Germany: Christmas Markets (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Useful site with lots of travel information.. with a map of the Christmas market towns.

Link Removed

There are so many wonderful things to see and do in Germany at Christmas. Stroll through festively decorated streets and explore the enchanting Christmas markets with their seasonal music and choir singing. Listen to the sounds of bells and trumpeters and attend one of the many concerts from classical to gospel in the churches and on outdoor stages. Adorned with decorations and festively lit, the pedestrian precincts and shopping centres offer everything your heart could desire.

Last edited:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
I would love to go to one of these Christmast Markets, does anyone have any recommendations, and bear in mind travelling times. The closer the better.

Many thanks

Pat

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Pat never been but others have recommended Cologne (Koln) its big, theirs a stelplazt by the river, and its one of the closest German ones, but I think the closest is at Brugge in Belgium

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Been to the one in Bruges, sort of accidentally in that we set out for a few days B&B in Bruges (before we had the M/H) and the market was on. It is quite good fun, but isn't that huge. I'd say about 80% of the stalls were selling food and drink. Lots of lager and hamburgers! Some Gluhwein. Seemed very very difficult to find a cup of coffee or chocolate though. (on the market)

It was absolutely freezing cold - hadn't really realised the city was actually on a river island and there are cannals too - very picturesque; have promised ourselves a visit in summer because it must be stunning. Anyway as at least 75% of the other stalls were of the woolly hat and scarf variety that served me well as I hadn't taken a hat or scarf (well I so rarely wear either) and Boy! - I needed them! Fortunately Pete had his Thinsulate hat with him so he was OK.

Architecture is fantastic and of course most of the rooflines in the centre are illuminated for Xmas, very very pretty indeed.

The city is eminently unsuited to the motor vehicle - cars and m/bikes as well as hulking great things which we've all got! - many many cobbled streets and very very narrow in places. Because of the cobbles you need really thick/cushion soled footwear if you are going to see anything. And food 'out' was expensive. (Got talking to a Belgian chap in a resto one night, he said he lived and worked in Brussels and comes to Bruges some weekends to eat - if we thought Bruges was expensive!!!!) As was almost everything in the shops, it seemed. (You know how shoes used to be ridiculously expensive everywhere in France 10+ years ago? - let me tell you, you ain't seen expensive!!!) But very very acceptable for 'browsing' LOL

And don't be worried if it says somewhere is eg 'near the ring road' as this may make you imagine it's miles away - it ain't! - approx 20 mins smartish walk into marketplace.

So Bruges IMHO - well worth a visit. But if I'd actually gone for the market, I'd have been severely disappointed in that.

PS There was one 'kitchen' shop which wasn't actually expensive which was like a little treasure trove - a friend who it turned out had been the week before and I were drooling over things in there when we compared notes; husbands thought we were potty but we had both bought stuff ......

Last edited:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We have been to the xmas markets at Brugge, Valkenburg, Koln, n several down the mossel

In truth we were a little disappointed in them, as they are not a market as we know them they sell mainly, xmas decoration (which are different, lovely, but costly) gingerbreads, gluevien (hot wine) and food, there is little or nothing in the way of gifts

That said, they are still worth a visit, the atmosphere is great, the music, the mood, the effort
we would be happy to go again although we would rush back (we went last year)

The three to go to are Brugge, Valkenburg - this is a must, its the best and cheapest by far, it is housed in a huge cave with 40-50 stails, and Koln - Koln as 5 markets within about 3sq miles, but are all much of a muchness, they are easy to get to, using the underground system, you catch this at the entrance to the stal platz, and you pay on the train (machine does english)

Patsy i'll fill you in at Southport

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have been to the xmas markets at Brugge, Valkenburg, Koln, n several down the mossel

In truth we were a little disappointed in them, as they are not a market as we know them they sell mainly, xmas decoration (which are different, lovely, but costly) gingerbreads, gluevien (hot wine) and food, there is little or nothing in the way of gifts

its a stipulation of the german christmas markets that traders only sell 'seasonal' goods, hence the deco's, glockenspiels, Schwibbogen, Xmas food and Gluhwein...plus frankfurters/burgers etc (not exactly xmas food though)

so you aint going to see Del-boy and Rodney hawking dodgey printers and TVs

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

you could end up spending a fortune as well Brian,

we hold a few 'continental market' weekends in scarborough and value for money doesnt come into the equation.

while the produce is genuinely French/Spanish/German the prices are definately English.

A 250gram German slicing sausage = £5

200gram of mouldy french cheese = £5

a regular sized French Crepe with one filling= £2.50

a small paper bowl of paella (about a mugfull) = £2.50

im sure the traders only know £2.50 and £5 in English.

ok, they have transport costs and the stall fees but it cant add up to a 50%ish markup.

as someone posted in scotjimlands 'rip-off' thread....the price is dictated by what the punters will pay.
and this punter wont pay, so their loss.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Patsy, forgot to say, we're not going to Southport, running scared:cry::cry:

might change our minds yet, if we find something big n shine we could pasify you with like a winnie bago

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi looks like we might be going to the Cologne Xmas Market in early Dec. ::bigsmile: Mentioned it to the daughter and that was it, she's started packing already. :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Patsy, forgot to say, we're not going to Southport, running scared:cry::cry:

might change our minds yet, if we find something big n shine we could pasify you with like a winnie bago

I hope you are going Graham

You could bribe me with a UNICAT truck

See you there

Pat

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we love going to the christmas markets, we have been brugge, valkenburgh and colonge, colonge was the best for us there is a tourist train next to the dom that takes you around the other markets there,
valkenburgh was a bit naff the top cave was a waste of time the bottom one was a bit better tho. we are going back to colonge in december

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi tommy where is the best place to park the van?

