Toilet Cassette (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Ok, sorry to lower the tone, but have a few very basic questions.
We pick our first MH up in a couple of weeks, which has a Therford cassette/ toilet in it. We have never camped before or ever used this type of facility. So, here goes with a few questions which we would be very grateful for some guidance:-
1. Is it a case of keep taking it out to see if it's full? Or generally are there a rough number of flushes that can be made before it's nearing capacity.
2.what do you put in the cassette in terms of chemical/tablets etc, and what do people recommend?
3. As we intend to do some wild camping, is it advisable to carry a spare cassette, that we can swap over if the first one gets full, and then carry the full one in the garage until we reach the next disposal point?
4. Is it correct that you don't empty down an ordinary toilet? But what about emptying down our own toilet once we get home?
5 any other advise/tips gratefully accepted.
Many thanks.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
1. Depends on your system, some have a 1/2 full, 3/4 full and full indicator on the flush panel. Mine is only Full, but you still have a few "goes" before it is full
2. I only use proprietary fluid from thetford - I am a salesman’s dream though. Many use bio washing fluid and some nothing at all relying on bacteria to break down solids.
3. Many do, depends on far you are away from any disposal facility. #Use flush sparingly and use "Pink" in a spray bottle after a No 1
4. Dispose down your own loo at home is fine, but be careful. Campsites have a Chemical Disposal point, so use that or carefully in Public loos
5. If a public toilet or campsite toilet available, use it, especially for No 2

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
A couple of thoughts, don't wait until the toilet is full, empty it each day if possible
If you have to use it for other than a wee open the blade wide put a cross cross of toilet paper then when finished give a good flush, can save a lot of mess.
A lot of people use bio Washing Liquid, (clothes washing) instead of chemicals Aldi or Llidl will do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Once the cassette level starts 'getting up' you can easily see the level when you open the flap on the bottom of the loo bowl - which you have to open to let the contents of the pan into the cassette anyway, and I can't reach the lever on the side of the pan whilst standing with my back towards the loo anyway - so it's kind of unavoidable, the looking LOL. We usually open the flap before doing the deed in any event - and no - we don't get 'splash back' LOL

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Pretty much what @Zigisla said

1. We just have a light that comes on when full. If it comes on in the late evening it's still OK to use until the morning.
2. We just use Thetford or Elsan liquid. Never tried any of the other things people recommend.
3. We don't bother, just empty it at every opportunity whether it's full or not.
4. The reason sites especially don't like you doing that is because a lot of the time they have septic tanks instead of mains sewage. It's the chemical, Thetford or otherwise, that's the problem; it destroys the essential bacteria in the septic tank. Down your own toilet, or any other one that you know is on mains sewage, is fine.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Answers 1,4 and 5 as @Zigisla

I use bio liquid as the propriety fluid makes me :sicker::sicker: with the smell. The bio liquid does at least smell nice. I have found that solids have broken down when I empty the cassette and it's not an unpleasant job.

Use minimum amounts of toilet paper :) some people bin it rather than flush it. Don't put the wet wipes down into the cassette.

I use Zoflora in a spray bottle (diluted) to wash down the loo after use. Use less water and again smells nice.

Empty the cassette in the appropriate place (CDP) when you have chance even if it isn't full. :) If you do have to use a public loo to empty it then make sure the facilities are at least as clean when you leave as when you went in. I take gloves and my Zoflora spray plus tissue and paper towels. Paper towels (Kitchen roll) in the bin not down the loo :)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh and we are on septic tank at home so if it would normally go down the loo at home it will be okay in the cassette!

Edit: Ages since we have had a good mucky thread on here :)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A couple of thoughts, don't wait until the toilet is full, empty it each day if possible
If you have to use it for other than a wee open the blade wide put a cross cross of toilet paper then when finished give a good flush, can save a lot of mess.
A lot of people use bio Washing Liquid, (clothes washing) instead of chemicals Aldi or Llidl will do.
We do the same, except for the cross of paper. We tried that but found it tended to make a parcel which took longer to break down :)
We don't like the smell of the proprietary chemicals either and find that the bio washing liquid does the job just as well.
We use own brand (normally Lidl) paper rather than the expensive Thetford stuff.
Always empty at the designated place on the camp site.
Some more notes Here.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
When travelling the MH is used for number ones only! Except in extreme emergencies ! And as @Carol says make a cross with loo roll ( we make a petal ) as this saves a lot of mess!
Also we use French loo roll which is small and thin and doesn't clog up the cassette if used sparingly.
We use thetfords capsules rather than fluid as it can stain so never fill it from the bowl. Aldi bio tabs do the trick and leave it lovely and clean and are cheap!!

I feel much better ,all that talk of toilets need to go!!:LOL:
Oh yes it used to be Robs job but somehow I've ended up doing it as I bought strong rubber gloves that don't fit him!! ( it seems to be a man thing as they chinwag round the CTD!!
Good luck it does get easier! Watch others but NEVER use the drinking tap to rinse it !!!! Ugh!:mad:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hear hear to the Lidl Bio washing detergent (which we use) and to the toilet paper - mega super duper (and expensive!) 26-ply down soft quilted paper may well be a tad softer round ones nether regions, but takes one helluva long time to disintegrate in the cassette and presumably thereafter, also in the septic tank you empty it into.

