Absolute beginner needs some help please (1 Viewer)

zx10rooster

Free Member
May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift 630L
Exp
I`m a newbie!
Just joined the forum as i know it`ll be a great source of info. I`m and absolute newbie when it comes to the world of MH`s. I`m just about to take collection of my 2010, 10k miles Swift 630L. I`ve done lots of research and looked at several layouts and have now settled on the 6 birth, U shaped lounge with a dinette. I went against a fixed bed as this takes up space. The U shaped lounge gives me more chilling space and the additional bed space when needed. We are avid Labrador owners and now we have 2 (New puppy arrives in 6wks) we`ve resigned ourselves to the fact that the foreign holidays will now be less frequent. Hence the desire for a MH and some Euro trips as well as some wild camping as often as possible.

So.................... like an inquisitive child I have plenty of questions that Id really appreciate the expert advice of you guys. Some question will deffo be silly but bare with me, Im new to this

1. my 630L has a small exterior round fitting with 2 connections, these are rubberized. The connector is about the size fo a 10p. Its next to the water fill point. What is this???!! An air release? Some sort fo electrical connection?

2. on the control panel (same as this onehttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDjLRvlqw...s1600/%5BFEA%5D-Control-Panel-%5BSWIFT%5D.jpg)

when you turn it on, all the LEDs illuminate. There is a mains green LED in the top left corner. I understand that this is for when yo are hooked up. When I have viewed the MH it is on hook up but the leisure battery is illuminated? Is this normal? I`m guessing that the plug sockets and electric hob shouldn't work if connected on the leisure battery? That fact that they d, does that tell me that it is working on the mains hook up? The dealer says it is working on mains and that the "charger" has been changed (there is now a silver box in the cupboard above the main RCD panel in the over head locker)

3. how do i know that my leisure battery is charging via the hook up? Do the plug sockets only work when on hook up?

4. How do I test the Trauma heater ( like this http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/campingimages/truma/trumaticS3002.jpg) I`d like to test it on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure battery alone? Should it produce pretty instant heat?

5. Blown air heater. How can I test this? Is it from the same heater as above?

6. Water heater. How can I test it? Test on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure batteries or just gas and hook up?

7. Gas cylinders. I have 2 x 7kg cylinders. is there a gauge i can get that shows me their levels?

8. does anyone have a checklist for what to do when you arrive, pack up, return from a trip?

I think that`ll keep you all busy for now!!!

Thanks in advance, happy motoring

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well first of all ,love ZX10's secondly :welcome4:.I will try to answer some of your questions tomorrow when less tired and emotional!!
Been a long day.Loads more help will be winging its way to you soon.
Enjoy the forum.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:hiya2::pink:Number one is an electric socket for a whale submersible pump to top up your water.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome to the forum :welcome4:
You may have more luck with your questions if you post one at a time under the relevant headings with an appropriate title. With the amount of questions you have it will mean that you will have to subscribe but you will certainly get answers so £15 is a small price to pay ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
You can buy gas level indicators here
Amazon product ASIN But I don't know how accurate they are. I used to run one bottle out, swap to the second bottle and get a refill immediately. Never ran out of gas. (y)

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
:HelloThere: and welcome the house of fun. When you get hold of you MH, make sure whoever you get it from; Dealer or Private, you ask all the same questions you have done here and make sure your handover is as comprehensive as you can, especially if it is from a dealer. They should show you everything is working and even if it is a private deal, make sure they do not rush the handover. You will get loads of help and advice on here, so fire away with your newbie questions - Like I did not so long ago, you will get all the answers you need, but you will have to sieve through the jokes and banter that will accompany your questions. Most highly recommend joining. Besides the plethora of info you will gain from the Funsters, the discounts you can get are well worth it. :winky: Well kicked the ar§e out of them me

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I will try..

Just joined the forum as i know it`ll be a great source of info. I`m and absolute newbie when it comes to the world of MH`s. I`m just about to take collection of my 2010, 10k miles Swift 630L. I`ve done lots of research and looked at several layouts and have now settled on the 6 birth, U shaped lounge with a dinette. I went against a fixed bed as this takes up space. The U shaped lounge gives me more chilling space and the additional bed space when needed. We are avid Labrador owners and now we have 2 (New puppy arrives in 6wks) we`ve resigned ourselves to the fact that the foreign holidays will now be less frequent. Hence the desire for a MH and some Euro trips as well as some wild camping as often as possible.
We just got our second pup and have opted for jersey this year. Once we have passports for them we will go back to our normal travels
[/QUOTE]
So.................... like an inquisitive child I have plenty of questions that Id really appreciate the expert advice of you guys. Some question will deffo be silly but bare with me, Im new to this

