Vodafone anyone ? (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I notice Vodafone are doing an all inclusive roaming deal. For £22 a month ( £19.80 if you buy on web) they do a deal for 4 gb uk with unlimited calls and texts and include 2 gb European roaming data and calls . I am thinking this would be a good deal for me and was wondering in anyone has had experience of Vodafone.

I am with o2 at the moment and the £1.99 a day for calls texts and data, which is limited to about 100 mb a day is fine but as I am in Eu four months of the year Vodafone would save me around £180 a year.

Any comments?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Vodafone used to be a very good company. I was with them for years. Then the people that built Vodafone retired or left one by one. After Chris Gent went around 12 years or so ago the company changed for the worse. Wouldn't touch them now.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Vodafone used to be a very good company. I was with them for years. Then the people that built Vodafone retired or left one by one. After Chris Gent went around 12 years or so ago the company changed for the worse. Wouldn't touch them now.

Is that. Because of poor network, or poor admin. I know they don't have a great reputation for customer service but I have to say the person I chatted to online today couldn't have been more helpful. Why wouldn't you touch them now , if you don't mind me asking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
My firm are with Vodafone, probably about 100 handsets and tablets but we won't be after July.

Absolutely pathetic company.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is that. Because of poor network, or poor admin. I know they don't have a great reputation for customer service but I have to say the person I chatted to online today couldn't have been more helpful. Why wouldn't you touch them now , if you don't mind me asking.
Poor network, poor admin, poor service.
I moved to Three something like 7 years ago and apart from a couple of glitches when I went in contract (rather than PAYG as I am on again now) the network, admin and service have all been much better.
I did try getting a Vodafone SIM as an alternative a couple of years ago (just in case of a problem with Three coverage at any time) but they were just as bad so I binned it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's funny. We're with Vodafone and have no problems at all. The network, the admin and the service have always been impeccable.

I was with Three previously and my experience with them was very different. I have never come across a more horrible, malignant evil company. Their network barely functions, their shop staff are incompetent, their so called "customer services" were never anything other than deliberately, maliciously unhelpful to me.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks everyone. Seems to me reading the reviews all the big four have some very unhappy customers and it's usually those who will bother with writing a review of thier experience. No doubt some will have bad stories and others nothing but prais. It's a lottery but the Codafone inclusive deal beats anything out there at the moment and I can cancel in the first month no quietestioms asked so I am going to give them a try. I will report back.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I've been with Vodafone for in excess of 10 years now. I get great coverage, fab customer service, really have no complaints at all.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Another positive vote for Vodafone - I currently use their Euro Traveller service when abroad. However at £3/day it soon mounts up so we just have the occasional 'data day' when we switch on the mobile data on the handset and then get our money's worth! By the way, the £3 charge allows you to use your UK phone/txt/data allowances while away so, in general, there's nothing else to pay.
I've been with them for about 15 years now and each year when I want to renew I tell them that I don't want to pay their standard rates and I get offered a deal so good that I cannot refuse!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Vodafone used to be a very good company. I was with them for years. Then the people that built Vodafone retired or left one by one. After Chris Gent went around 12 years or so ago the company changed for the worse. Wouldn't touch them now.[/QUOT

did you know a guy called Chris Allen?,hes one of their senior FD,s

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
did you know a guy called Chris Allen?,hes one of their senior FD,s
No, I never worked for them (just a customer) - but David Larsen who was MD of Racal South Africa and one of the developers of cell phone technology was a distant cousin of mine and we were in touch until he died. I actually only stayed with Vodafone as a customer for so long because of David's connection.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Used to be with Vodaphone but their coverage round here is a bit patchy. Almost no signal at all along the coast between here and Seaford.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well, I did it, got the 4GB uk data with 2GB roaming for £18.20 a month, it's on a month trial at the moment and if don't like it I can pull out with no charge.

The setup was easy on the web and my number was ported smoothly. I had one issue which was my fault as I mistakenly set up two accounts. All corrected with the live chat person and quite painless. Signal has been as good or better than o2 in north east Suffolk and 4g is very fast so at the moment all good.

I know they have crap revues, but so do the the other networks, so I will stick with it I think. For the money, the 2GB roaming seems fine (I need Germany and three don't do it there) and there is an option to buy an extra data pack 1GB for £15 should I need it.

