OK Lets try asking a different way..........cats....... (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im sure they do
We as mere Weekend Tourers took our cat everywhere with us and let him have free run
he knew where his sardines were buttered

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We plan to when we start full-timing. We already take him with us on trips, he loves it.

berriedale.jpg

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I've seen quite a few on leashes. Always feel sorry for them as cats in my opinion should be free to roam, not like dogs. I can appreciate that they could roam too far and not get back to the motorhome though being in many different areas.
I have seen many different pets taken away with owners, the strangest being 2 ferrets in a cage in an awning on a site.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We did for the three years we full-timed, never had any problems, as Geo said they knew where their grub was. Poor people, we couldn't afford sardines.:)

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I've seen quite a few on leashes. Always feel sorry for them as cats in my opinion should be free to roam, not like dogs. I can appreciate that they could roam too far and not get back to the motorhome though being in many different areas.
I have seen many different pets taken away with owners, the strangest being 2 ferrets in a cage in an awning on a site.

On a site in Cambridge, after we had let them out, a warden came running over and said dogs have to be on a lead and so do cats!

Ian

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Quite right too !! Cats murder wildlife for fun .
No, only humans do that. Cats kill wildlife as part of their hunting instincts. They do not have human traits or emotions, although we often like to think they do. .

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Weve seen a bloke in Portugal who takes his pot-bellied pig with him in his van. On site he puts out a wire mesh pen to stop it wandering off.
Tommy at Camperserve who has done some repair work on the van says it absolutely stinks inside (surprise, surprise)

Reactions: Jim

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
A couple from the Isle of Wight that we've met a few times take their cat to Portugal staying a various places and their only trouble is that if they are only on a site for a day or two that's fine,she doesn't go far but stay long term and she gets to know her territory and stays out sometimes all night. So on long stayes she goes on a line

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
No, only humans do that. Cats kill wildlife as part of their hunting instincts. They do not have human traits or emotions, although we often like to think they do. .
They kill for fun ,they are domestic animals ,not wild ones full stop .!!!

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
We take our old cat to Europe with us not problem ,doesn't seem to keen to wander.
We normally tour for 10/11 weeks so leaving her at home isn't really an option.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We took ours abroad, camping Lisbon one year, within in a few days they attracted a few of the strays that wander about the site. Used to take them to the motorhome shows as well.
I think this is Park Verger in France
DSCN6203.jpg

This is a spot next to the monument to Henry the Navigator, overlooking the Targus river.
DSCN6074.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Yes, Freddie & Maizie ( now both departed this world ) travelled in the motorhome in France and UK, full timed for 21 months. They were fine & seemed quite laid back about it all.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I'm all for it, Emergency Rations innet?

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
@REKERLY does, Rex & Sherry. Seems to work fine for them.
We do not go full time but we have travelled with our cat in the Uk. She was three when we got her. A bit cautious in the beginning. Loves being in the van, has numerous beds especially In the sun. Travels in a crate, which she hates, we stop after two hours for a break and cat comes out of crate Litter tray fits between front seats when parked up. Normally has dried food when In van and despite being taken out on a lead, comes back to use,litter tray. If quiet site and no dogs nearby she roams on her own. Responds to a whistle. Any noise she is not sure of she comes rushing back to van. She is micro chipped in case she gets lost.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We met a couple earlier this week who are full timers and they had their cat with them. Part of the time it was on a long cord, but some of the time it was left to roam free. Their biggest concern was if it went on the road ( not that any cars used that particular road).

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Rex, hope you and Sherry are well. Has she got through the bottle of gin she bought in Truro?

Hope to see you sometime this year

Yes it started Cherry on a quest to try as many different gins as possible. We now have six different ones at the moment. A shop in nearby Skipton stocks 106 so she has quite a way to go!!
You will have a choice next time we meet.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We do not go full time but we have travelled with our cat in the Uk. She was three when we got her. A bit cautious in the beginning. Loves being in the van, has numerous beds especially In the sun. Travels in a crate, which she hates, we stop after two hours for a break and cat comes out of crate Litter tray fits between front seats when parked up. Normally has dried food when In van and despite being taken out on a lead, comes back to use,litter tray. If quiet site and no dogs nearby she roams on her own. Responds to a whistle. Any noise she is not sure of she comes rushing back to van. She is micro chipped in case she gets lost.
Great reply, so helpful....thank you. x

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I think it depends on the cats in question though, some would hate it.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
On a site in Cambridge, after we had let them out, a warden came running over and said dogs have to be on a lead and so do cats!

Ian
It wouldn't be a Caravan & Camping club site would it.....lol.....what on earth do they do about local cats.......scrrreeeaammmmmmmmmmmm.....:LOL:

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I know it seems wrong to put a cat on a harness, but Dolly would run a mile in a nano second if someone spooked her. I couldn't leave her home for weeks at a time she would have to go in a cattery, seems more cruel to me. She actually stands and waits for her harness putting on to go outside now. We take 2 igloos which she feels safe in, and a proper cat carrier in case of breakdown, you never know. Put an igloo outside then take her out. She runs to it if she wants and other times sits happily on a chair. As has been said, it's labour intensive, don't open door yet! Where's the cat?! The litter tray sits in the shower and gets emptied often. Scratching post between the cab seats when on site. She's even got the hang of washing her hair in the sink!

Attachments

• IMG_20160403_182621.jpg
    IMG_20160403_182621.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 20160429074621_1.JPG
    20160429074621_1.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 53

Join us or log in to post a reply.