Rubber roof (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi
I have a Dicor rubber roof on my 5er and I was thinking of putting a couple of Solar panels on it. How do you fix anything to a RR bearing in mind the WP membrane underneath?
JK

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Linda at Stateside Tuning or Duncan at Star Spangler Spanner would be a good start with advice and suitable sealants etc.

You can't use any old goo with your rubber.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Solar panels on a dicor roof HAVE to screwed using proper mounting blocks, available from (Mark at CLS) a sealant is reqd only to waterproof the screw holes under no circumstances can you rely on sealant alone as the wind lift will without doubts have the panels and rubber membrane off in a jiffy:Eeek:
Geo
ps the correct dicor sealant should also be used

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi
I have a Dicor rubber roof on my 5er and I was thinking of putting a couple of Solar panels on it. How do you fix anything to a RR bearing in mind the WP membrane underneath?
JK

Best for security to screw through the membrane into the structure. it's not recomended to fix heavy objects to any roof just using adhesive.

As far as the rubber roof goes, do NOT under any circumstances use sealants other than EPDM rubber compatable sealants (such as Dicors own self levelling sealant).

Ordinary silicon sealant will initially stick to a rubber roof and leave you thinking that they've worked properly.
I actual fact, one of the properties of EPDM rubber is that it "leaches" agents over its lifespan and consequently, ordinary silicon sealants will lift after 2 or 3 days and leak.

(B8gger, you beat me Geo :) )

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Last year I fitted a satellite system on my RV I sealed all joints with Dicor lap sealant which comes in tubes suitable for mastic guns. I got mine from ABP Accessories I believe Mobilerv also supply it.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
:Blush:

PS, what they said re attaching, I kinda forgot that bit and went straight to the sealing bit:Blush::Blush:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:Blush:

PS, what they said re attaching, I kinda forgot that bit and went straight to the sealing bit:Blush::Blush:
Easy done, Larry too:RollEyes:
I hope he put some screws as well in his dish mount:Doh:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Solar panels on a dicor roof HAVE to screwed using proper mounting blocks, available from (Mark at CLS) a sealant is reqd only to waterproof the screw holes under no circumstances can you rely on sealant alone as the wind lift will without doubts have the panels and rubber membrane off in a jiffy:Eeek:
Geo
ps the correct dicor sealant should also be used

Hey Yoof
I hope that was the correct Dicor sealent that I purloyned from your tool box

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Easy done, Larry too:RollEyes:
I hope he put some screws as well in his dish mount:Doh:

Yes it was simple . I only mentioned sealing with dicor, naturally mechanical fixing is a necessity.

Larry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back