Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
I am just about to venture on my first trip. It's a bit scary, but looking forward to the challenge.
Any advice that may be useful to a 65 year old, born again, hippy?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Brenda and welcome!:WelcomeFlag:
Where are you planning on going for your first trip? There are lots of solo Funsters who are on here and there are forums too but you are most welcome on any of the rallies and you will be made very welcome .
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi & welcome to Motorhome'fun', the friendliest & most informative forum

Relax and enjoy as much as possible

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi & welcome 2 fun there r a few meet,s JAW,S thetford SOUL near newark then misterton plenty going on

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Brenda. Enjoy it. :hiya:

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Hello and welcome, there are many solos on this site so just go and enjoy it, book onto a rally and there will be a lot of support for you.

Liz

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Relax and enjoy! I've been solo now for seven years and still look forward to getting the wheels rolling under me and seeing new places, meeting new people and just spending the kids' inheritance! I'm currently doing my first solo trip to France; a bit daunting in prospect but now I'm on my way it's actually easier (so far!) than the UK with less traffic, an abundance of sites and very MH friendly. Welcome to soloism! Don't worry (it won't help!) and just enjoy!
Oh yes, if you want to read my current France blog, just click on the link next to my signature.

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome Brenda
I hope you have many happy adventures in your m/home.
I too am venturing on my first trip this week, having a couple of nights at a CL near Newbury then off to the Newbury show. Yes scary but I'm sure there are lots of other singles on this site who have been in the same position and ready to give advice and haven't looked back.
Good luck
From Mimi
Another solo traveller.

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi This is my second year solo, the first was a bit of a learning curve, such as check you press OK when you set the sat nav and make sure it will go between those two brick walls before you move. But, I'm off to Scotland on Saturday for three weeks. So Brenda enjoy learning and be happy.:)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi Brenda, i believe the best advice you can have is "take it as it comes", don't fret or build up scenarios, play it by ear.

We got back from a 3 week, almost 3 thousand mile trip on Sat, only done Holland and Belgium before, Caroline was nervous but we did the Perifearique (my spelling, it's not a road, it's a race track :swear2:) at 8 pm in the dark, stayed on motorway aires and on aires de service , never a problem.

Never got gassed, broken in to, accosted, my only rule about staying on any aire was to never stay anywhere we were on our own, only happened once and we drove on to the next one, no problem.

We travelled to the Costa Duarada, the Albaracin mountains, did the Massif Central on the way down and the Somport tunnels on the way back, stayed for free in Clerac by a duckpond on a beautiful Aire and paid 6 euro to stay on a crowded car park at Anglett, never again if I can help it, beatiful ACSI sites with indoor pools, heated pools and no pools, cost between 13 to 17 euro a day, and loved every minute of it.

Our only sadness is that we cannot go back until September, as we are waiting for Caroline's redundancy to complete, then we are off to Holland, Germany and wherever else for several months.

Keep coins handy and make sure you have a card to pay for aires, fuel etc. we use the Caxton, tried the Revolut but lost 300 euro the first time we used it, still trying to get it back so will stick with the tried and tested Caxton in future.

Paid 86.9c for fuel in Spain and 101c in France, it seems to be cheaper at the automated fuel stops, and the large supermarkets had the lowest price, nothing daunting about them, just like Pay at Pump over here.

We changed £5000 for euro's when the rate was 1.42 so this trip was probably 3 x cheaper than staying at home, and there's enough left over for the next one.

There are people on here that are far more experienced than us but that is our experience, and what an experience it was.

Enjoy your trip.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome Brenda
I hope you have many happy adventures in your m/home.
I too am venturing on my first trip this week, having a couple of nights at a CL near Newbury then off to the Newbury show. Yes scary but I'm sure there are lots of other singles on this site who have been in the same position and ready to give advice and haven't looked back.
Good luck
From Mimi
Another solo traveller.
Hi Mimi
There are several solos going to Newbury. Hope you are camping with Fun. Look out for my royal blue WildAx van and come and say hello!!
Catherine

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
65... !!! 65 !!
Thats quiet young compared to some of the old Codgers on here.. OPPS.. I see @hilldweller has already posted..
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I see yo am a brummie..
The Thetford bash is on next week, maybe that could be a good outing. No need to book ( as far as I know), for a good cause and will be plenty of us there...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Hi,
I am just about to venture on my first trip. It's a bit scary, but looking forward to the challenge.
Any advice that may be useful to a 65 year old, born again, hippy?
Nope, I think you have enough now! But do enjoy yourself!!

OP
OP
B

Brenda Glanfield

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all for your replies. I can't wait to get out there now. Just waiting to get my van back from the workshop,......then I'll be off, (or should that be "oil be orf... Bostin)!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Brill ower Bren, noice ter av yer eren all, ay it?

Oi ay a Brummie thow, Ah cum frum West Brom, doe Oi? Of never lived in Brum all me loif, Oi ay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back