Have you got a tracker fitted to your van/car or bike? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
If so let's hope the scrote that wants to nick it doesn't have one of these

2015 Mini Cigarette Lighter Anti-Tracker Blocker

Type the above into the search window on e-bay

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
GPS is very easy to jam, but if they use the lighter socket they will have to keep the ignition on all the time for it to work. Also it seems they are very low power units and are unlikely to affect trackers in larger vehicles some way from the dashboard. An easy solution would be to install the tracker inside one of those gland boxes on the roof especially one already in us for something else, clear line of sight signal for GPS and the jammer shielded by the van body.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My tracker works on GPS.....and mobile phone cellular locationing and initial movement alert is via SMS

The gadget may block GPS but it even states it doesnt affect mobile phone signals.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Does anybody know if the Thatcham approved trackers are ALL subscription based, monitored ones or are there non managed approved ones. I ask because Comfort demand an alarm AND a tracker for the new van because of the cost of it. The monitored ones are quite pricey and ongoing expenses that nearly overtake the cost of the insurance. It will be going to Devon for an alarm fitting when I get it and can get booked in but in the meantiime it is NOT insured for theft. Also I understand if a vehicle is stolen with a self monitored tracker, then the Police will not take your word for where it is or where it is going and take no action for unverified information.
Has anybody got real world advice or experiences with these.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Does anybody know if the Thatcham approved trackers are ALL subscription based, monitored ones or are there non managed approved ones. I ask because Comfort demand an alarm AND a tracker for the new van because of the cost of it. The monitored ones are quite pricey and ongoing expenses that nearly overtake the cost of the insurance. It will be going to Devon for an alarm fitting when I get it and can get booked in but in the meantiime it is NOT insured for theft. Also I understand if a vehicle is stolen with a self monitored tracker, then the Police will not take your word for where it is or where it is going and take no action for unverified information.
I think that they are all subscription based, unfortunately. Usually you have 28 days to get it all sorted. Eddie VanBitz is the "go to" man

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
My tracker works on GPS.....and mobile phone cellular locationing and initial movement alert is via SMS

The gadget may block GPS but it even states it doesnt affect mobile phone signals.

The problem with mobile phone trackers is that it is not always accurate, we had a tracker that when on phone positioning showed that the van was half a mile away, not much good for finding it in a town. You can also get mobile phone jammers, not legal here, just as a GPS jammer is illegal but they aere already criminals

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016

I've just insured our new van with Comfort and there was no mention of needing an alarm - they did want to know what tracker I had on it but other than that there was just the stipulation that I don't leave it unattended for more than 36 hours when it's not on the drive.
Just checked the schedule again and it is the only requirement - the tracker needs to be an Aviva approved tracker and subscribed at the time.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020

Sounds like you did the deal then - nice one!(y)

We had to have a category 5 tracker fitted for insurance purposes, and yes, they cost a fortune to have installed and subscribe to. But I guess it's less than the hit you'd take if the MH was stolen and there was no theft cover.

Main point is that there area a wide range of tracker types and Thatham categories, not all of which are acceptable to certain insurers. The Cat 5 cost was about twice that of some Cat 6 ( strangely for some confusing reason 5 is "better " than 6), and there were relatively few suppliers.

So just saying its a minefield, and I'd suggest to go for the highest spec you can get hold of as going forward to next year and beyond, it will give you more choice of insurance as if you've got a better one than the insurer wants they'll be fine, but if it's not as good as they want, you'll have to fork out again..

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I have a tracker fitted by Tracker its on its own by that I mean it's not wired into vans electrical system , battery life is 5 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back