May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Hi
Do you generally use anything to secure your awning? I cannot recall seeing anything on people's awnings when we have been away in France but OH thinks we may need tension straps. I was presuming we would just roll it away if it was windy or stormy. We didn't need it when away at Easter in Scotland! But rather hoping we will need some shade when in France and Germany in July and August. Any advice much appreciated.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have used the Peggy Peg system of securing the foot of the awning legs. I have the tie down kit as well, but haven't found the need for this yet. When it becomes too windy, i.e. material is "flappin like a goodun", like most, I roll the awning away.;)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Been thinking about this myself and had a look see on here for thoughts from the assembled masses, eh, experts. Consensus seems to be good idea.
Decided I would seriously think about some tie down straps and started looking at the options \ prices.
Wandering around Aldi today (as you do when other half says stop shoving the trolley so fast, bu**** off and give me peace!) came across a set of four two part ratchet straps with "S" hooks at opposite ends and thought well they might be worth a wee punt given the 60 day money back refund. £9.99 not a lot to splash out to investigate even if I do forget to take them back.
Just need to move the motorhome now so I can get the awning out and see if they will do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I use some simple pegs to secure it during the day from a stray gust of wind.
Always roll it in at night now after having to get out of bed at 3 am when the wind got up and the whole lot was flapping like mad, even though it was well tied down with straps.

Richard.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I use some simple pegs to secure it during the day from a stray gust of wind.
Always roll it in at night now after having to get out of bed at 3 am when the wind got up and the whole lot was flapping like mad, even though it was well tied down with straps.

Richard.
Yes .... been there and it wasn't just the awning that was flapping in the breeze.:wink:

Deffinitely use tie-down straps and peg the feet ... otherwise it doesn't take much of a gust to take the whole thing up over the motorhome with all the damage it does.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
One night in France I didn't fix the awning down - in a thunderstorm it lifted and came down breaking the arm - leg hinge. Another French guy on the site also had damage -next morning he took me in his car to a local camping car dealer, who had massive stocks of parts - they had the part ( he had to order his) drove back and I had it fixed it five minutes! So now never leave it unattended with out my tie down kit

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use peggy pegs too on the legs but also a tie down kit that we string some lights on..
Hate that flapping noise so if it starts it's rolled away. Tend to use the inflatable awning now if somewhere for more than a couple of days.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I find awnings a bit like the hokey cokey - you know "in out, in out, shake it all about" and one of the first rules of winding out an awning on a windless day is that the wind will get up and it will start flapping all over the place! I've also found the awning to be far more useful in rain than sun, as the shade given is never where you want it! I always let one awning leg be shorter than the other to allow rain to run off, a crashing awning at 0300 is a soggy thing to put right in pyjamas!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The tie down kit we have, from Lily Pad Leisure, fits into the groove in the Fiamma awning with a tadpole section bit of webbing. I sometimes secure the bottom of the legs as well but the tie down is much better as it secures the whole awning. I wouldn't suggest just tying straps to the top of the legs on a Fiamma as the legs just attach to a plastic bit which is secured by a single bolt, and they can slide out quite easily.

Here it is in use. It was very windy as I recall at this Spanish site at Cabo de Gata which is why it is only wound out a little way and the legs clicked in the fittings on the van.

IMG_20150511_46152.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I notice that @DBK has fixed the legs of his awning to the side of his van. I am thinking of doing this on my A class, but was a bit put off when the dealer I bought the van from suggested that the legs could jump out of the attachment and scratch the van. Is this a secure way of doing this and if so do Thule sell the necessary attchments please?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I notice that @DBK has fixed the legs of his awning to the side of his van. I am thinking of doing this on my A class, but was a bit put off when the dealer I bought the van from suggested that the legs could jump out of the attachment and scratch the van. Is this a secure way of doing this and if so do Thule sell the necessary attchments please?
The catches or whatever they are called lock the bottom of the legs so they can't jump out.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We keep our awning out all the time at shows as we trade from it, we use our own product to keep it safe.
We do these straps,
And these leg plates,

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I notice that @DBK has fixed the legs of his awning to the side of his van. I am thinking of doing this on my A class,

you have probably checked already Peter, .. but in case you haven't ... check where they will actually fit..

the previous owner fitted them on my Hymer.. and one is on the garage door.. :rolleyes:

the other is at the hinge side of the hab door.. so it can't open against the van..

no big deal but not very practical.. so never use them..

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use straps to tie awning down as if you are not at van when the wind gets up.......away it goes, straight over the van-broken awning & damaged van!

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
you have probably checked already Peter, .. but in case you haven't ... check where they will actually fit..

the previous owner fitted them on my Hymer.. and one is on the garage door.. :rolleyes:

the other is at the hinge side of the hab door.. so it can't open against the van..

no big deal but not very practical.. so never use them..
There is just about space to fit them and avoid the doors etc. But I haven't been able to find any for a Thule Omnistore yet.

Upvote 0

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Two Kart tyres filled with concrete, with a short chain in the centre, and two ratchet straps. Always out in the day , always away at night, even with a light breeze, the flapping and squeaks are annoying.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
When our van was about six months old we rolled the awning out on a cloudless sunny July day with not a hint of wind. Pegged the feet down and sat down to lunch, suddenly a big gust of wind took our awning up and over the roof breaking both legs and making a big hole in the Heiki So now we always strap the awning down with a storm strap.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
seen more than one over the roof.. and it can cause a lot of expensive damage.. as @FJmike suffered

I always use the tie down straps and peg the feet using extender plates.. but at the first sign of it flapping, .. I take it in.. no point in risking it..

tie down straps may hold for a while .. but something will give.. eventually..

aways take it down at night and if leaving the van to go out

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
We keep our awning out all the time at shows as we trade from it, we use our own product to keep it safe.
We do these straps,
And these leg plates,
Hi, have just received the metal plates a moment ago which am sure will be a lot more stable than just two pegs at end of pole. Enjoyed our chat the other day,look forward to meeting up as we have now booked the Norfolk meet. ( can't put to much mileage on can we ?
Ray

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back