Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Sorry cat people, but I am referring to the CAT on the new Mercedes sprinter van. When I take delivery in a few days I was pondering as to whether to remove the Merc badge from the front panel . The reason I mention this is that these sprinter models around the south Kent area are being hit heavily by the the Countryside Criminal Fraternity, they are ripping the exhaust systems off these vans, as it seem the Sprinter is particularly vulnerable in that the whole lot can be ripped off in a few minutes an it is happening with sickening regularity, the Local merc . commercial dealer had 12 taken in one go and they are in excess of £3000 to replace the whole system of each. The reason they are taken is that there is a ready market for the systems as they keep getting stolen, and the Rare metals in the actual cat is worth a little bit. I also intend to etch the number on each of the plastic windows like I did on my previous van. it make it expensive to replace all the plastic and therefore more likely to be be passed over by the same people on their sorties. does anybody else take EXTRA measures to protect their new vans?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Beware pipe cutters...... If they are physically ripping them off,they are amatures.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maybe only a minor deterrent but get underneath and engrave the reg and your post code on the cat in the largest, deepest letters you can.
Finish it off with 'this cat is stolen'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Maybe only a minor deterrent but get underneath and engrave the reg and your post code on the cat in the largest, deepest letters you can.
Finish it off with 'this cat is stolen'
Cannot do that they are VERY delicate inside and hitting them multiple time would shatter the poor things inside, they all have a fine honeycomb of metal in there. They are using wheel cutters that are meant for cutting pipework, like a mole wrench with a bike chain and cutter wheels on, clamp on and run back and for the cuts through in a few seconds, job done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was in the local Scrappy and I asked him what the value of the Cat is, he said depending on the make and model but a MB Sprinter is £200 to £300 each just for the metals in the filter. That is why the P***** nick them in as big a batch as possible but one at a time is good for a few minutes "work " under the floor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back