Mazda Bongo (1 Viewer)

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Anone on here running a Mazda Bongo conversion, don't care which convertor, 321 Away, Montague, Imperial, etc, just want your impressions of this type of motor home.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have an 8 seaterbongo. seats drop down to make a bed good for w.ends .is a bit small. i bought a tin top n fitted full length roofrack n roof tent ,ideal now it can sleep 4 . going to a bongo fest near looe in cornwall this weekend get about 200 turn up .great vehicle cheap to buy n run. look at bongo fury on internet. cheers alan.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Never had one myself but knew a young fellow that had one for about 2 years, still has it as far as I know, went working abroad with it.
He used it on his own and had nothing but praise for it, he also used it for every day transport.
I know he toured round Scotland twice before going abroad, so it must have suited him OK

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rossifan

Free Member
Apr 29, 2009
Beckenham,Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
first year
Anone on here running a Mazda Bongo conversion, don't care which convertor, 321 Away, Montague, Imperial, etc, just want your impressions of this type of motor home.

RoseRoyce-I ran one for 5 years (elevating roof) good value but too small-awning a must.Get onto the bongofury.co.uk site and you will see all you need on there.More an MPV than a campervan.
Ron

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Roseroyce, I had one for about a year, rising top, full side conversion, great vehicle, only sold it because of my disability, I found it was a bit too small. In fact ended up towing a caravan with it. For anyone who's fit I think they are ideal ,compact enough to park anywhere and can be used everyday, plus has the advantage of 4wd. Mine was a turbodiesel. Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi there - have had one for 2 years now. As per other comments quite small - once you have put the seats down to make a bed there is no room to put your feet down on the floor.

Extremely versatile and easy to drive HOWEVER the fuel consumption is attrocious. I have the most common version which is auto 4X4. I average around 17-19 MPG and that is after I removed the front propshaft to effectively turn it to a 2WD.

They are great in everyother aspect if you can live with the fuel bills. Personally I would not have bought it if I knew how bad it is. People say you can get your MPG in the high 20s but that' only if you cruise at 55mph on a flat road and with plenty of tai wind.

Best of luck

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi sam. are you going to the bongo bash this weekend at caraden camping between pelynt n looe .cheers alan. we get about 25/26 to gallon. doesnt matter if we tow anything or drive it hard doesnt seem to vary much. cheers alan.

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
hi sam. are you going to the bongo bash this weekend at caraden camping between pelynt n looe .cheers alan. we get about 25/26 to gallon. doesnt matter if we tow anything or drive it hard doesnt seem to vary much. cheers alan.

Hi Alan,

No I'm afraid not. Having bought my precious MH 4 weeks ago and having been hampered by burned out clutch and work commitments :cry: I CAN'T WAIT to go away for the weekend before the weather starts turning bad... Not even sure where to go yet but it needs to be somewhere fairly close...maybe Bude??

I think I might me heavy footed with my Bongo or the engine in yours is running a lot more efficiently :thumb: I was thinking of selling it after I bought the MH but the kids like it too much and the missus put a whooping dent down the side of it the day before we got the MH:Sad:

All the best

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years

hi i have a bongo as well as rv love it to bits but not the best veaicle ive had it is as aerodynamic as a house brick poor on fuel but you can run it on chip fat or bio diesel without any adjustments to it...i never have carnt bring myself to do it..lol

flyingdoc

Free Member
May 23, 2009
essex centre of universe
Funster No
MH
DUETTO HI TOP
Exp
20 YEARS
bongo crap mpg

HI ,i run a bongo tintop as my day vehicle ,round town bin only getin 17mpg ,ive put a hho generator on it , and now does 22-23 mpg ...this is wot its supposed to do.. without hho :Doh:,brilliant van but bad mpg, thinking of selling it to get mercedes vito ,aparantly do about 35-40 + old transits do the same without hho gens, ive got a transit duetto camper = loads of wieght !18ft this does 35-40 mpg + upto 45 with onboard hho fitted,i recon bongo's are cheap coz of crap mpg.BUT its probally the trade off /bongo does go like a rocket..!+smooth too..!:Cool::thumb:.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Great vehicles, I have a friend with one and he loves it. I also have a pop top so have the same space restrictions but we prefer the freedom that having this type of motor home gives.
My only observations when away together is he makes two fuel stops to my one and he has problems getting his Bongo under a 2m height restriction, that can be a bit of a pain.

Apart from that it is an excellent pop top. :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
HI ,i run a bongo tintop as my day vehicle ,round town bin only getin 17mpg ,ive put a hho generator on it , and now does 22-23 mpg ...this is wot its supposed to do.. without hho :Doh:,brilliant van but bad mpg, thinking of selling it to get mercedes vito ,aparantly do about 35-40 + old transits do the same without hho gens, ive got a transit duetto camper = loads of wieght !18ft this does 35-40 mpg + upto 45 with onboard hho fitted,i recon bongo's are cheap coz of crap mpg.BUT its probally the trade off /bongo does go like a rocket..!+smooth too..!:Cool::thumb:.
Hi Doc, What is a hho?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back