Where to stay in the New Forest (1 Viewer)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi every-peeps, this might seem like a daft question for someone who lives in the New Forest but of course I live here, so I tend not to use camp sites 1 mile from home, though last week-end I did stay down in Burley and had a luverly-time

The fact is I regularly receive request for information about Camp Sites in the New Forest from fellow funsters and have received another one this morning.

Please bear in mind that the reports of Alabama Rot are far greater in other parts of Britain for example the outskirts of Manchester, than in the New Forest.

I Quote:-
Please remember:

• The number of cases is a small proportion of the dogs walked in the New Forest every day
  • This is not isolated to the New Forest - similar cases have been identified in other parts of the country
  • The Forest is open for business as usual.
I am aware of a number of members who are very knowledgeable about the New Forest so really looking for input from @Les , @Carol , @Debs , @Theonlysue , @Zigisla @Kool Kroozer @MH 55 FUN etc

So where have YOU stayed in the New Forest that you could recommend for Dog-walking and scenic beauty.

Cheers ........ Griff

Last edited:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes we stayed there a couple of weeks ago.. I love sites where they let you pitch up where ever you want.. No showers or toilets but elsan and water.. Grey waste etc.. an some pitches have EHU.. Site is right near a cycle route.. Well the disused track runs through the actual site itself.. £14 per night.. Peaceful and tranquil an when the suns out.. Unbeatable.. Love the New Forest and will be back again very soon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
So where have YOU stayed in the New Forest that you could recommend for Dog-walking and scenic beauty.
Thinking of coming to stay at yours Griff.......(y) EHU, you can run us to the shops, the dog is housetrained, and the wife only farts occasionally.....:)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
It was on this site also where i witnessed for the firdt time ever a new type of breakthrough in wind breakers..
20160507_103133-1.jpg

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Thinking of coming to stay at yours Griff.......(y) EHU, you can run us to the shops, the dog is housetrained, and the wife only farts occasionally.....

Take no notice Funsters, the fact is Tootles lets a sly one go and then BLAMES the wife.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Take no notice Funsters, the fact is Tootles lets a sly one go and then BLAMES the wife.
HA........M'lud, the council for the prosecution has, may I say, dropped a wrong one there! I can provide proof that my esteemed and much loved client, (Tootles), is no longer capable of "letting a sly one go", as he puts it...........:rofl:

Anyway, yours it is then?? :whistle:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I stayed in the New Forrest at the start of the year, warden was a bit of a grumpy bugger just because i was 5 mins late although that was all forgotten when i met his lovely daughter the following day.:) :)

I wont name the place you will knwo it when you turn up as he will be smoking a pipe and eating Spinach

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
HA........M'lud, the council for the prosecution has, may I say, dropped a wrong one there! I can provide proof that my esteemed and much loved client, (Tootles), is no longer capable of "letting a sly one go", as he puts it...........:rofl:Anyway, yours it is then?? :whistle:

I stand corrected, there must be two Tootles as the one I'm thinking of is to say the least a Ner-do-well and is most certainly NOT 'much-loved'. :rofl:

This is the one that pretends to be the real McCoy but is far too nice to be the genuine Ner-do-Well.

IMG_0974_800x600.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We use Ashurst, showers, toilets, no EHU and very handy for the train and pub. Pitch up wherever you want.

Now Ashurst used to be run by @Ven , possibly still is, but although my eldest son lives in Ashurst, it is a site I've never visited, so thank you for the heads up.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We use Ashurst, showers, toilets, no EHU and very handy for the train and pub. Pitch up wherever you want.
Ashurst is indeed a great site, but please be aware that this site is Dog free. It is the only "Camping in the Forest" site that is though. I of course would stay at @Popeye but I can take a hint. - you promised me your address, but that never came, so as I said, after spending a few mins with me and drinking my Tea, you left and no forwarding address. I can take the hint:crying1:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think the no dogs rule is because of the ponies and the influx of weekend tent campers, if the weather is good literally hundreds of people appear on a friday evening.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I stand corrected, there must be two Tootles as the one I'm thinking of is to say the least a Ner-do-well and is most certainly NOT 'much-loved'. :rofl:

This is the one that pretends to be the real McCoy but is far too nice to be the genuine Ner-do-Well.

View attachment 106495
AHEM.........If you take the trouble to admire the said photo, young sir, you will observe that the said gentleman is bedecked with fit totty, one, no less, being your own lovely wife! (y) He (me) certainly looks 'much loved'! Maybe it's his fantastic smile, or maybe his lovely tan, or even his Rolex Oyster watch. :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My favourite site was / is Roundhill; just outside Brokenhurst. Like all Camping in the Forest sites, it is a pitch where ever and however (within reason) you like. Setthorns is the only site where you are in "Bays". Roundhill is beside a disused airfield; as most of the sites are, an it a great circular walk - 1 hr ish. I has toilet and showers - Portacabin type, and a dog wash. Easy walk into Lyndhurst. I have now been drawn to Oknell. Large disused airfield with again, pitch where you like policy. The taxiways and hard standing areas are great sized and you can park on the concrete and pitch awnings etc on the grass. Only a toilet block and there are some areas they don’t want you to park if you don’t have a chemical loo. Fantastic area to walk and run the dogs as well. Be mindful of the Deer, they are everywhere.
http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/new-forest

Oknell.JPG

Just me and my mates!!

Deer at Oknell.JPG

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I was told by the Ashurst warden that they have a no dogs rule because of ground nesting birds.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Just me and my mates!!

I had a cup of tea right there last Saturday, nice bloke made it, he must have left before you arrived. :whistle2:

Zigisla.jpg

We did call round to see you on the Sunday Mike but you had a car there and a very young lady with you and you were both in the middle of lunch so I turned around and hi-tailed it out of there in case your wife turned up too. (Blue Land Rover)

Come and see us at Newbury.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
@Popeye Are you classing Hurst View as in the Forest?

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
At Setthorns just now, given doggy envelope by wardens to warn about Alabama rot, doggy biscuits, vets addresses and dog friendly pubs thought it was a nice touch. Tv and wifi working fine.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
New Forest Caravan Club Centenary Site, Bransgore (in my opinion more Holmsley than Bransgore)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can recommend a beauty - fully serviced with cake and wine/beer/tea/ coffee/lovely hostess (host could be a bit 'ornery at times) and PYO plants included as well! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back