Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Am heading to the sun in Spain in early November and am toying with a month in Morocco in the New Year. Currently insured with Safeguard and just wondered if I had to upgrade my insurance before I go (But haven't settled on dates yet) or do some sort of short deal whilst out there in Spain. I did also hear that it was best to cross to the Spanish enclave in N Africa (Name escapes me) as it is less hassle etc I'm sure there are loads of you out there who can put me straight on this.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When we travelled Morocco Safeguard would only cover us from the border town of Cueta. If we broke down in Morocco we had to get back to there and then they would take over.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Am heading to the sun in Spain in early November and am toying with a month in Morocco in the New Year. Currently insured with Safeguard and just wondered if I had to upgrade my insurance before I go (But haven't settled on dates yet) or do some sort of short deal whilst out there in Spain. I did also hear that it was best to cross to the Spanish enclave in N Africa (Name escapes me) as it is less hassle etc I'm sure there are loads of you out there who can put me straight on this.
Bear in mind not all Insurance companies will cover Morocco I had to change mine last minuet,I'm sure you will check
Any recovery scheme you are in will also be void in Morocco, as they do not allow cross border recovery,
Be prepared for hassle and to bribe your way through Border control:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And fight your way out like me and Rory did:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Fortunately we had the benefit of Ray and his knowledge "Desert detours with us, it was manic to say the least, Ray settled em with some cash, but still the hasstle was something else, had I been alone Im sure I would have been locked up.
If you have been before then you will know, but it was our first time, so a bit of a shock when we realised we couldn't tell the officials from the beggers:Doh:
But a beutifull country in its own right, well worth a visit, would I go again ?
At the drop of a hat:thumb:and for longer too 3 weeks wasnt enough.
and thats coming from someone who cant do more that 10 days in one place on a package tour
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
safeguard normally will cover morocco if you ask them before you leave uk. (its easier). they used to give a white slip of paper that causes hassle at border as it should be a proper green card format. it is also possible to have recovery in morocco.yes you may have to push it over the frontier or get a friend to tow you over,. saga gives cover thro out the cover of your green card with them .(all territories on card).ceuta could be the cheapestcrossing this year it does change. i like tangers do passport on boat only vehicle on border in maroc. not alot of difference in fuel costs these days so tanger is easier if you want to head down the coast. think 1 month is not long enough if you can do the full 3months. stay warm ,can be chilly in spain. i say head south along the coast lots places and lots of people to travel with .may bump into you . hope to be there as well. have fun alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also best not to give bribes or bacsheesh it just makes them greedy . did the first time but havnt paid bacsheesh since late 70,s they get wages . just get in your van n refuse to move . thats why i like tangers i can snake across both lines of vehicles and if i get grief nobody goes anywhere. or ask for the tourist police that works as well. forget the fags idea you been watching too many movies. these days they ask for 10 or 20 quid fags is for children. great place though worth all the hassle , like water off a ducks back. cheers alan.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I did also hear that it was best to cross to the Spanish enclave in N Africa (Name escapes me) as it is less hassle etc I'm sure there are loads of you out there who can put me straight on this.

I heard someone say "better to travel to Tangier then some ( all ? ) of the formalities can be done on the Spanish mainland. They may be wrong but it is an alternative view.

Don't expect too much of Moroccan camp sites but we could not fault the country or the people. I'm sure you'll be safer there than in Spain.

We were very surprised at how green and damp the north is, you need to head a few hundred miles south before it gets dry. Essouria is lovely.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never known any formalities done on spanish mainland. best get insurance here in english, green card in lots languages. justy be calm leave someone in van at borders lockdoors . you do need to head south and get away from border towns to enjoy the country. essouira down is even better. but sidi kouki is a must. just bellow essouira. ten head south ,turn left at tiznite and head to tafroute in the mountains. see you there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back