chas17.
What exactly did you google?...or what are these " flexible printed circuit board with co-ax connectors at each end" called in the results?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The TV connection question has been answered above, as has the waste water query. Regarding the fresh water connector you have shown these are great if you are a solo traveller as they ensure the hose is locked in place and won't come out of the filler tube if you aren't holding it (all depends on water pressure). I have one and wouldn't be without it when using a hose.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Chas17.
What exactly did you google?...or what are these " flexible printed circuit board with co-ax connectors at each end" called in the results?

$_1.JPG

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Caravan...oax-Cables-Motorhome-/370524271837?nav=SEARCH

You will need to fit one of the supplied connectors to the coax and make another short lead, with the other supplied plug, to link to the tv.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
The site we stayed on a couple of weeks ago in the western isles used a satellite cable type connector for the TV point even though it was a terrestrial type aerial. I had a satellite cable with us and I managed to bodge up a connection between the sat cable and a normal co-ax connection using PVC tape to get it working. Next time I will make sure we have some adapters with us. Something like this.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Take a couple of coaxial gender changers and an f-type to coaxial connectors. If you don't you will need the one you don't have. I got all the connectors from Maplins.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Take a couple of coaxial gender changers and an f-type to coaxial connectors. If you don't you will need the one you don't have. I got all the connectors from Maplin's.

This imho is the most straightforward answer to the tv issue, its so frustrating to arrive on site & start setting up the tv only to find that your short of a female or male connector (how do we know this:cry:) so a little pack of adaptors is a godsend & Maplin's might not be the cheapest but its all displayed perfectly in front of you, that cant be a bad thing?

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Regarding the TV cable, check in the back of your EHU outlet flap. Our TV cabinet has a TV aerial cable coming out of it and I never knew where it went to I never investigated this any further as we have a satellite dish which we use for the TV. Anyway a few months ago I was pulling out the MH EHU socket and noticed behind it, tucked into the rear of the small opening was the other end of the co-axial aerial cable!

So that's where it went! Anyway it does make sense to put it there alongside the EHU.

I've just nipped out and taken a couple of photographs which will explain it better. (y)

Anyway it's worth a look.

KH

PS. Note to self - clean out the EHU flap thingy...
P1040295.jpg
P1040296.jpg
P1040297.jpg

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Thanks @Photo4x4. I went straight out and looked at mine, but no TV point! I see your EHU Flap is oblong to accommodate the Aerial. Unfortunately, mine is square, so no room for me to fit one retrospectively. I have had some really helpful posts on this thread, so have lots of information about what I need. Thanks to all who posted.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
It was worth a look anyway. BTW I've cleaned out the EHU flap thingy now so it made me do that anyway! :oops:

KH

May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
We have come across a few sites with male F type connections on serviced pitches . so as previously stated it is definitely worth taking an F to coax converter

Patrick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back