Ducatto 2.8 idTD Loosing Power (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Like me, Elle seems to be loosing power and energy!
Our 16 year old Swift Gazelle feels like she is loosing power. It might be my imagination, but it seems that I'm having to drop down the gears more, or I notice I am down to 3rd when before I got up the same hill in forth. She still poodles along at 70 on the motorway if requested but now my foots flat to the floor when before I'm sure I had a bit left if required. I have not loaded anything new, infact I have lightened her load quite a bit other than my bacon butties and beer stocks. No smoking exhaust, no noisy turbo and no loose carpet under the accelerator! She is due her yearly full service and MOT shortly but only done 5600 miles since the last one. Total mileage is around 58000.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks. Pete

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Our 16 year old Swift Gazelle feels like she is loosing power. It might be my imagination, but it seems that I'm having to drop down the gears more, or I notice I am down to 3rd when before I got up the same hill in forth. She still poodles along at 70 on the motorway if requested but now my foots flat to the floor when before I'm sure I had a bit left if required. I have not loaded anything new, infact I have lightened her load quite a bit other than my bacon butties and beer stocks. No smoking exhaust, no noisy turbo and no loose carpet under the accelerator! She is due her yearly full service and MOT shortly but only done 5600 miles since the last one. Total mileage is around 58000.

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks. Pete

When was the fuel filter last changed ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
This time last year....(according to the used parts list on the service invoice!?) Mileage was 51732.

If the air filter is ok consider having a Terraclean done and / or run several tanks of Shell V Power, or similar through it & see if there's any difference, before contemplating spending big bucks.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
If the air filter is ok consider having a Terraclean done and / or run several tanks of Shell V Power, or similar through it & see if there's any difference, before contemplating spending big bucks.

Good advice thanks. I have tried putting in a couple of small bottles of RedX, something I remember from my youth, but think it might be too early for any resulting improvement.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Dont laugh but a mouse nest in the air box if its not used much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Dont laugh but a mouse nest in the air box if its not used much.

She does get used every month when we are not away on longer trips but I will send the cat in after I get back from town this afternoon!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
check the air intake pipe too. a friend had a loss of power on his work van and nothing was obvious. after stripping down a birds nest was found in the intake pipe

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I had a quad in here a few years ago they were complaining it was flat, I ask when was the last time you cleaned the air filter as the exhaust was black with soot, the reply "never" so I whipped off the seat, took the top off the air box, I dont actually know how he got to me it was full of hay & loft insulation, Home from home for Mr G Mouse :sneaky:

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
waste gate on turbo seizing up?

Hi, what's one of them?

Just been advised by a local friend to wait till the service and see if that improves the engine efficiency. Sounds like good advice but will check out if anything has made a home anywhere tomorrow.
Thanks to all who have responded. :clap:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
At that age the rubber intake pipes between the turbo and inlet manifold will be starting to perish and you may have a small split causing boost pressure loss. If you are lucky you may hear the leak but it's very difficult to get boost without being under load.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks. Pete

Give her an Italian tune up to clear the arteries :)

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
At that age the rubber intake pipes between the turbo and inlet manifold will be starting to perish and you may have a small split causing boost pressure loss. If you are lucky you may hear the leak but it's very difficult to get boost without being under load.

That sounds interesting. Will get it checked out. Thanks.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
looks similar to this
4544320.jpg

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
looks similar to this
4544320.jpg

It's absolutely pissisting it down outside at the moment so will look for it in the morning but would I have one of those nice new shiny components on my old girl?

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
if the boost hoses are originals I would remove them and inspect them not so much for holes or cuts etc but for delamination. It is quite common for these pipes to delaminate with age causing them to restrict airflow which will give the symptoms you describe. Silicon hoses or stainless boost pipes are a fit and forget upgrade to the OEM spec.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
An easy check for the waste gate valve is to use a pair of mole grips on the control rod to move the valve.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
if the boost hoses are originals I would remove them and inspect them not so much for holes or cuts etc but for delamination. It is quite common for these pipes to delaminate with age causing them to restrict airflow which will give the symptoms you describe. Silicon hoses or stainless boost pipes are a fit and forget upgrade to the OEM spec.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User

Another good bit of advice....will keep it in mind. Thanks.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Its very unlikely to be a siezed wastegate as on this generation they are normally closed and open only under high boost conditions (a fairly rare situation on a motorhome) so they tend to sieze shut if anything. Air intake blockage would be my first area for investigation, as said before Mice make nests in air filter housings and the van doesn't have to be out of use for long for the meeces to make a new home. I've found dead mice in the bottom of air filter housings before now. If that doesn't bring anything to light then fuel filter would be next in line. Diesels need three things to run well: air and plenty of it, fuel at high pressure and good compression.

