Oil leak advice Fiat 2.3 130 multijet (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Can someone please advise what this is .it seems to be leaking a clear oil or similar
Its 2.3 130 multijet engine 2007.its in the top right hand corner of the engine compartment
thanks

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Photo attached

Attachments

• 20160512_171254.jpg
    20160512_171254.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 216

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Top right is the fuel filter. Some are plastic and famous for leaking.

Edit: just seen the picture. You have a plastic leaking fuel filter. It probably needs replacing. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
It's the fuel filter
Plenty of info on here about it, it's a common problem.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fiat-fuel-filter-leaking-again-Oh Please!.81919/

OP
OP
Jimbohorlicks
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Thanks for the responses and to Andy for the links. Its dripped onto the drive shaft which has spun it around a bit. Get a splash on the ground when parked up a while. Would it be ok to leave it leaking.? We are up in the scottish sticks and 10 days from home

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks for the responses and to Andy for the links. Its dripped onto the drive shaft which has spun it around a bit. Get a splash on the ground when parked up a while. Would it be ok to leave it leaking.? We are up in the scottish sticks and 10 days from home
It will only get worse while the pump is running its under pressure

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
if you remove it(easy no tools req)unscrew top and retighten it will probably cure it for a while. If you have breakdown cover get them to do it for you,thats what we did the first time it let us down. Have you just had it serviced? as this normally sets them off, @Techno has a blow by blow how to thread. Only sure cure is replace unit. (cheaper on ebay)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
It is usually the O ring that fails, the issue is that they filter housing needs to held in a vice and torque up with a special tool available on e bay. 'Blue Print "are a good make. Otherwise fit a new housing complete without disturbing the seal.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Jim, it happened to us in Germany a few years back, I bought a new filter from a garage and changed it along with a new seal, although I could only tighten it by hand it cured the leak, other alternative is to by pass the filter using a piece of rubber hose and couple of jubilee clips,
Best of luck with it mate.

Eric

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"other alternative is to by pass the filter using a piece of rubber hose and couple of jubilee clips, "

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!!!

Bypassing the filter is the road to a very expensive repair! The high pressure pump and injectors are manufactured to extremely minute clearances and the tiniest particle can spell disaster which could cost in excess of £1000 to fix. The filter is there to remove any damaging particles before they reach the high pressure pump (this works in the region of 3000 Bar and with 1 Bar being approx 15 psi we are talking pressures in the 45,000 psi region), the injectors are also manufactured to minute clearances and particles that are measured in microns can cause failures. Modern common rail injectors can be up to £150 each. A friend has just had to have all four injectors replaced on a Mondeo at a cost of over £1000. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!

D.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It is usually the O ring that fails, the issue is that they filter housing needs to held in a vice and torque up with a special tool available on e bay. 'Blue Print "are a good make. Otherwise fit a new housing complete without disturbing the seal.
I have an un-used special tool for the fuel filter to enable tightening without distorting the housing, if anyone going to Thetford is interested

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It was'nt meant as an alternative, just an emergency to a repair garage, don't think there would be so much crap coming up from diesel tank on a short journey, but hey ho, I wonder how people who don't change their filter for years get away it.

Eric

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It was'nt meant as an alternative, just an emergency to a repair garage, don't think there would be so much crap coming up from diesel tank on a short journey, but hey ho, I wonder how people who don't change their filter for years get away it.

Eric

A filter that "hasn't been changed for years" will not flow sufficient fuel but likewise it won't allow the damaging particles through either whereas a bypassed filter will let anything up to the diameter of the hose through potentially leading to major and very expensive repairs. Short journey or long, it only takes seconds for one particle to get through and do the damage. Diesel fuel systems have always been sensitive to dirt ingress but these modern systems are even more so, to the point where the new filter should not even be touched by bare hands or even gloved hands. The advice in the packaging is to tear open the top of the plastic bag encasing the filter but only remove it from the top of the filter, hold the filter via the plastic bag to fit it to the top part of the housing and only fully remove the bag just prior to fitting the whole top assembly including new filter into the main filter housing body.

I'm sorry to be so blunt Gloworm but your original advice was foolhardy and potentially fatal to a diesel engine.

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm going to change the filter element again after my holiday see if I can get it to leak :LOL: I must be good eh Dave :cool:
Going to fit a new sump pan too while changing the oil

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Oh no am i glad we no longer have capital punishment,
Eric

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
don't bother buying tools:(
Get two new ones, fit one , no tools required, tuck the other one under your seat ready for the next time it fails
My meticulously serviced one failed after a 1000 miles, complete waste of time, but I changed it for the new one under my seat, in 15 mins and carried on my way
The first time it failed on a dual carriage way and dumped all the fuel, the AA man did £2000 of damage getting it on the recovery truck [they paid up!], too lazy to fix it
In essence its a DIY job and can be done at the side of the road

One more time [sorry].....carry a brand new spare (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Eric

And just for the record in your original post you said "other alternative is to by pass the filter using a piece of rubber hose and couple of jubilee clips, "

So if it wasn't meant as an alternative why say "other alternative"?????

And what has capital punishment got to do with it?

D.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Your taking it a bit serious Dave, has someone upset you ?, if so don't have a go me, I was just trying to help a fellow funster, I'm sure your advice has been taken,

Eric

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
"other alternative is to by pass the filter using a piece of rubber hose and couple of jubilee clips, "

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!!!!

A friend has just had to have all four injectors replaced on a Mondeo at a cost of over £1000. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!

D.
I have an friend who was getting black market (contaminated) red diesel and the same thing happened!!!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Your taking it a bit serious Dave, has someone upset you ?, if so don't have a go me, I was just trying to help a fellow funster, I'm sure your advice has been taken,

Eric

I take it seriously when I see advice given that could cost someone a lot of money. It was bad advice plain and simple and I corrected it. No one has upset me and that is not having a go at you, its simply correcting the misguided advice you gave. I'm sorry you took my comments as a personal attack on you, they were not intended that way but you have to admit advising anyone to bypass the fuel filter on a diesel engine is foolhardy in the extreme.

D.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Any news on your leak Jim ?, was hoping to see you at Newbury but see your not on the list, are you going to Thetford ?,

Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back