Another fuel filter thread! (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just got back from a weekend away, and it looks like I'm dumping diesel GRRR!
Anyway, I've had the hood up, and the leak looks like it is coming from the dreaded plastic fuel filter, I know there was a thread recently, but I can't find it now. This is what it looks like, soaked in diesel, with the engine running, it appears to be coming from the gasket at the top.
IMG_0640.JPG
Am I right in thinking that there is a metal replacement for the plastic filter housing?

Deleted User
Do a search for fuel filter and threads by techno and you should find all the information required.

My understanding is that later models are now fitted with a metal filter casing but it will not replace the plastic ones on earlier models.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No there isn't! The latest Sevel vans (Euro 5+) have a metal cannister filter but it is not retro fittable as a replacement for the UFI plastic housing job. Since I started using the proper tool (18 months or more ago) for replacing these filters I haven't had a single complaint about leaking units.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Daniel sorry to hear of your problems I think this might be the thread you are looking for
Oil leak advice Fiat 2.3 130 multijet
Best wishes Tony

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thanks all, I scoured all of @Techno threads and have now ordered a new housing, and a filter tool. I'll swap out the filter housing, and then I'll have a spare for when it happens again in the future :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks all, I scoured all of @Techno threads and have now ordered a new housing, and a filter tool. I'll swap out the filter housing, and then I'll have a spare for when it happens again in the future :D
All my threads can be found via the link in my signature (y)

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
All my threads can be found via the link in my signature (y)
A quick question, when you replace the housing, do you prime it full of diesel? I was intending to bleed the old unit and put that into the new one. Is that the common practice?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A quick question, when you replace the housing, do you prime it full of diesel? I was intending to bleed the old unit and put that into the new one. Is that the common practice?
No it is self priming. Turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds, the pump will fill it.
At worst 2 x 5 second bursts on the starter will have it running.

EDIT check for leaks with the ignition on before starting

?

Deleted User

I did with my van but ended up with a puggled thumb pressing the bloody pump that many times. Ill have a can of diesel next time and fill it first. Would your filter mot live longer if you rubber mount it?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So Fiat slightly redeem themselves, shocking design flaw, but easy replacement! :D
It's not a Fiat design, it is made by UFI and also fitted to PUG Citroen and many other manufacturers. Why Fiat get all the blame is beyond me.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It's not a Fiat design, it is made by UFI and also fitted to PUG Citroen and many other manufacturers. Why Fiat get all the blame is beyond me.
Because they're Italian, and it's nice to blame the Italians for everything! :whistle:

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I did with my van but ended up with a puggled thumb pressing the bloody pump that many times. Ill have a can of diesel next time and fill it first. Would your filter mot live longer if you rubber mount it?
The mounting looks like it has a reasonable amount of elasticity in it, not sure that rubber mounts would add much bounce to be honest.

?

Deleted User
The mounting looks like it has a reasonable amount of elasticity in it, not sure that rubber mounts would add much bounce to be honest.

Apparently its also a weak spot on my Peugeot Expert but i have never had a problem. Having read that thought got me wondering. Can you not get a metal one from another van and swap as surly its just fuel in one end and out the other. If your filter holds say 1.5lt of Diesel is this capacity important to the running of the engine or could one slightly smaller/larger work just as well.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Apparently its also a weak spot on my Peugeot Expert but i have never had a problem. Having read that thought got me wondering. Can you not get a metal one from another van and swap as surly its just fuel in one end and out the other. If your filter holds say 1.5lt of Diesel is this capacity important to the running of the engine or could one slightly smaller/larger work just as well.
I'm guessing that all of the electrical connections feed in to the ECU, so need to fit like for like, got to love technology!

?

Deleted User
I'm guessing that all of the electrical connections feed in to the ECU, so need to fit like for like, got to love technology!

That is one reason i got rid of my last Fiat car. Not the fuel filter but far to many electronics. It was only a Stilo but it must have had a warning light for every part that moved or opened (Slight exaggeration :D) Sold it and thought "Never again, last Fiat" Guess what i bought, Yip another Fiat :whistle: Less electronic gubbings though.

God how i miss my simple Datsun's from the early 80's

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Just had my van serviced at Essanjay in Poole,I told them I was concerned about having the fuel filter changed, they said they do about thirty a week and have never had any trouble,I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As mentioned, if you use the proper tool it is not so much a problem.
What no one seems to have mentioned is WHY they leak..
The thread on the cap is so coarse it is really difficult to get the thing to seal properly..
Using the correct tool ( cheap as cold chips on fleabay ), and a smear of grease over all relevant parts gives you the opportunity to fully tighten the cap down

papaken

Free Member
Jan 29, 2013
newcastle upon tyne
Funster No
MH
autocruise star spirit
Exp
How often do you need to change fuel filter I have had my Peugot Autocruiser for 4year now and never changed it?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is not so much a time thing as a mileage thing..
Just checked and my old 2.8 boxer had a recommended service interval of 35,000 miles or ten years !

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Irrespective of who is to blame for it, it's pathetic really isn't that there are so many failures?

The problem blighted about 3 days of a Spanish holiday of mine a few years back:mad:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
U.F.I. = Universal Filters Italiano - made in Italy, Tunisia, China, India & Korea . . . :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back