Spare parts to carry (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Leading on from the fuel filter thread, it strikes me that there are some parts on the Ducato that are prone to failure. The fuel filter being one, if that had gone whilst we were on holiday, it could have been an utter nightmare. Luckily, I now have a spare (or will have after the weekend) along with the tools to replace it.

This got me thinking, there must be other things that can ruin a holiday, but if one had a spare, it would be a simple job. I however can't think of any other parts right now. Can anyone else think of common failing parts?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
could you have repaired it whilst on holiday. I don't carry many tools on the van while i'm away.

joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Batteries and an inflatable repair kit,for a......... BED!! LOL.
Tea Bag

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
A spare set of keys, particularly an ignition key hidden somewhere inside.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nothing apart from a few random bits I've collected like an odd window stay and the awning leg one of the dogs bent but I kept as an emergency spare.. No tools either.

I don't have the skills or the inclination to start messing with the engine so there's not much point in carrying the extra weight.

If anything went wrong with the hab side I'd either live with it or find somewhere wherever I happened to be to get it sorted

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Muddibootz beat me to it, but in consideration of payload it makes much more sense to take Gin, therefore no need for the extra weight of a cork screw or bottle opener. When the water pump goes, you won't give a crap.
Do you drink the gin neat I like it with tonic so more weight but never mind I carry both

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Ordinarily I am with you on the tonic front, but we ran out of tonic in the middle of nowhere on North Uist so resorted to neat with ice...Courann from the Cairngorms mmmmmmmmmm yummy.:dance2:

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Fuses, Bulbs, Spare gas regulator. That's it apart from the usual gaffer tape, cable ties (the one item you should never be without!), a few bits of wire and scotchlocks and a basic tool kit. Anything more advanced than that when I'm away and it's call the breakdown recovery out for the van side, or buy the relevant bit from a dealer for the habitation side.

Although it would be a right pain you could workaround no water pump for a day or two until you could either get one from a dealer or get one overnighted to a campsite.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
As for gin Hendricks wins hands down, JMTW. Tools wise I carry a ratchet screw diver, 1/4 mini socket set and my auto logic unit. I save weight by only buying screw top wines, no need for a cork screw, tinnies of beer no bottle opener required. Sitting here in the rain at Gowerton CC site near Swansea working our way through a bottle of Hendricks gin, ran out of cucumber and tonic but did find some lemonade, disaster averted.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
I must admit, having grown up with old 1970s austins and Fords that always required constant attention just to keep them on the road, I still carry my old tool roll in the van "just in case". As recommended earlier, it contains bulbs, tape, cable ties, bits of wire and connectors and I think it probably still has a spare set of spark plugs and the essential feeler gauges. I'm not quite sure how useful any of this would be with a modern Diesel engine but you never know :)

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Water pump is €70+ so wouldn't carry one
However, let's put it in perspective. I've read horror stories of people being charged £400 to replace the fuel filter, I got mine for £80 off ebay. When you've broken down in foreign climbs with a language barrier you are at the mercy of the bastards! Admittedly my fuel filter housing is currently sitting on the passenger seat, rather than the more traditional location, but that will all change on Sunday :D

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As for gin Hendricks wins hands down, JMTW. Tools wise I carry a ratchet screw diver, 1/4 mini socket set and my auto logic unit. I save weight by only buying screw top wines, no need for a cork screw, tinnies of beer no bottle opener required. Sitting here in the rain at Gowerton CC site near Swansea working our way through a bottle of Hendricks gin, ran out of cucumber and tonic but did find some lemonade, disaster averted.
Personally I prefer Bombay Sapphire, I will have to put some photos up of my somewhat unnecessary load of tools that I carry in the van :D I believe I could replace every part on the van given time. It does include a vice and a torque wrench! :D

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Personally I prefer Bombay Sapphire, I will have to put some photos up of my somewhat unnecessary load of tools that I carry in the van :D I believe I could replace every part on the van given time. It does include a vice and a torque wrench! :D
Hmm.. Maybe I should get a vice .... :)

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi.
Batteries and an inflatable repair kit,for a......... BED!! LOL.
Tea Bag
Relatively sure none of his customers would read this, so here goes. My BIL is a spark, and on a recent job happened upon the motherload of batteries, thus in our van we have roughly 50 of each battery type, AA, AAA and 9v :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back