1. my 630L has a small exterior round fitting with 2 connections, these are rubberized. The connector is about the size fo a 10p. Its next to the water fill point. What is this???!! An air release? Some sort fo electrical connection?
You can connect an external pump to fill up from an aqua roll or similar of you are sited for a while (like a tugger)
2. on the control panel (same as this onehttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDjLRvlqwRk/TUB3gB7t39I/AAAAAAAAEHQ/AT4CiuDdMn8/s1600/%5BFEA%5D-Control-Panel-%5BSWIFT%5D.jpg)

when you turn it on, all the LEDs illuminate. There is a mains green LED in the top left corner. I understand that this is for when yo are hooked up. When I have viewed the MH it is on hook up but the leisure battery is illuminated? Is this normal? I`m guessing that the plug sockets and electric hob shouldn't work if connected on the leisure battery? That fact that they d, does that tell me that it is working on the mains hook up? The dealer says it is working on mains and that the "charger" has been changed (there is now a silver box in the cupboard above the main RCD panel in the over head locker)
You are right. You will have 2 circuits. 12v and 230v. The 12v runs off the battery a and the 230v runs off the hookup. The 230v includes a battery charger.
How do i know that my leisure battery is charging via the hook up? Do the plug sockets only work when on hook up?
you can use a multimeter and yes.

4. How do I test the Trauma heater ( like this http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/campingimages/truma/trumaticS3002.jpg) I`d like to test it on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure battery alone? Should it produce pretty instant heat?
It will fake a while. You need to let it heat on one then the other, cooling in between. They are usually quicker on gas but I don't know how long this model takes.
usually but I dont know the model

6. Water heater. How can I test it? Test on gas and electric. Does it work on leisure batteries or just gas and hook up?
Just gas and hook up

7. Gas cylinders. I have 2 x 7kg cylinders. is there a gauge i can get that shows me their levels?
You can get them but if you have two just make sure one is always full. They last a while usually.
8.does anyone have a checklist for what to do when you arrive, pack up, return from a trip?

I think that`ll keep you all busy for now!!!

Thanks in advance, happy motoring

Throw some clothes in, go. Pick up food on the way. Arrive. Park. Put kettle on.

Coming home is reverse procedure.

No doubt somebody typed quicker than me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi and welcome to fun.
8.......... it is a good idea to have a check list for when leaving a site as you always forget something.
Some of the things that you will want to check
1 all roof lights closed
2 all windows closed
3 tv locked in position and aerial retracted.
4 ramps in locker
5 fridge onto 12 v and catch set.
6 gas off at bottle
7 electric hookup cable stowed.
8 all internal lockers and doors on catch
9 all external lockers closed.
10 dashcam onto screen

Walk around and make sure nothing under or forgotten

This is an example of what your list might look like and each van will have different checks....hope it helps.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
8. does anyone have a checklist for what to do when you arrive, pack up, return from a trip?

Welcome @zx10rooster, I can help with number 8.

Shortly after you arrive, retrieve comfortable chair from outside locker and sit in the sun and hold your hand out for the tea/wine/beer/scotch (delete as necessary) which the wife is about to deposit in your hand.

Shortly before departure walk around the van and make sure wifey has raised the legs and put chairs away and done all that other housewife stuff that they do. Then make doubly sure that no alcohol has been left in a place where one could spill and hence waste a drop.

Get in and drive, stop a few yards before driving out onto road and instruct wife to open the greywaste just a smidgin so that you can leave a greasy trail all the way home...SORTED

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On a Swift of that age, in the habitation area you will have both round 12v sockets (like the ones in a car) which work off the leisure battery(ies) and normal 3-pin household-type mains sockets.

The fridge will probably be a 3-way fridge so when sited, it works either on mains hook-up or gas, but will work off the 12v VEHICLE battery (not the leisure one) when you are driving along. As long as it's cold enough when you start a journey, it will keep stuff in the fridge and freezer fine until you get where you're going. Plug it into the mains at home overnight before you go in the morning. You are better off to begin with by filling it at the last minute and making sure there's plenty in it, which all helps keep everything else cold, esp if it's a long journey.

You'll get the hang of it all pretty quickly, in use.

Take your mobile phone with you and video the handover so you have that to hand, to begin with.

Many people spend their first night in their new moho on their own drive, and their first trip 'away' not too far from home. Not us - we went instantly to France a couple of days after we got our hands on it, in ours! - but we'd both camped and caravanned for years and years - separately and then together, before we got the first van!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What a splendid choice of MH you have made, we have a 2011, so here goes:
It is for a 12v submersible pump, so that you can go and fetch water, and then pump it into the van.

2. on the control panel (same as this onehttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mDjLRvlqw...s1600/%5BFEA%5D-Control-Panel-%5BSWIFT%5D.jpg)

Yes, the green mains light means that you are hooked up, and charging whichever battery is selected. If you press the vehicle battery gauge in the centre, it will change to charging the vehicle battery. You are correct regarding sockets and hob, unless there is an inverter fitted.
The lights on the 'silver box in the cupboard are actually switches. When the charge is on, it lights up green, press it, and it goes off. Same for space heater and water heater lights. The only one that should be off is the reverse polarity light (which isn't a switch).

