Major issue accessing back bulbs on our Ford Jumbo (1 Viewer)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Had our conversion done by a great firm year before last. Took ages but loved the finished van. Just hit major issue ! We cannot access the back lights to change the bulbs ! The bulbs are fine, but we go to france for our long hols in 3 weeks and are now worried that if indicators go we're buggered !! Does anyone have a pic of where the access is on a jumbo ? The guy said they'll try to remedy access but doesn't know where to start as he has no idea where they are in the first place ?

Currently have a panel going from the floor to our high bed.

Chances of anyone having an empty ford jumbo slim, but asking anyway.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ours is blocked in by the look of it. The guy doesn't want to 'hack about' blindly trying to find where he needs to cut. Any ideas where and how far up ? Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I can get a pic of the catastrophe if that will help ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
A trip to a Ford main dealer with a van section may be needed?

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As above, find a similar vehicle and have a squint and take photographs but bluntly, you shouldn't have to do that as your "converter" should find out where access needs to be cut. But my guess is it needs some pretty big access holes cutting so you can get at the full hight of the rear light cluster and this will be level with the light clusters on the outside. I don't know your vehicle but on some all the bulbs are mounted on a carrier and you need to be able to remove it. You can't do that through a keyhole.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Thinking about this a little bit more and I'm coming to the conclusion that this is a massive cockup/oversight by the converters. Years ago when Adam was a lad all rear lenses were screwed on from the outside but I can't think of any that are now?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As above, find a similar vehicle and have a squint and take photographs but bluntly, you shouldn't have to do that as your "converter" should find out where access needs to be cut. But my guess is it needs some pretty big access holes cutting so you can get at the full hight of the rear light cluster and this will be level with the light clusters on the outside.
It's Deffo going to be a big cut, more like a hatch than a hole, 'hack about' ? I think not.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you open the back doors you can measure the light relative to the floor. you will need to create 2 service hatches the same size as the lights and directly behind.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
They are still done that way in most A and C class coachbuilts; certainly were on my previous Adria and are in my present Hymer.
Yes Peter I agree, but this is a PVC based on a standard manufactured vehicle not a coachbuilt.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We basically have a u-shaped bed and seating area at the back. Both lights are under the seating area. However, the panel at the back of the van is also hindering here as this covers the whole of the back up to the bed. Here's a pic if that's any help at all....

Attachments

• 20160513_182900.jpg
    20160513_182900.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160513_183020.jpg
    20160513_183020.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160513_183057.jpg
    20160513_183057.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 82

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Try feeling around the area on the internal vertical post, may be a soft part that shows the area where there is a hole in the steel box section.
You may be able to cut the trim neatly, depending on type of trim of course.
In there are two plastic wing nuts.
They are in the top and bottom 25%
If never been off they are TIGHT!

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Oops, just seen the pics,
I am slow typist.
That is one COCK UP

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Oops, just seen the pics,
I am slow typist.
That is one COCK UP
I know :( We never even realised this, it was Eddie Vanbitz guys who spotted it. In theory we are hoping it's just a matter of drilling out 2 round holes just to access the wheelnuts, however, this really is not gonna be the case :'(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It doesn't look good from those pictures, it isn't the back wall which is in the way, the ply side wall needs a way through and I really hope the metal frame isn't in the way. :(

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If the bulb rack has to come into the vehicle your buggered, if you undo said wing nuts and the whole light fitting comes away outwards it might work.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It doesn't look good from those pictures, it isn't the back wall which is in the way, the ply side wall needs a way through and I really hope the metal frame isn't in the way. :(
He said that was our worse scenario :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
He said that was our worse scenario :(
Sympathies. If he cuts a big enough hole you'll be able to stuff him in it and seal it off!

It's the sort of mistake I would probably make if I tried to convert my own vehicle but someone who apparently does it for a living should have been wise to the issue, though that is little comfort.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
If the bulb rack has to come into the vehicle your buggered, if you undo said wing nuts and the whole light fitting comes away outwards it might work.
So it's fingers crossed for that solution then ! We need the van for 3 weeks time, thinking of asking him just to get us access for now and then we put Jumbo back into him in october for proper sort out. The white box is the alarm system and one set of contacts is on the board at the back, you can see that first pic, bottom right. Small white piece. This all needs to remain intact ! What an utter nightmare and learning curve for us. Not sure we would have a conversion done again, best off buying all new maybe. Sigh !

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Could you not do an exploratory hole and use an endoscope to have a ferret around? I think Maplins do them.

I've seen them used to inspect the internal spars and elements of aircraft wings.
Beats making holes everywhere and having the panel mullah'd! At least with a pilot hole, you'd know where to make any cuts.

Just a thought.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Could you not do an exploratory hole and use an endoscope to have a ferret around? I think Maplins do them.

I've seen them used to inspect the internal spars and elements of aircraft wings.
Beats making holes everywhere and having the panel mullah'd! At least with a pilot hole, you'd know where to make any cuts.

Just a thought.
Having a look see at a base van, measuring up and taking pictures would be my approach, a quick chat with the workshop Forman about how the bulbs are changed would help too. But is it really your job to do this? I think it's the converters job to sort his cockup out.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Having a look see at a base van, measuring up and taking pictures would be my approach, a quick chat with the workshop Forman about how the bulbs are changed would help too. But is it really your job to do this? I think it's the converters job to sort his cockup out.
Yorick is going to take a pic tomoz for us. I'll screen shot that and we can email it to them.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
On my car the bulb rack comes into the boot, it's plastic with four bulbs mounted in it. On Angela's the whole light cluster comes away then you unplug the wiring loom and the bulbs come out last. It's weird to look at as it leaves a massive hole int the rear corner of her car, C4 Picasso.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
To be frank, the metalwork is definitely going to be an issue as you will only be able to access one side of the wingnuts. I got over this in a couple of conversions I did by in one case an access door and in the other a neat hole covered with an aluminium plate.
if it were me I would use a 70mm hole saw just above the light and below, then cut a straight line between them forming an oblong access hole. cover with a neat polished aluminium or plastic plate screwed on. being under the bed, it wont notice. then you may need to make a cranked spanner to fit the wingnuts, as you are unlikely to get it loose with just fingers reaching through a hole in the wood

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
our old talbot rambler had screws drilled through the lights to hold them on from outside im suprised a profesional converter did not allow access

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
flip me. I've never ever seen so much over reaction and panic without knowing the truth.
You're all acting as though it's the end of the world.

The whole tail light section drops to the outside and us held in place by ONE wingnut inside.

Just calm down.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
flip me. I've never ever seen so much over reaction and panic without knowing the truth.
You're all acting as though it's the end of the world.

The whole tail light section drops to the outside and us held in place by ONE wingnut inside.

Just calm down.
getting a bit aggressive there yorick, is there something seriously wrong?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back