Panic Buying, Service Stations in France run Dry (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Garages run dry as drivers panic
May 19, 2016

SERVICE stations in parts of Normandy and the neighbouring Loire-Atlantique department have run dry as blockades of refineries and oil terminals prompt panic-buying.

But reports of a fuel crisis are nothing more than a social media scare, transport secretary Alain Vidal has insisted.

Concerned motorists in Le Havre, Rouen, Caen and Dieppe brimmed their tanks following internet reports of an impending fuel crisis caused by anti-employment reform demonstrators blockading refineries and preventing fuel lorries from loading or leaving.

Long queues formed at service stations as drivers tried to ensure they would not run out of fuel in the days ahead. According to reports, 75% of fuel stations in Le Havre are currently closed.

But Mr Vidal told France 3 there was ‘no risk of shortage’. He said: “I want to stop this talk I see on some social networks.”

Petrol giant Esso said its refineries were operating normally. A spokesman told Le Figaro: "Service stations are facing a sharp increase in demand, resulting from the panic caused by the protest movement. There is no reason to talk about a shortage. All our stations are supplied."

Protesters also surrounded the Donges refinery in Loire-Atlantique, leading to shortages at stations in Guérande and Saint-Brevin. According to officials organising the demonstrations,, the blockade will remain in place until 1pm on Friday.

Meanwhile, the refinery at La Mede, Bouches-du-Rhône, has been blockaded since Tuesday.

Also read: Strike information May 19

- See more at: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Fran...-18072-view-article.html#sthash.7mdjYXbQ.dpuf

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As reported on Chat.
Contrary to general legislation the french Government have authorised deliveries over this weekend.
They were queueing at Concarneau, Brittany this morning.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
We are in Normandy, all the supermarkets we have passed this morning have their fuel closed off. Just called into Carrefour in Pontorson south of Mt St Michel, closed their fuel this morning. Lady on checkout said queues most of night. We passed an aire packed with lorries, currently on a very empty site.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We just had fuel at the Intermarche Chateaudun which seems busier but really not much problem .we only queued for a few mins and that was for the higher roof spot aisle 3m20..we topped up with 37 litres as that was all we needed ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
We have just travelled all the way from Calais to Narbonne last night and today and fuelled up 3 times and not seen any queues or any fuel station closed or with any shortages at all

Reactions: f6c
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
french are a bit like the yanks like a nice panick everynow and then
bill

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We are in the Limousin and but for reading on MHF we would have no idea that there was a fuel shortage or even a strike. Lots of press hype as usual is my guess

Deleted User
We are in the Limousin and but for reading on MHF we would have no idea that there was a fuel shortage or even a strike. Lots of press hype as usual is my guess

Not hype where we are near Guerande....no Diesel on Friday at the three fuel stations we passed whilst shopping, one of them closed altogether( Leclerc).

According to the BBC news the riot police lifted the blockades at 3 refineries on Wednesday......the blockade at the one near us at Donges was reinstated on Thursday.

General strikes are planned for 26th May and 14th June but the French Transport Minister says there is no fuel shortage so that's alright then:)

http://www.connexionfrance.com/New-dates-strikes-protests-18074-view-article.html

I have a crossing from Roscoff booked for the 14th July and have enough fuel at the moment to get there but may need to curtail our plans to use the Globecar to do a bit of touring unless things change.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have the motorway services still got fuel , all the ones we saw on Thursday had, ok it's dearer, but at 125 it's still only same as a pound here, so still cheaper than here if they have it.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Saturday
Well taking no chances driving through Poitiers just now saw the Auchen fuel stn on the Anguleme turning junction ...no queuing, topped up again easy should get pass Bordeaux now easily ..ok fingers crossed behind my back lolol

But we have seen fuel stns along the route with longer queues than normal but do-able

Sunday
We will be passing Bayonne shortly ..have not had or seen any probs so far other than this horrid rain today

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Picked up some fuel on the way from St Malo towards Cherbourg this a.m. but was only allowed 25ltrs. had hoped to bring a tank full home :crying1:. Also been unable to fill with GPL but hope to get some tomorrow in Cherbourg.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Filled with just over 70 ltrs at Carrefour in Narbonne this morning. No queues, no problems and only two other vehicles filling at the same time.
Panic? What panic?

Richard.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Sun, like sat, no fuel in Dieppe. Have crossed to UK as no fuel to travel .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fuel shortage and he goes in the Limousine:rolleyes::LOL:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We have been up and down the N21 from Limoge to below Bergerac and there is fuel all the route with no queues, that was Friday and we certainly have fuel in our SuperU at Oradour sur Vayres today Saturday

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
. DFDS point you to this website in French. Google translates Carburants manquants as missing fuel.

Our experience has been from Loire Valley, North to Fontainbleau, then Soissons, and now at Guines. Some stations taped or coned off when they run out. Some larger outlets seem to have longer queues. Many villages have fuel in the local facility. Motorways seem to have all fuels, though one had run out of super diesel.

Prices are up. The intermarche at Guines last night had diesel at €1.36 a litre. We decided as we had 3/4 of a tank to leave it for the locals.

Clearly, some areas are more badly affected than others.

No, sorry, I don't know how often the above website is updated, or how accurate it is to the minute, but I would expect DFDS to try to be helpful to their customers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back