Olley

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi tommy thanks, I was thinking of the stelplazt the other side of the Zoo, near to the Boltensternstr tube station. Cologne is operating the planketten system, but I can't seem to find out if we would be ok I have a yellow one.

Olley

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Olley, there is a stel platz over looking the Rhine about 20 min on you bike,(push) 1hr walking or 10 mins on the tram

Its a lovley safe quiet spot, loads of room even for an RV and costs 7 0r 8 euro's/24hr and about 2 euros for elec (good amps)

if you use the tram system it costs under 10 euro's for a family ticket for a day ticket (think it runs for 24 hrs) it allows upto 5 people to hope on and off all day.

and its nice to see the boats going up and down the Rhine

as for you patsy, unicat!, now i am scared, there well hard, may as well go to Southport and get it over and done with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g90kgPhvA4:Rofl1::Rofl1:or:shout:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
cant help with the stellplatz i wouldnt mind some info on it as it would seem the cheaper option.

planketten system? whats that?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi blisters is that the one near to the Boltensternstr tube station?

Hi tommy the planketten system is like London's LEZ, except it applies to quite a few German cities/towns, depending on your emissions you get either a red, yellow or green sticker, they only cost about €5 but you must have one to drive in the zones.

The zones have sign showing you what colour sticker is allowed, at the moment I think most colours are, but it will tighten up in the future.

See here: Link Removed
And Here: Link Removed you will have to take the dash out, between home and facts.
Olley

Last edited:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
Hi blisters is that the one near to the Boltensternstr tube station?

Hi tommy the planketten system is like London's LEZ, except it applies to quite a few German cities/towns, depending on your emissions you get either a red, yellow or green sticker, they only cost about €5 but you must have one to drive in the zones.

The zones have sign showing you what colour sticker is allowed, at the moment I think most colours are, but it will tighten up in the future.

See here: Link Removed

Olley

ah i remember now when we stayed at camping berger we were just outside the zone and didnt need to pay it.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Olley, the stelt Platz is near the zoo, so i'm guessing it is the one, if I get chance tomorrow i'll try and get the coordinated from my tomtom,

as for the unwelt, ours is yellow, don't know if we have the right one?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Blisters thanks, looking on google there are some M/H's parked next to the river near the zoo underground station, a look on the "other sites" data base only shows one further out on that road near the next station GPS: 50.962414 6.985921 so maybe their are two?

My sticker is yellow as well, according to "Boff" it should be green, but I think they had never heard of an 8litre petrol. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
as for you patsy, unicat!, now i am scared, there well hard, may as well go to Southport and get it over and done with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g90kgPhvA4:Rofl1::Rofl1:or:shout:

Hi Graham , your link U tube didnt work.

Thanks to everyone for their info about the xmas markets. Not sure what sticker that I am I have a feeling when I looked into it last time I was Yellow.

Regards Pat

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Olley, i have looked on google at the co ords you listed (50.962414 6.985921), and yes this is the Stal platz we were refering to,

if having zoomed in on you switch to satelite mode, you can see some grey lines, the one below the Stal platz, running along side the river is a foot/cycle path, there is a bourne upon the carpark, and if you zoom out a little you can see the railway lines

don't know of any other platz

do you need a umwelt sticker with LPG ?, thought in London LPG was exempt does this not apply else where

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Blisters thanks for confirming the location, ::bigsmile:

All vehicles need the planketten to enter an umwelt zone, but at only €5 its not a rip off, unlike the LEZ. and the one disk covers you for the whole of Germany for the life of the vehicle, pretty good I reckon, makes me believe that they are trying to improve air quality, not gather more tax.

Right just got to book the ferry. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Last edited:

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
I would love to go to one of these Christmast Markets, does anyone have any recommendations, and bear in mind travelling times.
Many thanks

Pat

Although most of these markets are good, in my opinion, the most atmospheric are those held in Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber and Dinkelsbuhl - two extremely pretty towns on the 'Romanic Road' running south from Wurzburg. Some of the famous 'Grimms Fairy Tales' are based on these towns.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just has a look at ferry prices, over 4m high, 9.5m long, leaving Dover late Sat 28th Nov, back early evening 2nd Dec. Norfolk line £113, P&O 98.75 and Seafrance a whopping £176.00

P&O are not only the cheapest, but also have slightly less unsocial sailing times. ::bigsmile:

Olley

PS After looking in the Bordatlas it lists a website for the Stellplatz here: Reisemobilhafen Kln - Stellplatz fr Wohnmobile its got lecky ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
thanks for that ive saved it for our trip, it also says its outside the umwelt zone so does that mean there is no need for the badge?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi tommy, didn't read that bit :Blush: thanks, yes your right no need for a sticker.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back