scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
3 years
Hi All
Can anyone help me:cry:
The cap on my water tank is driving me nuts.
Is there an easy way to lock/unlock it.
I manage to fluke it eventualy but dont know what I've done.
I've just given up and going to watch the football:Eeek:
Its an autoquest
Cheers
Jim.

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Short answer... no!

It's a well known problem...especially in the colder months

Some folks have taken them apart, other sprayed them with allsorts... one thing that often works is to drop it into a bowl of warm (not boiling!) for 5 mins but it seem to be a temporary fix

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
unlock cap

As posted in the post above drop the cap in hot water. We had this problem with the cap on our Burstner when it was only a few months old and were advised by Discover our dealer to drop it in hot water and leave for 30 mins.It worked but they did eventually change the cap for one they had in stock -Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Hi All
Its an autoquest
Cheers
Jim.

no they don't work

OP
OP
mariner41

mariner41

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
3 years
lock/unlock cap

Hi All
Still had no luck trying to lock the water filler cap:cry:
Is there a cap I can buy to fit it.
Cheers
Jim.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i have a 100% positive solution.....

dont lock it.:Doh:

is anyone really going to pour any obnoxious liquids in there.....i doubt it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All
Its an autoquest
Cheers
Jim.

They are useless, but buy a can of silicon grease, prise open gaps between the two halves and squirt in as much as possible. It may then eventually work. Ours does.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Locking!! cap

Hi, have the same problem with my water (locking!!!) cap. It just doesn't lock. I am afraid it might fall off sometime but it hasn't yet. I have asked several people to try and lock it but they all give up after a few minutes. My van is a Burstner Aviano i684. Any ideas out there other Burstner owners? Sorry for your plight with your cap. I know, it can get to you or get the better of you. It should be so simple: lock and unlock. . . but not in our case

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Locking cap

Hi, have the same problem with my water (locking!!!) cap. It just doesn't lock. I am afraid it might fall off sometime but it hasn't yet. I have asked several people to try and lock it but they all give up after a few minutes. My van is a Burstner Aviano i684. Any ideas out there other Burstner owners? Sorry for your plight with your cap. I know, it can get to you or get the better of you. It should be so simple: lock and unlock. . . but not in our case

Hi Decmac we have the same model on a 08 plate as I posted above we were told to put in boiling eater which worked but then stuck again so Discover changed it when we called for some repairs.You could try them but don,t know a price as ours was under warranty.
Another topic have you had problems with your drivers slide window leaking we are still waiting for a replacement seal. -Sue

drs

Free Member
Oct 13, 2007
Ware, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
We have the same problem. We only found out when we had a habitation service and they locked it for us which was great but we could not get it to unlock. The retaining part of the the lock even fell out eventually sorted it out so now do as we usually do and leave it unlocked.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I thought I might be of some use here as I know where the caps lock key is. UNFORTUNATELY MINE KEEPS GOING ON AT THE WRONG TIME.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi All
Its an autoquest
Cheers
Jim.

Hi, Mariner, mine was sticking, so just gave it a squirt of wd40 (in the key slot) and its been ok since.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
At the risk of being shot down, and assuming we are talking about the standard white lockable cap.
I have no problems with them at all. When locking turn the key clockwise and then remove the key and push the cap in against the spring and rotate clockwise, it is then locked.
To unlock, turn the key anti-clockwise, push the cap against the spring, rotate the cap anti-clockwise and remove.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Jim I had probs with mine would not come off for love nor money, took the whole lot off and replaced it with a FIAMMA the type with 3 lugs easy to lock no further trouble:thumb::thumb::thumb: Pete

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
15000km is a bit far to go and check it, but I thought on mine the key could be rotated in either direction without hitting any stops but the key could only be removed when the key slot was at right angles to the handle. If the knob clicked when you went to push in and turn anticlockwise, then put the key back in, turn it 180 degrees and pull it out again and it should be able to be turned and removed.

I'll check it end of feb when we return.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At the risk of being shot down, and assuming we are talking about the standard white lockable cap.
I have no problems with them at all. When locking turn the key clockwise and then remove the key and push the cap in against the spring and rotate clockwise, it is then locked.
To unlock, turn the key anti-clockwise, push the cap against the spring, rotate the cap anti-clockwise and remove.

Pete:Cool:

Same works for me as well - except that when locking I rotate the cap first, before using the key.

The fact that I've posted this probably means I'm now in for heaps of bother with the cap in future :Eeek:

Graham

dikyenfo

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class Mc Louis with small trailer
Exp
1 year
I had mine sieze up the same as all of you but I replaced it with the type which has 3 spiral slots inside the totally flush cap. It is slightly awkward to use but never fails to unlock. as only a 1/4 turn is req'd. The sort previously on was ot the 'T'handle type and was rubbish. I bought mine in France at the best shop I have ever seen. YPO at Nantes situated just off the ring road where the N137 meets the ring road. Most important price under a fiver.

Decmac

Free Member
May 17, 2008
Funster No
Locking cap

Hi Decmac we have the same model on a 08 plate as I posted above we were told to put in boiling eater which worked but then stuck again so Discover changed it when we called for some repairs.You could try them but don,t know a price as ours was under warranty.
Another topic have you had problems with your drivers slide window leaking we are still waiting for a replacement seal. -Sue

Hi Sue,
Mine (ours) is on an 08 plate as well, so they should be very much the same. Never heard of the boiling water trick before, but is it only a temporary fix? I think I will contact the dealer we bought from about it but will try any fix that anyone suggests before we do that. You ask about the drivers slide window leaking - yes we had a bit of a problem of sorts with that particular side recently when raining but I think it was the way we were parked, slightly higher on one side with the result that all the rain was running of van at that side. As far as I remember all I did was the open the window when the rain stopped (miracles do happen!) and I pushed the seal towards (inwards) the window and that seemed to solve it. Maybe your seal is perished, but it shouldn't be with a new van. No much rain came in in our case as we just kept soaking it up with tissues and the like. You should try running a hose (very easy) against it and see what happens, maybe the seal needs to be pushed in like mine so that it is flush against the window when it is closed. Hope this helps to solve your problem or goes some way towards that end. Hope your enjoying your van, we certainly are, beautiful van the Avian. Stay in touch, we could swap info and help each other with small problems as above. I can forward my e-mail address if you like or send private messages re little probs. All the best. Regards . . . Decmac:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back