3. how do i know that my leisure battery is charging via the hook up? Do the plug sockets only work when on hook up?
Green light on silver panel in cupboard, and on panel above door, green electricity light is on, and light next to the battery that is receiving charge. Sockets will only work on hookup without an inverter.

It works on gas, not 12v, the 12v is for the blowers. On gas, the heat is damn near to instant.

To test, gas, rotate left control to about 3, and press it down until the clicking stops. There is a switch under the right dial, switch it to the left and turn the dial to 5, that starts the blowers. Feel for heat.
To test electricity, under the TV mount, rotate the right hand dial outer ring to 1000, and then the inner dial to 9. Heat takes a while to come through.

Only works on gas or hookup. Testing gas, on the left hand dial under the TV mount, rotate the outer ring to 'on' and the inner dial to about 60. Make sure the flue guard has been removed from outside, otherwise you will get an error. Hot water takes about 10 mins to come through.
Testing electric, on silver panel in cupboard, make sure red 'Water Heater' light is on, that's it.

Yes but they about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard!

Van is packed and ready to go at all times, we have a full set of glassware, crockery condiments etc. that live in the van.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I`m just about to take collection of my 2010, 10k miles Swift 630L.

before signing for it, take a damp meter and go all over it .. especially around the window frames, along the floor/wall joint and and every corner and joint..

if unsure what to do ask a friend or someone who knows what to look for..

edit

maybe too late.. you have probably picked it up by now

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We are avid Labrador owners and now we have 2 (New puppy arrives in 6wks) we`ve resigned ourselves to the fact that the foreign holidays will now be less frequent. Hence the desire for a MH and some Euro trips as well as some wild camping as often as possible.
I missed this bit! Why not take the pooches with you in the van when you go abroad? Mind you you'll need a good hoover with two Labs! (y)

We take our Bernese Mountain Dog in ours, here she is in her favourite spot:
Rosie.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Z

zx10rooster

Free Member
May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift 630L
Exp
I`m a newbie!
What a splendid choice of MH you have made, we have a 2011, so here goes:

Yes, the green mains light means that you are hooked up, and charging whichever battery is selected. If you press the vehicle battery gauge in the centre, it will change to charging the vehicle battery. You are correct regarding sockets and hob, unless there is an inverter fitted.
The lights on the 'silver box in the cupboard are actually switches. When the charge is on, it lights up green, press it, and it goes off. Same for space heater and water heater lights. The only one that should be off is the reverse polarity light (which isn't a switch).

Ah ha!

Now. ....... the mains hook up light doesn't light up. The dealer is saying that this is as the charger was replaced (theres a silver rectangular box above power box) with a non OEM charger. Is it possible that this non OEM part would cause the mains LED not to light up?

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ah ha!

Now. ....... the mains hook up light doesn't light up. The dealer is saying that this is as the charger was replaced (theres a silver rectangular box above power box) with a non OEM charger. Is it possible that this non OEM part would cause the mains LED not to light up?
I am deeply suspicious of this, I will take a quick video and post it here for you, so you can see how the stuff is supposed to work. However, we do have a resident Sargent expert (that's the control thin in the cupboard) on here, largely due to the amount of times he has had trouble with it, so over to you @Jaws does this sound fishy to you?

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very much so.. There are a few variations on the Sargent control panel..
I have to shoot out right now but will read whole thread a little later and see whats what

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. I saw the picture of the control panel and it relies on a signal from the main unit to activate the EHU indicator
As the primary charger has failed and a replacement has been fitted, there will be no signal, so no light.

Things to double check on are:
Does the fridge work on mains?
Do the sockets work on mains ?
Do any mains driven lights that are fitted work ?

Do you have a multi meter ?
If not worth spending a few beer tokens at Halfords or similar to get a cheapy one as they are invaluable when it come to motor homes !
Do not worry if you are unsure how to use one.. They are REALLY simple and I can talk you through using one in moments on the fone .. Happy to ring you or you can ring me ( fone number exchanged by private meesage rather than on open forum .. I do not mind mine being on here but most folks do not like to display their own ! )

What is the meter for ?
To check the battery voltage on and off hook up thereby making sure the charger is actually working..
DO NOT RELY ON THE VOLTAGE READINGS ON THE PANEL
They are often far from accurate !

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Cheers @Jaws I knew you were the man to tag, since he essentially has the same van as me, I will go ahead and post up what the van should do in a "short but informative film" on Friday, which is the next time I am at the van.
I have to say I am concerned about the after market charger, sounds very iffy to me. But that could just be me being suspicious.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have seen it a few times over the years, though must admit not on a van as late as 2010.
Why folk do it is a mystery as Sargent do an excellent turn around service at a reasonable cost

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back