they wont insure car (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I insure my motorhome with Comfort, cant fault them nice people to talk to, last year got a reduction because I was able to reduce the mileage. They are quite happy for me to tow my car but they wont insure it, (insured elsewhere but very expensive), cant get a good enough reason why. Anyone else got the same problem?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I insure my motorhome with Comfort, cant fault them nice people to talk to, last year got a reduction because I was able to reduce the mileage. They are quite happy for me to tow my car but they wont insure it, (insured elsewhere but very expensive), cant get a good enough reason why. Anyone else got the same problem?
So, surely your car is already insured.....As a car, I mean?? You cant insure a car twice. Dosen't it class as a trailer if being towed? Then, it would be covered by your MH policy, as long as they allow the towing of trailers.......

OP
OP
Goldenoldies
May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I don't want to insure it twice, I would just like both vehicles insured with the same company. They allow me to tow, but wont insure me to drive it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I don't want to insure it twice, I would just like both vehicles insured with the same company. They allow me to tow, but wont insure me to drive it.
Well, go elsewhere (for the car insurance)........Seems like your only option.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, surely your car is already insured.....As a car, I mean?? You cant insure a car twice. Dosen't it class as a trailer if being towed? Then, it would be covered by your MH policy, as long as they allow the towing of trailers.......

Trailer cover is usually only up to 750kgs .

Franck

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
13 years
Comfort do car insurance for motorhome owners, I got a quote last month. Check their website. The quote was horrendous though and we went with SAGA who also give us unlimited use abroad.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So how do the peeps towing a car on a four wheeled trailer go on?? o_O
As far as I know you'd have to insure the car separately if the cars own insurance did not cover it when on the trailer.
When I used to tow in the UK it was only the trailer itself that was covered ,not any load/contents. Used to have to insure separately to cover stuff being carried.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
With some companies It does get quite complicated with "Toad" insurance
If you care to ask the right questions you may find you are woefully underinsured some limit trailer cover to a max of £2,500.
Remember this should you choose to class your car as a trailer

ask if trailers are covered and the answer may well be yes, ask what the value limit is under trailer section and you may get a shock.
ask if agreed value cover is available for a trailer and again the answer may well be yes so
You then start the agreed value process ie my trailer is worth 10K etec etc and all is well till they ask you the make of the trailer
Smart or Vauxhall or Ford is not in their tick box menu so it all goes tits up again most folk dont realise
the car ON the trailer is in fact "goods in transit" and again not always covered by trailer or the cars road policy either because it's not on the road when its on a trailer:doh:

Some insurers simply say Oh yesy your all covered either way Really!!! try asking the correct questions and you may find they meant it is, but third party only
You really do need to do your home work and ask if your Toad is FULLY insured (as in they will pay for all damage and a Total loss if the worst happens
G
Ps
I have Fully Comp road risks along with third party liability, trailer cover and Goods in transit cover

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Some insurers cover towed car third party only . I have insured car with NFU, LV and now Admiral who all insure comprehensive when being towed and accept a frame as modification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back