Data Usage (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I am using a 3 PAYG sim currently in France my usage for today shows download 330 Mb and upload of 2.13 Gb.

Total useage on this sim is download 1.07 Gb and upload 7.85 Gb in 10 days, my 12 Gb won't last long at this rate.

Anyone know where this data is going and how do I stop it? I have AVG anti virus free version and I have attempted to stop all automatic updates.

I have deleted all cloud systems that came pre installed with Windows 8.1 on this HP laptop bought last summer.

There appear to be 2 apps, onedrive and one note that I am unable to delete......how is it possible to delete apps as they do not seem to appear in control panel's list of programmes?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I used 8Gb in 24 hours by having my home security cameras effectively live in the background without realising

Apparently the equivalent of streaming 4 films simultaneously and constantly o_O

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Android:
In settings you can restrict background data use for your apps.
You can also choose to cancel auto- update for your apps.
You can also set apps to only go online when on WiFi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am using a 3 PAYG sim currently in France my usage for today shows download 330 Mb and upload of 2.13 Gb.

Total useage on this sim is download 1.07 Gb and upload 7.85 Gb in 10 days, my 12 Gb won't last long at this rate.

Anyone know where this data is going and how do I stop it? I have AVG anti virus free version and I have attempted to stop all automatic updates.

I have deleted all cloud systems that came pre installed with Windows 8.1 on this HP laptop bought last summer.

There appear to be 2 apps, onedrive and one note that I am unable to delete......how is it possible to delete apps as they do not seem to appear in control panel's list of programmes?

Onedrive is Microsoft's version of Googledrive or iCloud - it's online storage and access. It is more than likely configured by default to automatically sync everything you do. You won't be able to delete it because it's part of Windows but there will be a settings panel for it somewhere where you should be able to turn off the auto syncing. I don't use Windows so can't tell you how to do it.

There used to be a thing in Windows where you could monitor network activity and see exactly what programs your network traffic is coming from. Don't know if that's still there.

Don't forget that if you're using a MiFi all your devices will be fooled into thinking they're connected to WiFi so any thing that's configured to only work on WiFi - video, auto updates etc - will try and work.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Onedrive is Microsoft's version of Googledrive or iCloud - it's online storage and access. It is more than likely configured by default to automatically sync everything you do. You won't be able to delete it because it's part of Windows but there will be a settings panel for it somewhere where you should be able to turn off the auto syncing. I don't use Windows so can't tell you how to do it.

There used to be a thing in Windows where you could monitor network activity and see exactly what programs your network traffic is coming from. Don't know if that's still there.

Don't forget that if you're using a MiFi all your devices will be fooled into thinking they're connected to WiFi so any thing that's configured to only work on WiFi - video, auto updates etc - will try and work.

Thank's for that, I have since discovered that one drive cannot be deleted but have yet to discover any settings panel for it but when I do open the app there is a button to sync so i assume that it does not do it automatically, next step is to click on the sync button and see if that gives any options.

When I first bought the laptop HP had thoughtfully installed a cloud storage system called Evernote whose default setting was to sync, that used up all the data on one sim before I discovered it, now in the bin!!

The problem seems to be that these days it seems the norm for everyone to assume that all users are on unlimited and fast connections, the amount of unwanted crap that comes down on most sites, even with adblocker. is amazing.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I use CCleaner which has a tool in which you can disable startup of tasks in Windows which you do not need. I also have Windows system automatic updates disabled as well as all other programs which have the automatic update facility.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you are using apps like Facebook that takes a lot of data up.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you are using apps like Facebook that takes a lot of data up.

Don't use facebook or many apps at all, the biggest user of data is probably google maps and google earth but it is not the data useage that I am particularly worried about but all the masses of data that are being up loaded.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I use CCleaner which has a tool in which you can disable startup of tasks in Windows which you do not need. I also have Windows system automatic updates disabled as well as all other programs which have the automatic update facility.

Is that a free tool? I may try that.

Edit, just googled that, which version do you have?

I also have windows automatic updates disabled and only update selected ones when on free wifi:)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Are you taking loads of photos? Your camera may be set to upload to a cloud storage system automatically.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Are you taking loads of photos? Your camera may be set to upload to a cloud storage system automatically.

Not too many photo's and I always download from the card via windows and not the camera software.

I have uninstalled all cloud systems from the PC except one drive which cannot be uninstalled but I do not think that this uploads automatically.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I use the Free version which is quite adequate for most users.

Your upload data useage looks crazy unless, as someone else mentioned, you are uploading photos or video to the web.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I use the Free version which is quite adequate for most users.

Your upload data useage looks crazy unless, as someone else mentioned, you are uploading photos or video to the web.

I agree and the only thing that I can think of is that one of the cloud systems that I have now uninstalled was uploading files.

I do have quite a lot of photo's and music plus downloaded filmon TV programmes(when I was on an unlimited plan) but even if they sync automatically it would surely only upload any new files.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for all your input, I think I have solved the problem which is/was onedrive doing it's own thing.

I have gone into properties of onedrive and opened advanced attributes and disabled archiving and also paused sync'ing via the button in the task bar. I don't know which of these has been effective but at the moment no uploading is taking place.

The link that @DBK posted re disabling onedrive would not work as, I think, the method described only works if onedrive is part of microsoft office, which i do not have.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Have you being updating a Garman sat nav at all, i had problems a while ago cost me £25 over night

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Currently in France using 3 data SIM.. the other day Three says you need to top up you have used all of your data allowance...I knew this to be wrong as it was showing only 1.5 GB used the evening before. The Three web site was then down so could not show my allowance .After half an hour of on and off and thinking it all came back as I thought only 1.5 GB used and the 3 web site can back to confirm 10gb plus left.
This has happened again " no data left" ..but here I am on line and working..

Has any one else had this false alarm? :eek:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We used 12gb in 10 days last year - I thought that all updates were suspended and my cloud backups were turned off but something kept draining the data. I hope that it was the iPad (which is no longer used) syncing with iCloud or whatever it is or its apps updating.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Currently in France using 3 data SIM.. the other day Three says you need to top up you have used all of your data allowance...I knew this to be wrong as it was showing only 1.5 GB used the evening before. The Three web site was then down so could not show my allowance .After half an hour of on and off and thinking it all came back as I thought only 1.5 GB used and the 3 web site can back to confirm 10gb plus left.
This has happened again " no data left" ..but here I am on line and working..

Has any one else had this false alarm? :eek:
Could this be telling you about a previous sim that has indeed run out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back