Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I'm after some advise please!!

Having lost our dog 2 months ago after 14 years the house seems a little empty! And the van! Although we both don't miss having to walk the dog late at night or even in the middle of the night!

So we have started looking for a new pet! But as we work and on some days can be out the house for 10 hours we feel we can't really get a dog.

So how about a cat?
As we have the van we would ideally like a predominately house cat who wouldn't mind travelling in the van with us! I have read threads of those that take them but how do we make it work for us?

We have seen a 1 year cat at the rescue centre who looks lovely. But will she travel well and be happy in our home 3 days a week whilst we both are at work?? Could we leave her and her be happy alone for a couple of days??

Thanks

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We made the decision after our cats died not to get another. we knew we were getting a motorhome and just felt it was the right thing to do. My own cat had loved my romahome, but the other did not like traveling at all. Sorting out passports and vets visits would also remove some of the spontaneity of our trips abroad.
On the other hand, we have met quite few people who take their cats, ours stayed on their own for a few days, with a neighbour coming to feed them, and mine coped ok with my shift work and being left on her own for varying periods.
Just feel I have spent so long thinking of children, cats, dogs, parrot, budgie, work and other people that now is the time to put ourselves first.
Well when the childminding and dog sitting allows us.
You ight like to look at older cats who have done all their roaming and want a secure loving home.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did you see our member who travelled with 4 rats. Very easy to live with and they had at least one on a lead at the meet. He told me it was an honour if they peed on you, they like you but sadly I was no honoured. They ran free in the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have seen quite a few people travelling around France with cats, and a few weeks ago saw someone walking a rabbit on a lead! If you got a rabbit, I guess there would be no need for a pet passport as it isn't a Dog, cat, ferret or horse.....
We have 2 dogs that travel with us everywhere. I have had dogs all my life, but, when these two go, we aren't getting any more.
Much as we love them, they are something we have to always consider when going anywhere and can sometimes restrict what we want to do .
But, it's a matter for yourselves. I am not too keen on cats and have an allergy to most, but introducing a new animal into a home to be left alone for hours at a time, isn't something I would consider.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Did you see our member who travelled with 4 rats. Very easy to live with and they had at least one on a lead at the meet. He told me it was an honour if they peed on you, they like you but sadly I was no honoured. They ran free in the van.
Vaguely worrying having a free-roaming animal that doesn't have a bladder. I like rats but continual dribbling has to be considered.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have seen quite a few people travelling around France with cats, and a few weeks ago saw someone walking a rabbit on a lead! If you got a rabbit, I guess there would be no need for a pet passport as it isn't a Dog, cat, ferret or horse.....
We have 2 dogs that travel with us everywhere. I have had dogs all my life, but, when these two go, we aren't getting any more.
Much as we love them, they are something we have to always consider when going anywhere and can sometimes restrict what we want to do .
But, it's a matter for yourselves. I am not too keen on cats and have an allergy to most, but introducing a new animal into a home to be left alone for hours at a time, isn't something I would consider.
Some friends of ours made exactly the same decision. They lasted nearly 12 months without one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have a had several pets over the years as the kids grew up. One point we had 4 guinea pigs and 4 hamsters. We found getting someone to look after them became a hassle. Once we had to take a sick guinea pig on holiday with us. We are now down to Just one old guinea pig and if need be we could take her. Now my kids are older we dont want to have to think about pet sitters etc. I would love a dog but worry about leaving it. Guinea pigs are lovely gentle creatures so you could consider one of them :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back