The NEW Spanish Speed cameras! (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Blimey. Big brother is alive and well then.

I'm glad that Spain is now sufficiently rich to invest in these expensive gadgets...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a biker and someone who was up until quite recently involved in collecting bits of bike ( and on occasion body parts ) after a bike / car interface incident, I am REALLY anti fone users..
Yes, a lot of such incidents were down to rider or driver error, but a shockingly large percentage seemed to be as a direct result of a car driver using his or her fone and loosing concentration..
Nowadays bikes are far fewer in numbers than cars, so how many car / car incidents are caused by fone use every single day must be a shocking figure

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As I posted on another thread, these cameras will only be triggered in the same way a regular speed camera does.....by speeding.

It CANNOT be triggered by having your hand near your ear and cannot differentiate between a seatbelt and a patterned shirt.

The new camera doesn't take a single shot when triggered in the way regular cameras do....it takes shorts at 50 frames per second and very high quality.
When it is scrutinised to accertain the reg no etc the picture is clear enough to see the driver pick his nose and which nostril is being picked.
IT STILL NEEDS A PERSON TO LOOK AT IT ! and to snap every car AND scrutinised it would far outweigh the revenue in man hours.

Of course, if you aren't speeding you won't get snapped so hang your arm out the window, wear your flip flops, don't wear your glasses and let rover sit on the dashboard with little Johnie......the camera won't get you.

Again....it's nothing more than a high clarity camera which still needs triggering by speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
As I posted on another thread, these cameras will only be triggered in the same way a regular speed camera does.....by speeding.

It CANNOT be triggered by having your hand near your ear and cannot differentiate between a seatbelt and a patterned shirt.

The new camera doesn't take a single shot when triggered in the way regular cameras do....it takes shorts at 50 frames per second and very high quality.
When it is scrutinised to accertain the reg no etc the picture is clear enough to see the driver pick his nose and which nostril is being picked.
IT STILL NEEDS A PERSON TO LOOK AT IT ! and to snap every car AND scrutinised it would far outweigh the revenue in man hours.

Of course, if you aren't speeding you won't get snapped so hang your arm out the window, wear your flip flops, don't wear your glasses and let rover sit on the dashboard with little Johnie......the camera won't get you.

Again....it's nothing more than a high clarity camera which still needs triggering by speed.

Well they must do summat more than the "Ordinary" Cameras I would have thought.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes they do.....they take high definition photos which still need scrutinizing by a person to see if any additional offences are being committed.
What's to say you were simply scratching your face ?
Through glass in a moving vehicle with a regular camera that COULD look like you were using a mobile phone but there would be no solid evidence.....not that that would bother spanish police.
The new high definition camera would show what was happening in fine detail....but only after it was triggered by speeding.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
IT STILL NEEDS A PERSON TO LOOK AT IT.

Don't be too sure John. I was reading the instructions ( yeh, bored ) of my old Fuji camera at the week end. It can recognise a face if I name it will store it.

I think with today's software the frames could analised and presented to a human with 95% certainty of an infringement for phone or seatbelt. OK, it might miss a lot more than a human but it will still have rich pickings and put the fear of death into the Spanish drivers.

A phone offence, they have the number plate, so surely they can look up the possible driver, his/her phone number and see if a call was in progress. Many new cars, esp in America, they could even ask the car's computer who was wearing seatbelts, in theory at least.

Hi Big Brother, you are late.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
In Australia a driver was successfully prosecuted for scratching his ear whilst driving. I guess living upside down can make you a bit crazy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Nothing new in the long term anyway.
The UK have been using a similar system albeit handheld for a while now.
The earliest reference I can find is 2012.

Scroll to the bottom of the spec.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Don't be too sure John. I was reading the instructions ( yeh, bored ) of my old Fuji camera at the week end. It can recognise a face if I name it will store it.

I think with today's software the frames could analised and presented to a human with 95% certainty of an infringement for phone or seatbelt. OK, it might miss a lot more than a human but it will still have rich pickings and put the fear of death into the Spanish drivers.

A phone offence, they have the number plate, so surely they can look up the possible driver, his/her phone number and see if a call was in progress. Many new cars, esp in America, they could even ask the car's computer who was wearing seatbelts, in theory at least.

Hi Big Brother, you are late.

Unfortunately my car is made by VW :(. The good news is that the computer is set to lie convincingly under interrogation conditions. :LOL:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree that distractions can cause accidents and often wonder on what basis the large illuminated, and sometimes animated, signs are allowed to be displayed alongside motorways (like the busiest part of the M6).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Happened about 3 years ago - he was picking his ear.

Often with these reports the sensationalist headline fails to match the full story, maybe he was picking his ear but when stopped instead of being polite laid into the cop for stopping him for such a trivial thing. Maybe he was clearly not in control, weaving all over the place ?

Who knows.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Good,,,BUSBY,,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun