Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've had a look for any threads on this topic but can't seem to find any!

How do folk clean out the inside of their Thetford cassette? Particularly that build up of hard water limescale? No amount of rinsing shifts it and you can only get in so far with brushes etc.
How about a proprietary household toilet limescale remover if kept away from the seals.

Any tips?

Cheers Dave

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thetford Cassette tank cleaner

edit.. pipped to the post.. literally

By cleaning the tank regularly, the moving parts will keep functioning properly, resulting in longer product life.
Pour 300ml Cassette Tank Cleaner in a rinsed out tank and fill it with at least 5L lukewarm water. Shake the tank several times back and forth then set it down and leave it for at least 24 hours.
After emptying, your waste-holding tank will be as good as new. Allow the tank to dry by leaving the blade open. Using Thetford Cassette Tank Cleaner before you store your camper or caravan for longer periods gives you a fresh start at the beginning of a new camping/adventure season.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Can you use plastic kettle descaler? I sometimes use citric acid on the seals as crystals form on it from time to time. Presumably from urine? Or maybe hard water area's.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any lime scale remover .. I have used all sorts over the years, even vinegar !

About twice a year I also do a 'deep clean' of the tank..
I tip about 1/2 a litre of Tescos thin bleach in and leave it for a few hours, giving it the occasional agitation ( as in a bloody good shake )
Once happy it is drained out and flushed with water

Iit is out with the jet wash and a bloody good blast all around the inside as best as possible..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can you use plastic kettle descaler? I sometimes use citric acid on the seals as crystals form on it from time to time. Presumably from urine? Or maybe hard water area's.?

citric acid and also white wine vinegar.. both can be used.. and also for de-scaling the Truma boilers..

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Cheers everyone...great replies and gave me a giggle also!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer my tank gets pretty thoroughly abused. I never clean the tank itself. However every six months I remove the mechanism from the tank and give it a thorough clean with a soft brush, then soak it in a strong solution of Citric Acid and very hot water. I brush it down ever 10 minutes or so and resoak until it is totally clean. I then live the whole mechanism a good drenching in silicone spray. I give the rubber seal a good spray once a month as well.

I didn't do this on my first mechanism and it lasted 4 years. 2 years in this one is still as good as new.

I don't think cleaning out the cassette itself is necessary.

This is the stuff I use. £3.49 for half a Kilo (500g) which last me a year or more. I use it on my kettle, sink and toilet.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just been looking at this thread. How much bio washing liquid is required in the cassette? I have been using a very small amount of bleach each time. Is this bad for the cassette?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We use Aldi bio tablets after a thread on here recommended them. We had always used Thetfords tablets before as I found the liquid stained . After the first use I was amazed just how clean the inside of the cassette was .

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have just cleaned mine,i used Thetford Cassette cleaner and very pleased with the result.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Just been looking at this thread. How much bio washing liquid is required in the cassette? I have been using a very small amount of bleach each time. Is this bad for the cassette?
I don't think the bleach will harm the cassette but I believe it may harm the seal.

If you go for the bio clothes liquid, just a capful after emptying is usually enough. Our cassette is 10 years old and it still clean and limescale free. To wash the bowl I dilute a bit of bio in a sports drink bottle and use this to rinse - good for use a a mini jet wash for clingons too :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think the bleach will harm the cassette but I believe it may harm the seal.

If you go for the bio clothes liquid, just a capful after emptying is usually enough. Our cassette is 10 years old and it still clean and limescale free. To wash the bowl I dilute a bit of bio in a sports drink bottle and use this to rinse - good for use a a mini jet wash for clingons too :Eeek:
I agree about bleach.
I use a capful or two (ish) of bio liquid, no accurate measure.
Our van is about 13 years old and I assume the cassette is the original. It had been cleaned when we bought the van over 4 years ago but there were some limescale deposits and it is now cleaner than it was then.
A year ago I bought a spare second hand cassette at a boot sale. It had been cleaned by the seller but there were some limescale deposits. I cleaned it out using bio liquid and it's almost like new now.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In Victorian times you'd have sent a small undernourished orphan in there to do the job. Now we have to find cheap alternatives due to a decline in traditional British values caused by interference from Brussels. Put down your sampler Martha my dear and hand me my quill - I'm penning a letter to the editor of The Daily Mail.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I've been soaking ours for days now, there is still hardened stuff on the bottom inside and I have used almost every cleaner known to humanity.

I don't think it's ever been cleaned before, if I can find the instructions I will remove the mechanism and blast it with the pressure washer today.

Hope I don't break it as we are off for the weekend tomorrow and I don't want to be smelling my "business" all weekend. :hot:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Having cleaned by hand #barf I have not taken the inner workings out and would want to try this. On my phone but is there a YouTube or other means of finding out how to do this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Even when we're not holidaying in the van, I use it for getting around at least twice a week. We leave the cassette about quarter full of water and add a bio wash tablet and let that slosh about as we drive, you could eat your dinner off...........well, maybe not, but you know what I mean :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back