Which LPG connection for gas tank? (1 Viewer)

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
I have an underslung gas tank (Hymer 680 2001 yr) and need to fill up this week before the Newbury meet next weekend. I have never done this before so I am not aware of what the garage pump connection looks like. I have 2 adaptors which came with the van which screw onto the gas tank fill point but I am not sure which one is correct for UK and where in the world the other is used.
Which ever one it is, what is the procedure at the pump, is it push on and turn to lock or what? Can anyone advise please?
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG

Reactions: f6c

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
One on the left is for UK .. the bayonet connector

The other is the Cup connector for France , Italy and Scandinavia

How to fill..
http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/how.html

when connected, hold the fill button IN .. it can take a few seconds before filling starts ..

once started just keep holding the button.. it will stop filling automatically

Last edited:
OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Thanks Jim, just what I needed. Now just got to find a garage that does LPG near me!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The very first time I filled up my Gaslow bottles I thought there was something wrong.. I connected the gun, then held the button.. but nothing happened.. tried several times and still nothing.. then it dawned on me.. :RollEyes:

I wasn't holding the fill button long enough for the system to pressurise and check the the integrity of the fill line.. it won't stat filling until it has done that..

mine being new the fill line was empty and it took longer than I expected..

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
First ensure the pump nozzle is turned fully anti-clockwise ,line up the bayonet connector lugs and push the nozzle onto the fill point. Now turn the pump nozzle clockwise. Then squeeze the handle to lock in place. Push and hold the button on the pump until it stops filling. Job done. It sounds more complicated than it is.

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Good point Jim I will bear that in mind when filling. Thanks to Glenn also, all becoming clear now.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Suggest you wear gloves 'cos the gas is VERY cold and can burn if you get it on your hands. Also, when you disconnect you will probably hear a big hisssssss - can be a bit frightening at first but it is normal.

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
I use FillLPG, mainly its Android app on my phone. Once you've filled up the first time just top up as you pass a convenient fuel station on your travels, that's what we do whenever possible.
I found the FillLPG site just after I posted, looks pretty useful and appears right up to date

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Suggest you wear gloves 'cos the gas is VERY cold and can burn if you get it on your hands. Also, when you disconnect you will probably hear a big hisssssss - can be a bit frightening at first but it is normal.
Good point. I use a pair like Broken Link Removed. Also good for gripping the adapter to unscrew it if it is a bit tight.
I found the FillLPG site just after I posted, looks pretty useful and appears right up to date
You can use the app to update it so I do so when we buy gas and, sometimes, when we pass a fuel station if I'm the passenger. The more people do that the more accurate it is.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Probably not top of your priority list right now, but if you go to Spain you'll need a different one. Best to get it before you go, from wherever you got the other two.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
What does Spanish one look like? Ta

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Keep your hand on the green button to fill
can be up to 10 seconds before the pump starts to run
The first time I thought the pump was faulty and kept taking my hand off the button
Got nowhere

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Thanks

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Keep your hand on the green button to fill
can be up to 10 seconds before the pump starts to run
The first time I thought the pump was faulty and kept taking my hand off the button
Got nowhere

I fill often.... and if the pump has not been used for a while.. it can take a lot longer before filling commences.. especially if tanks are some distance from pump....

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You've probably worked this out already, but just in case you haven't noticed, looking at your pictures, your adaptors fit onto a large coarse thread (1 3/4 inch Acme thread). The adaptor in cronkle's link is a smaller finer thread.

So you'll need an extra adaptor for that Spanish adaptor. The same site sells it, you could get them both together.

http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/134-ac...hread-ideal-american-rv--westfalia-1020-p.asp

The Acme thread filler was used in the UK many years ago, but has now been replaced by the bayonet type. The only place I've seen an actual Acme Thread filler recently is the Capellen filling station in Luxembourg. Good fuel prices make it very popular to neighbouring countries, or to fill up if you're going in that direction.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back