Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
OK, so I'm soon to retire (about 120 attendances to put in yet), and my wife & I had decided that UK and European travel is on the agenda.... and somehow we had decided that a motor home is the way to go.
We've never had one, and neither of us had ever been in one. (We once stayed in a static caravan for a week.... and we can do tents)
So, whilst visiting away from home, we looked at a Motorhome dealer place (Lowdhams nr Nottingham). Loads of them. Very confusing. Lots of names we'd never heard of, with lots of differing layouts, and lots of things we didn't understand. The prices, even well second-hand, were also a bit of a shock. We gave up.

Easy decision: put it all off until I've actually retired.

Fine, except that, by chance, I found that some folks we vaguely know in the next village were selling their motorhome. Too old to look at we said.... oh what the hell, we'll go and look anyway as its a nice evening...... and somehow we have agreed to buy a motorhome.

It is a Mercedes-based Rapido 779 LeRandonneur dating from 2000 with many (many) knobs & whistles and extras included. I's apparently in good nick, with everything working, and hasn't done excessive mileage.

It's all a bit scary. Research now required in "how to motorhome".
Myriads of things we've never thought about.
My wife's happy. After some thinking and research she has decided the van is to be called Bertha

• Where do we stay?
  • Where can we stay?
  • Will we have to book well ahead to stay anywhere?
  • Is a Britstops book something to invest in?
  • What about becoming Caravan Club members? It's 48 quid every year! Is it worth it?
  • What about breakdown cover? Best buys?
  • How long will gas last?
  • Will we be warm enough at night?
  • Sleeping bags or duvet?
  • Will the bikes be OK on the back?
  • What's that thing with the wires?
  • Can we safely drink the water from the internal tanks, or will they need sterilising occasionally?
  • What are all the switches for....?
  • 3-way fridge? How does the fridge know what its doing?
  • Will a 3 bottle wine rack be enough?
  • Will I forget that it hasn't got a clutch?

Oh gosh....
Any advice and suggestions gratefully received.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Why don't you come to one of the Fun Rallies - loads of folks will be happy to take you through it's paces.
And,
welcome animated smiley.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, in this country we always book in Europe it is a different matter, we use a duvet, gas, depends on the time of year, 3 bottles of wine is never enough, try to get insurance that includes breakdown cover, but most of all enjoy. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hello and welcome Oh so many questions, we have all been there. Read the forums and ask away. You will get some decent answers as well as some banter. Very well worth spending the £15 yearly membership on as no doubt you will have more than 5 1s or comments to make..money well spent...Penny wise it is here :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Welcome on board. There is a whole load of useful information and very helpful people on here - and banter if you like it. Well worth joining up fully and getting to a rally or meet. Whatever problem you have, someone will have seen it before and know how to deal with it/fix it/kick it/whatever. Rapido on a Merc chassis is definitely a very good choice

.......and no - you need a bigger wine rack

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
OK, so I'm soon to retire (about 120 attendances to put in yet), and my wife & I had decided that UK and European travel is on the agenda.... and somehow we had decided that a motor home is the way to go.
We've never had one, and neither of us had ever been in one. (We once stayed in a static caravan for a week.... and we can do tents)
So, whilst visiting away from home, we looked at a Motorhome dealer place (Lowdhams nr Nottingham). Loads of them. Very confusing. Lots of names we'd never heard of, with lots of differing layouts, and lots of things we didn't understand. The prices, even well second-hand, were also a bit of a shock. We gave up.

Fine, except that, by chance, I found that some folks we vaguely know in the next village were selling their motorhome. Too old to look at we said.... oh what the hell, we'll go and look anyway as its a nice evening...... and somehow we have agreed to buy a motorhome.

It is a Mercedes-based Rapido 779 LeRandonneur dating from 2000 with many (many) knobs & whistles and extras included. I's apparently in good nick, with everything working, and hasn't done excessive mileage.

My wife's happy. After some thinking and research she has decided the van is to be called Bertha

• Where do we stay?
  • Where can we stay?
  • What about becoming Caravan Club members? It's 48 quid every year! Is it worth it?
  • Can we safely drink the water from the internal tanks, or will they need sterilising occasionally?

Oh gosh....

Hi and a big :welcomesign:

Too many questions to answer all at once!! You have done the best bit first, use this forum, search the threads, you will get umpteen answers to every question.
Best bit of advice I can give is try it out in a small way first, don't be too ambitious and travel the world until you have some knowledge behind you.... Start with weekends, you don't need to travel far then if you find you have forgotten something you can remember for next time or nip back and get it. Try a few smaller rallies, most people are always keen to help newbies.
Don't try to do too much too soon, it will all make sence in the end.
As for jointing the clubs, it can be worth if provided you make used of the sites, particularly the CL's and CS's, just remember most are quite basic so do your research first. Whatever you do, enjoy the adventure........:clap:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome and I'm sure you won't regret your purchase. The only thing you really need to do is get it checked for damp, though given you have already bought it let's hope there isn't a problem as it can cost thousands to fix. :)

But I don't want to be a purveyor of gloom and once you have bought the essentials such as a corkscrew you can give the MH a run out after perhaps a night on the drive first working out how the electrics, heating and water systems work. :D

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
First, don't panic.
You will do one thing at a time and it'll all be fine.

