When I thought it couldn't get any worse....it just did....a whole lot worse (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you've been following my post on my problems with the motorhome and it's associated costs. Well today we were on the A1 on our way to London when I felt a rumble through the wheels. Initially I thought it was the road surface, then wondered if the wheel problem had returned? Both those scenarios were quickly dispelled when there was one hell of a loud bang. The rear end was squirming all over the place and that was just me.:eek: The rear nearside tyre had exploded. I struggled with the steering while putting the hazards on. I managed to bring it to a walking pace and spotted a layby and although it was coned off for imminent road works I managed to get in. I was amazed though how despite the fact that I had the hazards on and I was as far to the left that I could get we were nearly rear ended by a transit van.
Once parked up relatively safely I inspected the damage thinking I might just get away with a new tyre. No such luck. The whole of the wheel arch liner was gone, locker panels were displaced, the boiler locker inside was covered with wet road detritus, the central service locker panel was hanging off, wires for the boiler had been ripped out along with some damage to the water system which was spewing water all over the floor.
Rang the AA who got a young lady out to us within 45 minutes. This was his second day in the job so I guided him through it. First he couldn't get the jack under the chassis now that the wheel was on its rim so I got the Millenco Quads out and reversed far enough up to enable him to get it under. Then I had to talk him through dropping the spare wheel carrier. Don't get me wrong, he was a smashing lad and i was pleased to be able to guide him on his first motorhome breakdown. Anyway we limped home and will be heading for London in one of the cars tomorrow and should still get to see the two West End shows that we have booked. The main thing is that we are both OK, things could have been a lot worse.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
What a pain , hope insurance covers ok and sorted soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
So sorry - rotten luck, but as you say at least you are both safe

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So glad you are unhurt. Everything else can be repaired.

Similar happened to us when we were in France in our old Hymer...... very frightening. Not sure of it would have helped but I rate the tyrepal system, wouldn't be without it. Obviously if it was debris on the road that caused the blow out tyrepal would not have helped.

And yes, the transit driver - there are some idiots who never give any room or margin for error. Wonder of he was on the phone or generally just a prat?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
So sorry to hear this,we were coming back from Portugal and just entered France in the massive road works just across the border on the N10 when we saw a camper( new) coming the other way, a tyre had exploded and he was making his way through the cones in the roadworks to get to a safe place,scary stuff with trucks and bits of bodywork hanging off,glad you survived OK.enjoy the show!!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
flippin' 'eck, but thankfully you're both okay..

you will of course be taking this up with the garage that 'repaired' the previous braking issue when the shock of what's happened has worn off, sounds like they've really cocked up, the liability has to be on their shoulders surely?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Puts into perspective some of the 'problems' I've had, absolutely nothing compared to yours but, as you say, fortunately no-one was hurt. Scary tho!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Well done for hanging on to it, underware can be cleaned though. What pressure was in the tyre and when was it last checked?

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
flippin' 'eck, but thankfully you're both okay..

you will of course be taking this up with the garage that 'repaired' the previous braking issue when the shock of what's happened has worn off, sounds like they've really cocked up, the liability has to be on their shoulders surely?

Actually it was the other side to the repair work so not the garages fault.

Ranger, I run them at 5.5bar (75psi ) as per email from Frankia.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..

apologies, i'd read about your previous problem and made a wrong assumption that it was the same wheel..:oops:
from what you wrote in your original post in the thread here it seemed logical, well to me, that maybe the wheel had seized up and that was what had possibly caused the tyre to overheat and explode..

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

Thank you 5.5bar would go with a hell of a bang and do damage. Once had a tyre on a competition car with 110 psi go bang and it moved the steel wing out over an inch.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Glad you survived OK, can I ask what age the tyre was, we keep hearing that tyres should be changed inside 7 years wonder now if that is too long?

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Thank you 5.5bar would go with a hell of a bang and do damage. Once had a tyre on a competition car with 110 psi go bang and it moved the steel wing out over an inch.

Put it this way, if that explosion had happened near Old Trafford last sunday they would have evacuated all of Manchester not just the ground.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Good job it was the other side to your recent repair at least there is no arguement about any liability

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a friend of mine owns a tyre fitting business and he described motorhome tyres as round bombs. the rumbling and rough ride was the case of the tyre starting to split and balloon out i expect. sadly a very common failure on motorhomes especially with tyres over 5 years old. certainly a good reminder to check the state and age of tyres regularly

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Glad you are all ok. Bit of a bummer though. Go enjoy the shows and forget about your woes for a while.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What an arse ache..
I think its gonna take more than a bit of gaffa tape on that problem !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back