erg valve, where is it located? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I keep getting an intermittant engine management light come on and when I check it is always an " excess exhaust gas" message that comes up on my code reader.
So I thought it's about time I had a look at the erg valve and give it a good clean and probably slip in a blanking plate, either a solid one or the one with a small diameter hole in the centre.
The problem is I've no idea where the valve is located.
Any help locating it would be greatly appreciated
My engine is the 2.2 Citroen.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As its purpose is exhaust gas recirculation the only place where it can take exhaust gas from is the exhaust manifold so I would look there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I keep getting an intermittant engine management light come on and when I check it is always an " excess exhaust gas" message that comes up on my code reader.
So I thought it's about time I had a look at the erg valve and give it a good clean and probably slip in a blanking plate, either a solid one or the one with a small diameter hole in the centre.

Please do not insert a blanking plate with a hole in it - doing so completely defeats the point of blanking the E.G.R.V.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Your engine is in fact the excellent Ford Puma engine, the E.G.R.V. is either located at the rear, slightly off centre to the left, or at the front, slightly off centre to the left, depending on year of manufacture, if at the front you'll see a longish pipe connecting the E.G.R.V. to the exhaust outlet at the back of the engine.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Please do not insert a blanking plate with a hole in it - doing so completely defeats the point of blanking the E.G.R.V.
Okay, thanks.
In an advert I found on flea-bay, the seller sells both types and I think he said that using the solid one would mean that the engine management light would stay on all the time but using the one with a small hole in the centre would allow a small amount of gas through and thereby keeping the light off.
Having said that I may have got it completely wrong

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Okay, thanks.
In an advert I found on flea-bay, the seller sells both types and I think he said that using the solid one would mean that the engine management light would stay on all the time but using the one with a small hole in the centre would allow a small amount of gas through and thereby keeping the light off.
Having said that I may have got it completely wrong

Blanking plates with holes in continue to allow spent, inert, exhaust gases into the inlet manifold which will eventually completely clog it up with oily carbonised gunk, leading to premature engine demise.

Simply buy an OBD reader & reset the E.M.L. periodically, if indeed it does illuminate as a result of blanking the E.G.R.V.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Your engine is in fact the excellent Ford Puma engine, the E.G.R.V. is either located at the rear, slightly off centre to the left, or at the front, slightly off centre to the left, depending on year of manufacture, if at the front you'll see a longish pipe connecting the E.G.R.V. to the exhaust outlet at the back of the engine.
Many thanks
The van is an early 2008 so probably a 2007 engine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back