I am not recommending, just reporting my experience.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I also wouldn't touch Vodafone any more. They had me almost in tears once because there is no accountability or follow through.
They accidentally put £50 in error on my bill and every time I'd ring up (after being on hold for an hour,) they'd agree it was in error and not to pay it. Then it would always be back on the bill the following month.
You couldn't ignore it as they would cut you off if you didn't pay . I got literally nowhere with this problem so the minute my contract was up I ended it
. Life's too short.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I also wouldn't touch Vodafone any more. They had me almost in tears once because there is no accountability or follow through.
They accidentally put £50 in error on my bill and every time I'd ring up (after being on hold for an hour,) they'd agree it was in error and not to pay it. Then it would always be back on the bill the following month.
You couldn't ignore it as they would cut you off if you didn't pay . I got literally nowhere with this problem so the minute my contract was up I ended it
. Life's too short.
Yes that's the next step I haven't had a bill yet. We shall see. Well, yes I have had a bill but they haven't taken the direct debit it'll be interesting to see if they get that right

Last edited:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Well, I did it, got the 4GB uk data with 2GB roaming for £18.20 a month, it's on a month trial at the moment and if don't like it I can pull out with no charge..
Don't leave it at that get back on to them, I was on live chat for about 1 hour while in Spain and got unlimited UK CALLS TXT and 20gb data, unlimited Europe calls/txt and 4GB Europe roaming data, £22pm with 2 months free works out at £18.25pm on a 12 month contract, just a indication of what's out there, hope this helps
Dave

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Don't leave it at that get back on to them, I was on live chat for about 1 hour while in Spain and got unlimited UK CALLS TXT and 20gb data, unlimited Europe calls/txt and 4GB Europe roaming data, £22pm with 2 months free works out at £18.25pm on a 12 month contract, just a indication of what's out there, hope this helps
Dave

How recent was that @Busman - was that all agreed over live chat as an upgrade to existing services?

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
@Diesel yes it was done over live chat about 2 weeks ago. I was out of contract on a 12 month sim only deal. It was a £37pm bundle with 40% discount = £22 pm but I kept saying that's still £5pm more than 3 and it was the calls while abroad and data that I needed so that's why I also got the first 2 months free (£18.25pm) which is great for me as their calls abroaddata bundle is all over. I don't do many calls or txt it was the data side that I was after as will be living in the van a lot shortly.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
@Diesel yes it was done over live chat about 2 weeks ago. I was out of contract on a 12 month sim only deal. It was a £37pm bundle with 40% discount = £22 pm but I kept saying that's still £5pm more than 3 and it was the calls while abroad and data that I needed so that's why I also got the first 2 months free (£18.25pm) which is great for me as their calls abroaddata bundle is all over. I don't do many calls or txt it was the data side that I was after as will be living in the van a lot shortly.
How did you find the data roaming and calls when you were with them, presumably ok since you have negotiated to stay with a new deal?

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
The last contract I had that £3 a day use your uk minutes data abroad which is a rip off if you just want to send a couple of texts or a couple of phone calls but I did use it every so often (just turned data roaming back on )and had no problem in Spain and Portugal like wise since having this new data had no problem using or using the hotspot for the iPad.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes that's the next step I haven't had a bill yet. We shall see. Well, yes I have had a bill but they haven't taken the direct debit it'll be interesting to see if they get that right

To quote myself, The first payment has been taken by DD, correct amount and no problems. Just reporting for info.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I use " live chat" with Vodafone whenever I contact them ( not often as have very few problems in 10 years) live chat gets answered quickly and at the end you can keep a record of the call so everybody knows what was discussed without ambiguity - very handy.
Vodafone in Europe does tend to have good coverage. On the 3 contract Germany is not included on its European stay at home, so worth considering. 3 does not allow you to tether to another device either, whereas Vodafone does. Both points may not be relevant to your needs but worth considering.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
My firm is with Vodafone and without exception we all complain about network quality. Sounds like you have no signal even if it shows full.

For personal use I also think their data bundles are very expensive.

OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I use " live chat" with Vodafone whenever I contact them ( not often as have very few problems in 10 years) live chat gets answered quickly and at the end you can keep a record of the call so everybody knows what was discussed without ambiguity - very handy.
Vodafone in Europe does tend to have good coverage. On the 3 contract Germany is not included on its European stay at home, so worth considering. 3 does not allow you to tether to another device either, whereas Vodafone does. Both points may not be relevant to your needs but worth considering.
Both points are certainly relevant to me, that's why I have joined them. Also I have used live chat four or five times to go over my contract and ask some questions, each time answered quickly and to my satisfaction so far, so good.

I notice the £18.70 red deal I got is going to end on 4 July, I wonder if this is due to Brexit and what they will replace it with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iandsm
Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just an update if anyone is interested.

I took the Vodafone sim only deal and everything has been fine. However I see they are now offering the same deal but with 12GB UK data, unlimited calls and texts and 4GB roaming data with unlimited calls and texts and MMS for a discounted rate of £19.20 as opposed to £32.00 the original price. Its a twelve month deal and includes Sky sports mobile or Spotify. I asked to upgrade today and they argeed even though I have only had my present plan for two months, so I am happy.

So its a decent deal that may suit some.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I notice the £18.70 red deal I got is going to end on 4 July, I wonder if this is due to Brexit and what they will replace it with.

It won't be due to anything. They always change the "special deals" every 3 or 4 months.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
EE are offering 16GB + Unlimited calls and texts £19.99 at the moment

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun