Tie Yer Mutt Down (1 Viewer)

?

Deleted User
What do you use for when your dog is in the van? I have a body harness but need to make an anchor point in the back. I dont have a problem drilling through the floor but unsure what would be best or strong enough. Mutt is about 7 stone.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have 3 dogs, and put them in harnesses and clipped into seat belts. 2 in the dinette and the 3rd or 4th into a spare double seatbelt clip bolted through the floor

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We put ours in a cage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
A 30 kg staffie in an impact would go airbourne and hit with an approximate force of 300kg. would kill the dog and any human it collided with. Too many people dont realise that

I also know of a couple on here that regularly drive up the road with a knife block sat on the side in the kitchen. bad enough being hit by a wooden knife block but airbourne sharp kitchen knives dont bear thinking about

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Ours has a bed but he goes where he wants (y)

I dont intend on crashing but if it was to happen i dont want a 7st dog hitting the back of my nut.

I dont have room for a cage nor have rear seat belts. Anyone know what size plate i would need for load bearing under the van of i was to drill a belt anchor in?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used an 8mm hardened steel bolt and a backplate about 100mm square under the floor which overlapped a rib already there

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
I used an 8mm hardened steel bolt and a backplate about 100mm square under the floor which overlapped a rib already there

I was lucky when i drilled for changing my double to single seat as the holes when in the same overlap as original just further in so never needed to look into it but what thickness is your steel plate? I am a bit concerned that if i use a seatbelt anchor then it would have to be MOT standard what is fine but i may as well do it right first time.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My dog (8.5kg) travels either on my wife's lap or on the floor between the front seats. In the event of a sudden stop or crash he would go under the dash or into the dash, not into us. Tried a cage but he goes into panic mode though the cage is fine in a car. When we did have an 'incident' he was very subdued but fine after a couple of minutes.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
Our has a harness & is belted into her personal designated travelling seat :)

I am going to start trying to get her to sit between the front seats and if she is happy then i can put a belt clip to a seat floor bolt but if she will not settle then i need to make something in the rear.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I dont intend on crashing but if it was to happen i dont want a 7st dog hitting the back of my nut.

I dont have room for a cage nor have rear seat belts. Anyone know what size plate i would need for load bearing under the van of i was to drill a belt anchor in?
What's 7st in real money?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A 30 kg staffie in an impact would go airbourne and hit with an approximate force of 300kg. would kill the dog and any human it collided with. Too many people dont realise that

I also know of a couple on here that regularly drive up the road with a knife block sat on the side in the kitchen. bad enough being hit by a wooden knife block but airbourne sharp kitchen knives dont bear thinking about
I don't do that. (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have attached an additional seat belt socket to the anchor point for my belt . I attach his harness to that & he'll sit/lay in between the seats .I don't worry about things becoming missiles from behind when the wife is asleep back there !:D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ours is a lot lighter than that #slimjim though my husband would disagree he keeps calling him a fat puppy. :(
Your dog wasn't much of a guard dog when you were burgled is he a softie?

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
I have attached an additional seat belt socket to the anchor point for my belt . I attach his harness to that & he'll sit/lay in between the seats .I don't worry about things becoming missiles from behind when the wife is asleep back there !:D

But the wife might end up being the missile. Thank god for Bulkheads. :LOL: Think i may just do what you did with the belt socket ( i have some) there is room for her to sit and lie down without getting in the way of any controls.

OP
OP
?

Deleted User
One of our labs is 45 kg, and he's arthritic so I often have to lift him into the car :X3:

Ours like the shower but i need to lift her over the bath. She is almost twice as heavy on the way out.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.

I've never met the person yet that sets out intending to have a crash but, it happens every day!
Seriously though ours are in a harness then on the seat belt.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My two sleep on the bottom bunk bed and are attached to a line of para cord running the length of the bed by seat belt clips on their body harness.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
My dog (8.5kg) travels either on my wife's lap or on the floor between the front seats. In the event of a sudden stop or crash he would go under the dash or into the dash, not into us. Tried a cage but he goes into panic mode though the cage is fine in a car. When we did have an 'incident' he was very subdued but fine after a couple of minutes.
Isn't this a tad dangerous?

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'm glad to see the majority of you keep your dogs tethered in some way...(y)

What pee's me off is seeing the dog laying on the parcel shelf ..! Of cars, I've even seen some on the front dash... What a distraction..:eek:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm glad to see the majority of you keep your dogs tethered in some way...(y)

What pee's me off is seeing the dog laying on the parcel shelf ..! Of cars, I've even seen some on the front dash... What a distraction..:eek:

That's not a real one, they give those out if you buy Churchill insurance :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back