Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Have a Chausson which has a kit to inflate a flat tyre should it happen.
I have accepted this as perhaps they know what they are doing, after all they are a very big company, also there is no jack included anyway.
Have thought about this and can't be convinced totally, although we have breakdown service I also have had the tyres injected with tyre safe liquid which apparently stops punctures but not rips.
The question is shall we just do nothing else or buy a jack and spare wheel ( do not think I could use the jack on a big vehicle )or just a new tyre.?
No doubt Chausson would say do nothing,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Have a Chausson which has a kit to inflate a flat tyre should it happen.
I have accepted this as perhaps they know what they are doing, after all they are a very big company, also there is no jack included anyway.
Have thought about this and can't be convinced totally, although we have breakdown service I also have had the tyres injected with tyre safe liquid which apparently stops punctures but not rips.
The question is shall we just do nothing else or buy a jack and spare wheel ( do not think I could use the jack on a big vehicle )or just a new tyre.?
No doubt Chausson would say do nothing,
We dont carry a jack, but do have a spare wheel. No way would, (or could), I even contemplate jacking up the Hymer and changing the wheel. Leave it to 'the man'. Thats what you pay every year for. (y)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
As you have breakdown insurance I'd travel with at least a spare tyre, the tyreseal gunk is useless if the tyre splits & in the event of a simple puncture some types render the tyre useless anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Never been a fan of the tyre liquid kit. My current car is the first vehicle I have ever bought with just the kit and no spare. I worried about it when I first had it, but a year on and no punctures, I don't think about it now.
But.....
Our van has a proper tool kit and Jack and a spare wheel. I know I can jack it up if needed and if I can ever figure out how to get the spare wheel off the carrier, I could change the wheel easily.
I wouldn't want to be without a spare wheel on the van in some of the remote places we find ourselves.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just have the spare wheel and let your breakdown do the rest you don't want to be stranded on the motorway whilst your wheel is taken for repair at least you can get on with your trip and get the puncture repaired at your leisure.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Even if I wanted to carry a spare wheel, there is nowhere to put it on my MH. I had to take one to Morocco and I put it on the cycle rack, but I can't do that "normally" as the cycle rack fouls the scooter trailer. Punctures? I take my chances and carry good breakdown insurance and (tempting fate!), so far, so good. I did have my tyres filled from new with a sealant which was meant seal small punctures and let you carry on. Has it worked? I don't know, but I haven't had a puncture yet!

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I wouldn't be without a spare wheel and the means to change it. I've changed several wheels over the years and it's no more a problem to do than with a car. The biggest problem is usually with where the spare wheel is stored. You don't want to be trying to lower the spare from an inaccessible cradle if you have to jack up the van to do it.

As for manufacturers knowing what they are doing, it's quite obvious to me, from the continuously poor detail results evident to some degree in most motorhomes, that design is being driven by marketing departments and not by anyone who actually uses the end product in the real world. After all, not supplying a spare wheel is the manufacturers way of saying that you'll always only have a small puncture in a place where you can use your phone to call someone who will work at weekends and have the right wheel/tyre instantly available. In reality their fancy, showroom friendly, design means that they have left nowhere to put a wheel or they don't want to draw attention to how inaccessible it is, so they give you a bottle of gunge and try to imply that it's the modern way to go.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I've changed several wheels over the years and it's no more a problem to do than with a car. The biggest problem is usually with where the spare wheel is stored. You don't want to be trying to lower the spare from an inaccessible cradle if you have to jack up the van to do it.
I must then ask 'why'? o_O Why lie in the road, with a chance of getting hit or run over, why struggle with wheel nuts which were probably put on with a torque gun, struggle with a most times heavy wheel, risk the jack slipping, when you can just phone the man, make a nice cup of tea, read the paper, and await a knock on the door??

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Not an issue on my current van but previously have carried a spare tyre (not wheel). Wouldn't want to do the job myself and would always get the breakdown guys to change.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although I've got a spare wheel and a proper 5 ton hydraulic jack, I would hesitate to attempt to change it myself unless I absolutely had to, and even then don't know if I could get the wheelnuts off. As it happens I've also got a tin of the gunk but the manager of my local tyre fitters said they wouldn't repair a tyre that has been reflated with the stuff.

When we went to Morocco this year I carried a spare tyre (carcass only) on an unused part of the roof, just in case.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many folks in the RV world just carry a tyre.
Regular roadside breakdown may take your wheel and tyre to a tyre fitter which you will have to pay for or call out a mobile tyre fitter.

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Talking about changing tyres as anyone tried or watched a breakdown person try to change a wheel with a motorhome with wheel is partly buried under the valance mudgaurd the one's with a straight infill across the top of the arch

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As it happens I've also got a tin of the gunk but the manager of my local tyre fitters said they wouldn't repair a tyre that has been reflated with the stuff.
I can understand why as well.
Really messy stuff and while most is water soluble it still has to be thoroughly clean inside or any repair plug won't stick.
Thing is, if a quality sealer is used, SLIME etc, it has a four or five year life and should outlast the tyre.
If the slime won't seal the puncture (up to 10mm) then the hole is too large for a repair plug anyway and a new tyre will be needed in any case.
The sealer provided in place of a spare is only a temporary 'get you home' fix and the tyre needs repairing/replacing as soon as possible

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I must then ask 'why'? o_O Why lie in the road, with a chance of getting hit or run over, why struggle with wheel nuts which were probably put on with a torque gun, struggle with a most times heavy wheel, risk the jack slipping, when you can just phone the man, make a nice cup of tea, read the paper, and await a knock on the door??

Why? Because I can, and I wouldn't wish to have to rely entirely on hoping I can get a cellphone signal, that the man speaks english, will answer his phone, work on his day off or arrive within a reasonable timeframe. That's Plan B.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In reality their fancy, showroom friendly, design means that they have left nowhere to put a wheel or they don't want to draw attention to how inaccessible it is, so they give you a bottle of gunge and try to imply that it's the modern way to go.
Valid points but the primary reason is cost cutting....and to a lesser extent, weight saving.
A spare wheel and tyre plus scissor jack....£150 to £200 and 30kg
A bottle of sealant/inflator.....£10 and 1kg

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The manufacturer is saving lots of money by not supplying you with a spare wheel and tyre, Jack, wheel brace etc. But remember this unless you are stood still when the tyre deflates because your vehicle is 99% certain to be running at or very near to its MPW when that tyre goes down by the time you come to a standstill it will very probably be damaged beyond the capabilities of a can of gunk.
I always carry a spare wheel and tyre.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just have the spare wheel and let your breakdown do the rest you don't want to be stranded on the motorway whilst your wheel is taken for repair at least you can get on with your trip and get the puncture repaired at your leisure.
if you do not have a spare you will always be recuverd to a place of safety usualy the next services
bill

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The new Hymer is coming, but no spare . only a tin of GLOOP and an air pump, so I have bought a new steel Sprinter wheel and will get a new economy tyre when I know what size they actually are. I have an 8 tonne jack and a torque wrench to do it up afterwards. I have
ONLY EVER had tyre troubles not breakdowns as such. NO WAY without a spare wheel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back