Obserview reversing camera - Autotrail stuff (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Gremlins have struck - well, not really it's wear 'n tear I guess.

2005 AT Dakoto has an Obserview make 7" LCD flip down reversing camera screen - something I need and am lost without. Model No of complete kit: AFD-70S2NS
Confident I've sussed the problem, it's the lead from the screen which connects to the lead to the control unit. The "flipping it down" has caused the insulation to chaff, cut through nearly all screening on one cable and has partially cut through another cable. If I connect the screen direct to the control box and wiggle the cable I get a picture...or lose it.

Not a problem to resolder I thought; it is! Blow torch and plumbing is good - this needs more delicacy.
The cable is made up of 8 cores, 3 of which are screened - I can't find any of this cable anywhere and if I did, I'd still have the fiddly job of connecting it to a mini din plug at one end and a computer type flat strip connector at the other end.

I've passed the cable to a decent TV repair shop to see if he can fix it - a lot of teeth sucking and he's not sure he can do it...we'll see!

I've contacted Sargent Electrical who couldn't help. Google threw up a SCS Components who supplied the kit, but they're gone it seems and the manufacturer no longer exists.

I really don't want to go the expense of removing and replacing the kit (it's a Scottish thing!) so my options are limited:
*Attempt to have the cable repaired...it'll be considerably shorter and may cause problems & "Tooth suckers" don't fill me with confidence!
*Remove and replace - recommendations please? I do want something reliable, that'll have low light capabilities and isn't going to be a pig to fit. Cost - it's that Scottish thing again.
*My favourite would be to track down a spare screen, or even the lead if someone has removed similar a dead screen. Anyone got one gathering dust that they'd like to exchange for a few of the Queens finest pounds?

Of course any other suggestions will be gratefully received!:)

Thanks, David

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'd continue on the repair path. It's obviously a decent bit of kit & will continue to be so once repaired. If you need extra length take a look at a full fat SCART cable (if you're like most people you'll have a house full of them). They have a stereo screened pair, a video screened single, and a few spare unscreened wires. Another alternative is head unit to CD player cable. Both those are specced way in excess of your needs.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cable, plugs and wiring to a Decent guy should not be an issue..
If they have the original cable and all the wires with colours are connected then they only need to make a diagram before making up a new lead.. 8 core cable aint that hard to get or the plugs..

Good luck.. The Rear camera went on my AT 700 and luckily the previous man at Sargent gave me the wiring details.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Cable, plugs and wiring to a Decent guy should not be an issue..
If they have the original cable and all the wires with colours are connected then they only need to make a diagram before making up a new lead.. 8 core cable aint that hard to get or the plugs..

Good luck.. The Rear camera went on my AT 700 and luckily the previous man at Sargent gave me the wiring details.

Hi Tonka

Any chance you can let me have the wiring diagram?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hi Tonka

Any chance you can let me have the wiring diagram?

I knew that would be asked...!!! It was only for the camera to the Obserview box, been looking BUT that was over 5/6 years ago and dont look like I have it any more.. If I do find it will let you know..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I knew that would be asked...!!! It was only for the camera to the Obserview box, been looking BUT that was over 5/6 years ago and dont look like I have it any more.. If I do find it will let you know..

A search around the web says these people may be worth a try for spare parts,,,
It was an old link I found so Good luck..
http://www.caravan-dealers-supplies.co.uk/scs-components-ltd

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thanks for your replies guys.

Hopefully my tooth sucking TV fellow can get the result I need, here's hoping!

Tonka that link you've given is the same people that other folk with same camera system faults suggested trying - unfortunately that was from old posts from around the bazaars...I tried phoning their number but it's not recognised. I'm guessing they're shut down. I'll trying mailing them, but thank you for the link.

tonyidle - good thought on the scart cable. It'll be worth a go if the repair doesn't work...IIRC scart cable is considerably thicker than this cable - will I even get it connected to a mini-din plug; it's not the larger full fat din plug?

David

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

I didn't read the thread properly I want the camera diagram for a 2013 autotrail

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I didn't read the thread properly I want the camera diagram for a 2013 autotrail

AH... Well as that's current try Sargent direct they should have that.. (y)
In theory it should just be a camera with 12v feed and a video output back to the head end unit, a lot simpler than the Obserview we are talking about.,.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Having watched the motorhome tv channel last night and listening to @dave newell lvs i now feel able to advise everyone on reversing cameras and the practicalities.

Ask away:D

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Having watched the motorhome tv channel last night and listening to @dave newell lvs i now feel able to advise everyone on reversing cameras and the practicalities.

Ask away:D

Come on then! If I can't get mine working what's the recommendation for a replacement system?:)

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back