Just when you think every thing is sorted (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Hi everyone,just when you think ever thing is sorted and the pre trip nerves are starting to calm down but only a bit another wave of panic washes over me . We go to France on the 5 th June and now I believe there is a fuel shortage what advice can our seasoned travels give ,should I take a few jerry cans of fuel or is being blown out of proportion or should I cancel France and go somewhere else . What do you all think ?

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We have had many fuel shortages here in the UK when were you last left stranded
Some scaremongering is taking place the only spare fuel I think you will need is 1 gallon
to get you to the next campsite or Aire where you can sit it out if it is at all real

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We are off to Brittany for a couple of weeks from the 2nd June, our first trip abroad.. To be honest, I couldn't care less about fuel shortages... I'm sure there will be enough for people. A 20 litre Jerry can won't get you very far anyway, will it... (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We leave June 2nd also, 6am shuttle, can`t see Chris sacrificing precious shoe and handbag space for extra fuel cans!!!!!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would not worry go with a full tank, top it up as you can if it makes you feel better, until you get the feel of the situation. Most of all don't worry that is not what it's all about.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We leave June 2nd also, 6am shuttle, can`t see Chris sacrificing precious shoe and handbag space for extra fuel cans!!!!!

Well well well.. We are also on the same 6am Shuttle....:D
If you see the Apache AutoTrial owners looking worried about entering the train, that'll be us :whistle:

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Howard H - a few years ago we got caught up in a fuel shortage for a few days. We stuck it out at an aire until deliveries restarted. The only advice I can offer is to make sure you have access to the internet while you're away. That way you can find out what is going on. We were fortunate that the local shop owner wanted to practice his English so kept us informed!
P.S. The French for strike is "la grève" - just in case you need it!
P.P.S. we didn't let the problem spoil our holiday - just get over there and have fun!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Arrived a Port Grimaud from Genoa yesterday. Filled up on French side with diesel and LPG without any problems, except was asked for the first time by a young till girl what the LPG was for? Car, yes engine but you have camper. A guy came and looked and as I have my filler under the diesel filler he gave me thumbs up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
W
You should try it with a 10m RV. I have to pull in the mirrors, to get past the fire doors. Easy peasy. :)
when we went a couple of weeks ago there was a coach driver in front of us made a right pigs ear of getting on , must have been 15 mins shunting back and forth, maybe his first trip or something but others just sail on.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Fuel shortage????
What fuel shortage?

We are now at Gruissan (near Narbonne) and haven't had any problems filling up over the last two weeks.
There has been a local problem in the north I think but we have travelled from the centre of the country to the south and not seen any problems.
Don't worry about problems that don't exist, keep the tank topped up rather than let it run low and just enjoy your trip.

Richard.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Fuel shortage????
What fuel shortage?

We are now at Gruissan (near Narbonne) and haven't had any problems filling up over the last two weeks.
There has been a local problem in the north I think but we have travelled from the centre of the country to the south and not seen any problems.
Don't worry about problems that don't exist, keep the tank topped up rather than let it run low and just enjoy your trip.

Richard.
We always tend to fill up as soon as we half empty, costs no more well actually cheaper because you can choose a services that is cheap instead of emergency filling on a mway or something.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you see the Apache AutoTrial owners looking worried about entering the train, that'll be us :whistle:
There is plenty of room to get onto the train. The loading ramps are quite long so drive well across the ramp, then turn sharply so that the rear is in line and drive in straight and level.
Easy peasy!

Richard.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Well well well indeed we also have an Apache, small world, this trip we will be in a VW Golf estate, the shuttle is so easy and convenient you`ll wonder why you haven`t used it before.

We will look out for you but if we don`t find you have a safe journey, we are driving through France to italy taking 5 weeks to just chill out and enjoy.

Nov 23, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Well well well indeed we also have an Apache, small world, this trip we will be in a VW Golf estate, the shuttle is so easy and convenient you`ll wonder why you haven`t used it before.

We will look out for you but if we don`t find you have a safe journey, we are driving through France to italy taking 5 weeks to just chill out and enjoy.

and we have a VW Golf too :LOL: ......

