Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I have already spent a bit of time strengthening the bed/settee frames in our U shaped lounge (see this thread), so now I thought that I'd have a go at the end of the slatted part of the double bed that pulls out to form the double bed. This had already cracked slightly so first of all I added a couple of extra screws but I needed something to help take the weight in the middle.

After much thought I have adapted a piece of left over drain pipe! It is light and easy to pack away.

The pictures will explain all (I hope). I have little DIY talent but this was certainly an easy job that took about 10 minutes.

KH

Attachments

• P1040288.jpg
    P1040288.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 186
  • P1040290.jpg
    P1040290.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 182
  • P1040292.jpg
    P1040292.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 182
  • P1040294.jpg
    P1040294.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 179
  • P1040293.jpg
    P1040293.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 179
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Good idea !!
We have the same pull out bed, and have already broken one of the wooden cross slats. Can't find anyone who can supply a replacement slat :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Good idea !!
We have the same pull out bed, and have already broken one of the wooden cross slats. Can't find anyone who can supply a replacement slat :(
A length of beechwood cut to length and sanded.
From memory they are simply stapled to the straps underneath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Thanks PJ
I wasn't sure what type of wood it was.
When it happened, I contacted the usual DIY places, but none were interested. Neither were a few eBay sellers who claimed to be able to supply any size / quantity.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Don't use as a trampoline is my advice
I'll get my coat then........

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you just know it was an energetic night of passion when you have to repair the bed in the morning

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you need replacement slats.. it might be worth a trip to Ikea .. in their return/used section they almost always have slats for their beds.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks PJ
When it happened, I contacted the usual DIY places, but none were interested. Neither were a few eBay sellers who claimed to be able to supply any size / quantity.
theres at least half a dozen sellers on ebay with beechwood bed slats. just need cutting to size and sanding, then stapling to the web

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I didn't mention it in the Bailey problem thread but now you mention it the slats on the double bed are always coming loose. They slip into plastic retainers which then push into slots in the frame but the slats are slightly too short, or the retainers too deep, and can slide too far in leaving the other end to fall out. I thought one solution may be to run a bead of mastic or silicone into each retainer to stop them moving. Can't think what the dealer would do if I asked them to sort it whilst it's still under warrant.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
you just know it was an energetic night of passion when you have to repair the bed in the morning

I don't have any problem with breaking beds in my van.

My 11 year old daughter sees to that:whistle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

You will have to get a book on that no touching sex, tantric I think it's called, or strong sleeping pills for your daughter. :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

time the daughter learnt about the freedom of a pup tent

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks PJ
if you are going to Thetford I have some slats -can bring some ;)
terry

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
I didn't mention it in the Bailey problem thread but now you mention it the slats on the double bed are always coming loose. They slip into plastic retainers which then push into slots in the frame but the slats are slightly too short, or the retainers too deep, and can slide too far in leaving the other end to fall out. I thought one solution may be to run a bead of mastic or silicone into each retainer to stop them moving. Can't think what the dealer would do if I asked them to sort it whilst it's still under warrant.
Had that problem on the Elddis. Bought some longer struts off e-bay - had to cut a little of the end but made sure they were about half an inch longer than the originals. Solved the problem.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i had the same issue on a previous van. temporary fix i used was to pull the sides together with a couple of ratchet straps

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
i had the same issue on a previous van. temporary fix i used was to pull the sides together with a couple of ratchet straps

Except that the end caps, similar to these, push into a metal frame and that would take would take some pulling. :)

53mm_x_8mm_metal_single_2.jpg

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
I could never understand why the middle slats are not stronger as that is where you kneel to climb into bed .My solution was to cut a sheet of plywood to sit on top of the slats just inside the groove .I then used one of those big hole drills to make breather holes and lighten it a bit and then cut the plywood into 4 panels. On my U lounge I have a cushion not drawers at the end and just stack the panels under the cushion.The breather holes allow you to get fingers in to pull them over into place. As I've cut two large sheets of ply under the main cushions it all levels out. The thickness of the ply depends on your weight/needs etc. This set up still allows us to pull out the slats and the number of breather holes helps keep weight down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back