Free Member
Aug 24, 2009
Southsea, Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
five years
I have just purchased a Fiat Ducato mobile home. It is fitted with a sureflo 16PSI 12V water pump for onboard water. I seem to have a problem with it. It does not seem to have enough suction to pump water up to it. With the pump out and the filter in a bowl of water it seems to pump at a good rate as it has a constant supply of water. However if I connect a pipe and hold the pump 5 foot above the bowl with the pipe in the water it fails to suck up water.
If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong it would be very helpful.
PS. The motor runs well, and I have looked at the diaphragm and to me it looks ok but I am no expert.
Many Thanks
Les:Eeek:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Sounds like it has an air leak on the suction side.

If you have taken the pump chamber apart have you either distorted the housing by slightly over tightening or conversely left slightly too lose to let air in, missed any gaskets.

Are all connections airtight in hoses, It could be a problem with the diaphragm but think I would try everything else first as it will pump.

Sorry forgot to say WELCOME to MH Fun Les most remiss of me.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Les,

It is highly likely that the diagraghm is knackered and unfortunately they are no longer available as a spare part.

Make sure you do not have an air leak on the pump or the connection pipe.

I believe the ITT marine version pump has the same working parts and I hace a spare used diagraphm, PM me with your name and address and I will post it to you.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi leslie. have just rangleisure accessories who were surflo distributers they say if you give them the model number off the side of the pump they can possibly supply the parts diaphram. tel..01603414551.. must say mine as never given any trouble in 10yrs great peice of kit. cheers alan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leslie

Free Member
Aug 24, 2009
Southsea, Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
five years
Hi Les,

It is highly likely that the diagraghm is knackered and unfortunately they are no longer available as a spare part.

Make sure you do not have an air leak on the pump or the connection pipe.

I believe the ITT marine version pump has the same working parts and I hace a spare used diagraphm, PM me with your name and address and I will post it to you.

Peter
Many thanks for your offer of the diaphragm, I have been given a number of somewhere that may be able to supply a new kit. if I cannot get a kit i may well get back to you. cheers Les

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

leslie

Free Member
Aug 24, 2009
Southsea, Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
five years
hi leslie. have just rangleisure accessories who were surflo distributers they say if you give them the model number off the side of the pump they can possibly supply the parts diaphram. tel..01603414551.. must say mine as never given any trouble in 10yrs great peice of kit. cheers alan.

Thanks for the number I will ring them tommorow. Les

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I have just purchased a Fiat Ducato mobile home. It is fitted with a sureflo 16PSI 12V water pump for onboard water. I seem to have a problem with it. It does not seem to have enough suction to pump water up to it. With the pump out and the filter in a bowl of water it seems to pump at a good rate as it has a constant supply of water. However if I connect a pipe and hold the pump 5 foot above the bowl with the pipe in the water it fails to suck up water.
If anyone has any ideas as to what could be wrong it would be very helpful.
PS. The motor runs well, and I have looked at the diaphragm and to me it looks ok but I am no expert.
Many Thanks
Les:Eeek:
I doubt that a shurflo pump would create enough vacuum to suck up 5ft in normal circumstances the supply to the pump would be no more than a foot. its the output that would probably go 5ft. I would check there are no obstructions to the suction side of the pump, you could do this by back flushing with a hosepipe.Having said that any air leak or back flushing due to a perforated diaphragm would prevent any suction on the inlet side.

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
where does the pump normaly sit, surely not 5 ft above the tank!

if it draws water at low level from a free standing container it will draw from the tank.....unless the pipework between tank and pump is either blocked or letting in air.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt that a shurflo pump would create enough vacuum to suck up 5ft in normal circumstances the supply to the pump would be no more than a foot. its the output that would probably go 5ft. I would check there are no obstructions to the suction side of the pump, you could do this by back flushing with a hosepipe.Having said that any air leak or back flushing due to a perforated diaphragm would prevent any suction on the inlet side.

regards

but then it wouldnt draw water from the free standing bowl at low level either, which it does.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back