The motorhome you're buying is very popular in France and has a good reputation. I met several motorhomers while I lived in France who wouldn't own anything else and I could see why.

When you get your van, sleep in it on your drive for a couple of nights. You won't remember what every knob and switch is for but you will work it out.

You won't freeze even in the middle of winter. I set off from France ( where I lived) for a six week holiday in the UK. Long story short,no ended up full timing for 9 months, in Wiltshire, with 2 cats and 2 dogs. Not only did we all survive, I enjoyed it so much I went home for 3 months, then did another year full timing ( in the UK again).

Well worth £15 membership for Fun--/ you'll get help, answers and all the support you need. Enjoy retirement and your motorhome, don't put these things off--- enjoy them now.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hello and welcome to motorhoming. I agree with The Dude, join a rally.

Failing that, just go away for the weekend, not too far from home, and post questions when you return. If you select a Camping and Caravanning or Caravan club that accepts non members you can then decide whether worth it to join and also on these sites you will find many helpful fellow Motorhomers. I am member of Caravan club as I like the small Camping Location sites only available to u to 5 units at a time and to members. C and CC have similar system. I also find the insurance and discounted ferry prices can make up for the cost of membership.

For your first couple of trips, just take things you already have at home, bedding for your bed, cutlery crockery etc. Then you can plan what to buy.

If you have any concerns about driving I would recommend a course run by one of the two aforementioned clubs.

Hope t read about your adventures soon.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Another thumbs up for @The Dude comments about joining a rally as you'll be surrounded by people who will be able to help if you get stuck.

When we bought ours we went odd for a weekend with another newbie and spent the whole time trying to,work out what all the buttons did. What we knew, they didn't and vice versa. Lots of fun.

We shopped around for insurance and a really important thing for us was european breakdown cover and unlimited windscreen cover.

We're in the camping and caravan club and have the britstops book.

3 bottles of wine is a good start!

We keep our bikes on the back with a good bike lock and cover. We keep them covered over so would be thieves don't know what's there and it would take a bit more effort if they were determined. We also keep the more expensive bike at the back.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Park on your own drive for the week end. See what you'll need, see how the fridge works, read the manuals in the evening, twist the knobs in the morning and see what happens. Forgot the plates or knife and fork? they are indoors!
Run out of gas? jump in the car.
But most of all, enjoy!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Hello and welcome. All the advice given thus far is great and something Steve and I followed. First night spent in our MH was on the drive. Then we spent two nights away just a few miles from home. Then we went a bit further for another two nights. Our next trip is to Poland! The best advice I can give you is ENJOY......and buy a bigger wine rack. Mind you we haven't got a wine rack. But the fridge is full! (y)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
:welcomesign:

From pat & Les, fellow Cumbrian's!
Lots of sites here without going too far for practice runs.(y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp

• Where do we stay?
  • Where can we stay?

Oh gosh....

Welcome, enjoy what will be exciting times ahead believe me
Not sure if you have access to all the forums not being a member, however every question you have asked without doubt there is an answer (and different opinions) on the site and for £15 well worth it as am sure you will want to ask more questions (your only allowed 5 as a non member) when given an answer
There are some very knowledgable people on here who are more than happy to help and there advice will be invaluable long term and save you far more than the membership fee

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and somehow we have agreed to buy a motorhome..

Brilliant. We've had folk who have taken 10 years to make their minds.

Stop whinging about details. Throw in some food wine fuel and go learn the hard way. You could join the Camping and Caravan Club if you want the easy option for a pitch.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there and a big welcome to you both:welcomesign:
MHF is a great place to start.it is a great resource for all things Motorhome and bit of jovial banter along the way.
Enjoy your Motorhome.
Brian & Jo

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Hi and welcome.:WelcomeFlag:
If you haven't already,£15 o subscribe to Motorhomefun will be a wise investment.
Then you can search every a of motorhming on here and ask as many
questions as you like!
Good luck with Bertha,you will love her!:):)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Welcome neighbour, not sure which part of Cumbria your in, but I'm happy to help.
You can spend a few days on my driveway if you want, that way we're on hand to explain everything you need to know.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Welcome neighbour, not sure which part of Cumbria your in, but I'm happy to help.
You can spend a few days on my driveway if you want, that way we're on hand to explain everything you need to know.
Very kind offer, hopefully you won't be on hand at 3.59am with advice:eek:(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back