Travelling from London heading North along East coast. What to see? (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Dear members. We are leaving London shortly heading North and want to go mainly along the East coast up to Scotland.

I have the D Day practice landing beaches near Hollesey Bay, WW2 aerials near Aldeburgh, flooded village at Dunwich, cliff erosion east of Norwich, Scarorough, Whitby, that I want to see on the way. I have these written on my map that someone has suggested.

Are there any other sights that should not be missed on the way?
Thanks
Colin

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Good pubs and beer with a head on!!!!:p:p:p
You can't go wrong with Whitby area and the Northumberland coast. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Northumberland - Farne Islands if you like boat trips and birds, Bamburgh Castle and Holy Island

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lindisfarne ( Holy island) Bambrough beach and the Farne Islands in Northumberland .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Newcastle has Roman remains.
And the remains of a football team :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Yorkshire, Durham and Northumberland coasts all have attractive areas. If you have taken out C&CC membership check the meets and THSs as several are held along all those coasts.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As above, all good recommendation - the Farne Islands and lindisfarne plus Bamburgh castle are favourites.

In the North East, around Acklam, you can also see the local peasants indulging in their traditional road-kill gathering ceremony, followed by the stuffing of the Acklam piesties with the same. ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As above, all good recommendation - the Farne Islands and lindisfarne plus Bamburgh castle are favourites.

In the North East, around Acklam, you can also see the local peasants indulging in their traditional road-kill gathering ceremony, followed by the stuffing of the Acklam piesties with the same. ;)
:lips::moon2::laughing:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Colin - Try the following places all in Gods County. Spurn Point at the mouth of the Humber, Flamborough and Bempton near Bridlington for fantastic cliffs. Further up the coast, Ravenscar, Robin Hoods Bay for stunning settings. Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Port Mulgrave and Staithes all north of Whitby then up to Saltburn before you reach the county of Cleveland.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Aldeburgh or Southwold for some fresh (landed that day) fish!!

Of course you could always take a guided tour of Skeggy from @Tootles ;)

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
York is well worth a diversion inland. They have brilliant park n ride system but check first as some of them have height restricted barriers.
http://www.itravelyork.info
Whitby and lindisfarne are good too.
Hope you enjoy your travels

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have the D Day practice landing beaches near Hollesey Bay,

that must be at Shingle Street .. ?

We live close by and din't know they used the beaches for that purpose.. there are a lot of old coastal defence works and a WW2 gun battery remains in Bawdsey, East Lane... see map of area https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0029703,1.4060337,15.14z?hl=en

Close by you also visit the . it has open days.. see website..

you can wild camp at Bawdsey Quay in the lay-by..

PM me if you need any more info

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
How about Warkworth,Amble,Alnwick and Berwick then up to Dunbar.
C&CC sites at Dunstan hill for Craster kippers,Beadnell Bay for fish &a chips at Seahouses to name but a few

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Colin - Try the following places all in Gods County. Spurn Point at the mouth of the Humber, Flamborough and Bempton near Bridlington for fantastic cliffs. Further up the coast, Ravenscar, Robin Hoods Bay for stunning settings. Sandsend, Runswick Bay, Port Mulgrave and Staithes all north of Whitby then up to Saltburn before you reach the county of Cleveland.

Saltburn on the sea is where we started. Have marked these on the map. Thanks

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Dear members. We are leaving London shortly heading North and want to go mainly along the East coast up to Scotland.

I have the D Day practice landing beaches near Hollesey Bay, WW2 aerials near Aldeburgh, flooded village at Dunwich, cliff erosion east of Norwich, Scarborough, Whitby, that I want to see on the way. I have these written on my map that someone has suggested.

Are there any other sights that should not be missed on the way?
Thanks
Colin
From what you have already listed, I would suggest that you might be interested in Eden Camp, just 23 miles inland from Scarborough.
http://www.edencamp.co.uk/

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Skegvegas :eek: give it a wide berth imo.
DEAR OH DEAR!! Skegness, the jewel in the crown of the East coast!! Picture this. You drive into this delightful little town, and savor the aroma from the nearest chippy.....Sheer bliss! :love: Miles of golden beaches, a sea of blue, barmy winds right from the glaciers cool you as you sashay down the exquisite promenade, just heaven itself! :):):)

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
DEAR OH DEAR!! Skegness, the jewel in the crown of the East coast!! Picture this. You drive into this delightful little town, and savor the aroma from the nearest chippy.....Sheer bliss! :love: Miles of golden beaches, a sea of blue, barmy winds right from the glaciers cool you as you sashay down the exquisite promenade, just heaven itself! :):):)

Sounds like a must see they way you describe it. You wouldn't be glossing over any bits or enhancing it slightly would you????

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Ingleby Barwick near Middlesbrough/Stockton is a "must do"
overnight parking, empty out and fill up with water!
Free hangover included!

OP
OP
Kiwi Coss

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
and don't forget to bring plenty of photos of your granddaughter :)
We have soooooo many will take a week to see them all. Will try and post one as an appertiser just for you Mike. Hope to get up there before you go. Still got that $10 in me pocket for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back