Dometic fridge and freezer playing up (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Currently in France (Concarneau).

Carthago Chic C-Line.

Fridge / freezer working well until last night when we arrived here. Worked at first then decided that it would not operate off the 240V. Lots of relay type clicking from the innards and eventually it switched to gas. I have now switched from Auto fuel selection to gas as we need to keep stuff cold / frozen. Never had a problem before and wondered if it could be because the site may have reversed polarity but I have no means of checking this; everything else is working fine. Site is at least 10A possibly 16A (staff don't seem to know :rolleyes:).

I have no plans or tools for a deep maintenance job but wondered if any of you good people may have some insight.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got the same van and had a similar problem once before
It could be low voltage on the site
It does mention this as a possible cause in the handbook

Like you we switched to gas and when we plugged in next time (at another site) all worked fine

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It most definitely cannot be line / neutral reversed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Sounds like low mains voltage, DD. Is your location full of others using EHU? You could try knocking the Alde off electric. I suggest you try your fridge on mains again at another location. If it’s fine then, clearly it was something to do with the current supply (pun not intended).

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like low mains voltage, DD. Is your location full of others using EHU? You could try knocking the Alde off electric. I suggest you try your fridge on mains again at another location. If it’s fine then, clearly it was something to do with the current supply (pun not intended).
Hello @rogher . I did check it with the Alde off, not that it was really on as the weather is good so we don't need the heating only a bit of hot water, however, it made no difference. Now that it has been mentioned I do suspect a supply problem although the site is only about one third full. Time will tell ;).

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We've got the same van and had a similar problem once before
It could be low voltage on the site
It does mention this as a possible cause in the handbook

Like you we switched to gas and when we plugged in next time (at another site) all worked fine
Hello @Robert Clark . Thanks for the comment, seems very likely. I guess we will find out when we next use another site.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you look at the breaker and it's not ancient it will have c6 c10 c16 or another number, respectively 6 amp 10 amp 16amp. You get the principle?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I get the principle thanks but on this site they are locked away :( .

Attachments

• P1010404.JPG
    P1010404.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 17

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As said above almost certainly a low voltage supply .... we had exactly the same symptoms on another French site and when I put a meter on it only had about 180v.

Best not to use the electric as the continual auto switching can cause damage ... it may have been coincidental but our 240v fridge element failed shortly afterwards.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If you have a problem with your coffee machine holder dropping down, let me know as I've got a solution for that
Mine did self deploy on the trip to Southdown's for its first check-over and they changed the gas strut. Since then it has behaved, however, it would be good to know a fix, or does it involve some form of adhesive? :LOL:.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Mine did self deploy on the trip to Southdown's for its first check-over and they changed the gas strut. Since then it has behaved, however, it would be good to know a fix, or does it involve some form of adhesive? :LOL:.
Ours kept dropping down on our recent trip to Italy - and got worse as we went along. It's a bad design as it relies purely on a piston to support the weight of a Nespresso Pod machine.
So I fixed it with a chrome Sash Window Catch
View from below - which slides out when travelling
image-jpeg.104767

image-jpeg.104768

And retracts when needed
image-jpg.104769

Mrs C gave me 5 stars for innovation !

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Very neat. I will keep that one up my sleeve, thanks.

Have you had any trouble with the blinds. Ours are sometimes very reluctant to clip up and on some the side guides have pooped out and they are a bugger to replace.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very neat. I will keep that one up my sleeve, thanks.

Have you had any trouble with the blinds. Ours are sometimes very reluctant to clip up and on some the side guides have pooped out and they are a bugger to replace.
The slide guides have been a minor issue - whenever they pop off I fix them with super glue.
When raising the blind I find it useful to tilt the blind towards me slightly - seems to locate better that way.
Have you got a steel plate surrounding the TV / radio aerial on the roof?
Ours was was painted steel and has started rusting and is being replaced with an aluminium one.
Also our pop up TV is a bit 'wonky '. Needs new runners - all being done at first service.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I don't have a TV aerial as we have a sat dish. I'm told there is a "bumper" TV aerial but it never seems to work well so the dish get used. I have not really looked up top so can't comment about the radio aerial.

Pop up TV is as you say a bit wonky. It is also stiff to raise but does the job, but I will check to see if it is really okay.

Generally most things seem to be okay but water can seep out around the red inspection cover of the lower fresh water tank when it is under pressure from the extra 60ltrs in the upper tank.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If your lead is long enough or you have another you could try another post, we had issues in Spain last year, controller said no power site said post was good and had been used that week, when I measured voltage it was only 80V, had 2 leads so connected further down site all then OK

as you say though, better things to worry about, have another drink move to another site tomorrow try again, I am with the majority above, pretty sure the problem will go, don't forget to return to AES or auto setting (y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
You said you nor the site knew the rating I just tried to advise you how to identify for now And the future but as you said you can't be added.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@DavidG58 When I started this thread I was the only one plugged into the pillar. There is now another camper plugged in and I have tried the fridge freezer again on mains. Strangely it is now performing as it should and has been for several hours. Tomorrow is the start of a French holiday w/e so the site will fill up and I will go over to gas "just in case".

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
You said you nor the site knew the rating I just tried to advise you how to identify for now And the future but as you said you can't be added.
No offence meant, but all the other electrickery is working okay and clicking over to gas is quick and easy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Nothing missed. You’re absolutely right, David.

The current used will increase and cause a breaker to trip unexpectedly (for the wattage being consumed) if the voltage drops low enough. W=VA, so A=W/V. As W is constant, A will increase as V gets smaller. If the current gets high enough, it will cause filaments to fail and the fridge is probably trying to prevent that by tripping out.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@rogher et al, as a matter of interest is there a simple, inexpensive, small and light, plug in meter that I can add to my travelling tool box. I have a complex multi-meter at home but for the MH I feel I should have something to provide a quick check.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Try getting hold of a "Martindale" plug in tester, its what I used when I was a Sparky.
They are same size as a UK 3 pin plug, they show polarity, and red neon's show voltage at 230V.
If all 3 neon's light up then everything is good including earthing.
I just need to find mine now I have mentioned it!;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Nothing missed. You’re absolutely right, David.

The current used will increase and cause a breaker to trip unexpectedly (for the wattage being consumed) if the voltage drops low enough. W=VA, so A=W/V. As W is constant, A will increase as V gets smaller. If the current gets high enough, it will cause filaments to fail and the fridge is probably trying to prevent that by tripping out.
What stays constant is the resistance of the element so as the voltage drops so does the current and therefore the wattage.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
V=IxR seems to be the trump card here,where I is current and R is resistance.

In the example above for Michael if the resistance is constant and the change is only in the voltage then 250/230x210 would give the new wattage.

I think, hopefully somebody agrees.

Martin

EDIT Actually now hoping somebody will contradict me as I think I am wrong as the same resistance at less volts will draw less amps and W=VA would be a double whammy as less volts and less amps, I think the figure @sallylillian Michael is looking for is the one in the circle 191.40613 watts.

IMG_0742.JPG

Sorry I am getting carried away again.

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks Martin, that means that if the volts at a site drop to 210 then the watts will equal the DC element watts of 190, which as we know will only maintain temperature not cool further.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back