Our cassette has wheels and a 'pull up' handle to trundle it along behind you from van to disposal point - nothing recognisable is ever left in the thing by the time you arrive there and start emptying - a definite 'bonus' to my mind! Just evil looking (even when not ditto smelling) sludge, TMI.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all for the replies. scotjimlad's short video was very helpful.

Note to self, must buy a pair of rubber gloves that are to small for myself!!

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We also when wilding use a spay bottle filled with H20 instead of flushing also make the fresh water tank last longer, also stock up on French loo rolls.
We have a SOG (toilet venting system) and don't use any chemicals and empty at every opportunity & carry a spare cassette.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks all for the replies. scotjimlad's short video was very helpful.

Note to self, must buy a pair of rubber gloves that are to small for myself!!
Easier to wash your hands afterwards than mess about with gloves, bet you don't use them every time you wipe your bum, it's only your poo in the loo.:D

Edit: just noticed the joke.:)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Easier to wash your hands afterwards than mess about with gloves

Seriously..... I see them with gloves and sometimes rubber apron and I think to myself, "OK where do you store that lot and do you decontaminate them before storage or contaminate the inside of your MH with them".

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
image.jpeg

Check out this CDP.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Easier to wash your hands afterwards than mess about with gloves, bet you don't use them every time you wipe your bum, it's only your poo in the loo.:D

Edit: just noticed the joke.:)
Seriously..... I see them with gloves and sometimes rubber apron and I think to myself, "OK where do you store that lot and do you decontaminate them before storage or contaminate the inside of your MH with them".
A couple of years ago I bought some thick rubber gloves in case of having to empty the cassette anywhere particularly insanitary. A week ago I took them out of the van and put them in the garage having never worn them. They'll be better used for protection against thorny plants :D

Upvote 0

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Nothing wrong with using the proper chemicals - at the right dosage - and if you empty the cassette into a CDP even if connect to other than a mains sewer the amount of dilution should ensure that no harm is done to any active bacteria. Remember, CDP stands for CHEMICAL disposal point!

Dave

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I use Zoflora in a spray bottle (diluted) to wash down the loo after use. Use less water and again smells nice.

Haven't read all the thread so this may have been mentioned already. Zoflora is an anti bacterial spray which, even in small amounts, will negate the bacterial action in the tank that you need to breakdown the solids.

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Our cassette had developed a small leak from the seal when carrying it upright to the CDP so I watched a couple of YouTube video's on servicing the seal and took ours apart to do this. I noticed that the seal had developed a covering of flaky black material so I washed it using Fairy Liquid and it came clean as a whistle. I checked the inside of the cassette and that too was covered in the same black flaky stuff so I made up a solution of Fairy Liquid and warm water and filled the cassette up and left it overnight. I poured it out the next day and all the black had gone!
We have a dedicated tank for flushing and I now use Fairy Liquid at a solution about double the strength we use for washing dishes in this tank. When emptying the cassette I rinse out but put it into the van empty and flush for about two seconds. Ready to go! No trace of any solids when emptying!

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Nigel L
If on a site, on arrival, it's always a good idea to ask where these facilities are. Normally, the site warden or manager will point out where things like the CDP (Chemical disposal point and sometimes called an Elsan point), drinking water tap, refuse area etc are located.

If you then become a 'curtain twitcher' you can watch the antics of others who will use a myriad of disposal ways. They have contraptions that deny belief; special bags to 'hide' the cassette, trolleys with bungee cords, trolleys with more bottles of jollop than a Betterware salesman!

• There is the 'Ibola Operator'. He is the type that gowns-up, dons gloves and plastic cape reminiscent of working in an plagued African township.
  • There is the 'Shy' merchant who sneaks out at 5.30am, hoping that no one will notice that he actually has bowel or bladder movements. He walks head down, just hoping that he doesn't meet any fellow campers.
  • Then there is the 'Seasoned campaigner'. You can hear him coming for miles. He's normally whistling and swings his cassette as he walks. If he has a trolley, he picks the noisiest route to the CDP and bangs the cassette over the speed humps without a care.
  • Finally, there's 'A-Class Man'. He may not actually have an A-Class van, but his cassette will be pristine! It will have wheels and an extendable luggage-type carry handle. However, he will carry it because he won't want to sully the wheels on the paths. Effluent poured from it will have no odour and will be colourless!

Seriously, best tips are NOT to balance the cassette cap on the edge of the CDP. Put it well out if the way, or you'll lose it!
Don't forget the depress the large button on the end of the cassette when pouring.

AND...... DON'T FORGET TO WARN OTHERS IN THE VAN NOT TO USE THE TOILET WHEN THE CASSETTE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY REMOVED FOR EMPTYING!!!!

Upvote 0

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Took our new van away for the first time this weekend and I can honestly say it was not a job I was looking forward to, probably due to past experiences emptying Tristar toilets !
Don't know what I was even slightly concerned about no need to tuck my nose into my T-shirt or anything like that and the 2nd empty didn't even pass a thought.

As I was testing out capacities, etc I was letting water run out, flush run out, grey water get full to understand what I can do with the van, I emptied the toilet before the warning light came on so still need to test that.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back