Deleted User
Fuel shortage????
What fuel shortage?

Richard.

If you happen to be in the North or Brittany I can assure you there is a 'local' problem and the problem does exist unless the closed fuel stations and lack of diesel is all just a bad dream or I have slipped through a wormhole into an alternative reality:)

My advice, as others have said ship over with a full tank, fill up when possible and keep abreast of the situation.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I have just changed my crossing, now going to St Malo and if no fuel available at least I can have a lovely holiday in Brittany as long as we leave with full tank, we were heading for Arcachon but love Brittany and loads of lovely places to visit there,

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Just another thought ,are there any regulations on how much extra fuel in Jerry can you can take in the tunnel to France ?

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Just to answer my own question and it might be of interest to someone ,you are allowed to take 3x10 lt plastic containers or 1 x20lt metal container .

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
There is definitely a problem in Dieppe. I decided to return to UK rather than sit it out. Could last for 3 weeks, and I was on reserve tank, so couldn't really take a chance.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
See other threads on this subject!

As @matamoros says, there definitely is a problem in Brittany and Normandy especially near the coast.

Probably caused by panic buying but we've seen some garages closed, others with long queues, some with no queues, most with 25l restriction.

We've managed to stay topped up and will reach Calais for tunnel home on Wednesday.

The weather's hotting up just as we head home!

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I have just changed my crossing, now going to St Malo and if no fuel available at least I can have a lovely holiday in Brittany as long as we leave with full tank, we were heading for Arcachon but love Brittany and loads of lovely places to visit there,
We are going to Biarritz via Arachon crossing on Saturday via tunnel (not been that far down the west coast before). That is unless the problem gets worse in which case we may give the Mosel another try.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Howard,
Your van will have a 60 litre tank giving you a range of about 360-400 miles. Fill up at Dover before you go (there is a Tesco about 3 miles from the ferry. ) Once you get to France , assess the situation yourself and if you struggle to find diesel, don't go more than half your range, enjoy France and then make your way back.
I think from a previous thread you were intending to head south at a rate of knots but you may have to keep your plans fluid perhaps taking an eastern route so you are closer to Belgium or Germany.
I know it must be a worry for you but it may sort itself out in the two weeks before you go!

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Probably caused by panic buying but we've seen some garages closed, others with long queues, some with no queues, most with 25l restriction.!

Hmmmmmmmmmm 25l = 5.5g, so the next fuel station must be within 55miles ishhhhh. This could be a slow journey. :cooler:

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard,
Your van will have a 60 litre tank giving you a range of about 360-400 miles. Fill up at Dover before you go (there is a Tesco about 3 miles from the ferry. ) Once you get to France , assess the situation yourself and if you struggle to find diesel, don't go more than half your range, enjoy France and then make your way back.
I think from a previous thread you were intending to head south at a rate of knots but you may have to keep your plans fluid perhaps taking an eastern route so you are closer to Belgium or Germany.
I know it must be a worry for you but it may sort itself out in the two weeks before you go!
Thanks Namwaldog ,that's good advice I think that what I will do but I am the the sort of bloke that's likes every thing organised and pre arranged but this might be a wake up call to start chilling out a bit and going with the flow so I guess every cloud has a silver lining .Still looking forward to it :)

Last edited:
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Howard,

I may be wrong but I thought all Ducato/Peugot etc had a minimum tank size of 90 litres with an option to increase to 120.

Patrick

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I hope I am wrong but from Howard's avatar he has a Benimar Mileo 294. I took this from the datasheet from Marquis Leisure...

The Mileo 243, 264, 286 & 294 models have a 60 litre fuel tank capacity. The Mileo 313, 323 & 346 models have a 90 litre fuel tank capacity.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Fuel shortage????
What fuel shortage?

Richard.

There is no problem at all in that part of France (Gruissan ,that is!) as we (I am in Toulouse) have a "raffinerie" which is not blocked at all, hence you had no prob filling up. There are a few prob in north though! . @Howard H But still if you go a bit inland you'll find petrol/Diesel, just fill up before crossing , and you should be fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back