One other possibility (although I'm not sure the 2.8 idtd has one) is the throttle valve, I had the one on my work Ducato (2.0 litre JTD) play up not long ago, the ball and socket on the operating linkage had worn away (209,000 miles) and the butterfly valve was simply getting sucked shut.
D.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Its very unlikely to be a siezed wastegate as on this generation they are normally closed and open only under high boost conditions (a fairly rare situation on a motorhome) so they tend to sieze shut if anything. Air intake blockage would be my first area for investigation, as said before Mice make nests in air filter housings and the van doesn't have to be out of use for long for the meeces to make a new home. I've found dead mice in the bottom of air filter housings before now. If that doesn't bring anything to light then fuel filter would be next in line. Diesels need three things to run well: air and plenty of it, fuel at high pressure and good compression.

One other possibility (although I'm not sure the 2.8 idtd has one) is the throttle valve, I had the one on my work Ducato (2.0 litre JTD) play up not long ago, the ball and socket on the operating linkage had worn away (209,000 miles) and the butterfly valve was simply getting sucked shut.
D.

Thanks for the advice Dave. Will do some checking tomorrow if it stops raining long enough.....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That wastegate is sitting right behind and to the rear of the engine block.
You get to it, either; by putting the 'van on a hoist or lifting one side of the 'van (Don't trust a jack. I did ours by putting the whole van on top of a pair of Fiammi Ramps and engaging first gear, applying the handbrake and chocking the wheels)
You can then crawl under and you will see that piece of kit as per the photo.
Give it a good seeing to lubrication wise and apply a pair of mole grips to the 'cam' end moving it in a left/right motion, you will see the rod move into and out of the vacuum at the other end.

Having said that, I don't think it's that as the classic signs of a stuck wastegate is that the engine management light comes on when keeping momentum up a hill at about 2700rpm. On some vans it's accompanied with a loss of power at that point but on others (mine included) the light came on causing panic for the occupants. Having done the above however, the van does operate more efficiently. Good luck.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I got called out to a range rover with similar problems a few years ago.
The rubber airbox to turbo pipe had delaminated.
The hose is made up of an inner skin, then braided reinforcement then an outer skin...all bonded together.
The outer 'tube' looked fine but the inner 'tube' had come away from the braid and outer and was collapsing partially blocking off the airflow...not enough to be drastic but enough to make it run like a bag of shite.
Temporarily removed the pipe and it ran fine.
Didn't drive it minus pipe but just revving with bonnet up proved it was ok.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I know people say there's no difference but ours feels sluggish when we use supermarket fuel all the time, but seems ok if using petrol station fuel.
This just my experience.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Well, just spent an hour or so looking for mice, birds, eggs, squirrels and nesting materials. (Sadly) nothing found. I took off the turbo pipework and realigned the hose fittings, they were not up tight with the housing but were tight anyway. One large jubilee clip took over an hour to release as whoever fitted it managed to get the screw head in a very difficult position and had rounded the Philips screw head in the process. Of the two hoses, that was the oldest with signs of delamination on the inside. The other seems to have been changed when I thought I had a turbo problem 10 years ago, turned out the hose had come off. On the "top" hose there were signs of engine oil residue, not gallons of it, just a film of oil inside the hose....Is that normal?
Anyway, all back together but have not tried it out under load as yet. Could not find the "Watergate" valve some of you have been talking about, apart from impeachments and troubles in my White House, what does it do?
Thanks for the continuing help, Elle is feeling loved and cared for!!

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As you have found delamination replace the hose as this is likely your issue and it won't get better. Oil residue in the boost pipes depending on quantity is normal, personally I would remove the inter cooler and empty out any oil then flush the system with a suitable solvent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back